Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > NYC: Not the hole the media makes it out to be.

NYC: Not the hole the media makes it out to be.
iM@k
Senior User
Jun 8, 2009, 05:52 PM

So this past sat I made a "test trip" to NYC to prepare myself for my trip int he fall (I was in the area to attend a friends party in Easton, CT, and came down the night before into the city).

I decided for this "test trip" I would go to a place I've always wanted to visit: The Natural History Museum.

Taking the 7 West and transferring to the A uptown (The C was out of service due to maintenance). Then after exploring the museum (fortunately we started with the best stuff at the top and worked are way down. We were so worn out after just the 4th and 3rd floors, we practically ran through the 2nd and 1st.).

After the museum we reversed our inbound trip with a slight deviation tip the Tick Tock diner (I'd rate it A- as far as diners go).

The only trouble we had the whole trip was the sign at the museum subway stop pointing the wrong way for inbound/outbound platforms which got us confused, so we took the up town train by accident but only by one stop.

Other then that I actually found the New York people to be nice enough. The waitress at the diner even joked around with us.

Now that I have a taste of the NYC transit system, I am now prepared for the "big Trip" in the fall.
What, me worry?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2009, 05:55 PM

I wouldn't expect the Natural History Museum to be a hole, either.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2009, 06:02 PM

There are plenty of nice people in "The City" I just hate how garbage bags are lined up on the sidewalk with mystery liquid oozing from them into the streets and their stench (especially in the summer) suffocating everyone within 50 feet.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2009, 06:54 PM

I love NYC. People don't suffer fools gladly, but I see that as a benefit.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
I love NYC. People don't suffer fools gladly, but I see that as a benefit.
Absolutely true. You can walk up to a stranger on the street and have a brief, sincere conversation with them and be on your way. But, New Yorkers can smell false sincerity from a mile away and will have no part of it. (And let you know they want no part of it.)

As for the City being a hole, it hasn't been that bad since the early 90s. Statistically speaking it is safer than a lot of your smaller cities. Of course, their massive, heavily armed police force might have something to do with that. NYC cops love to shoot bad guys (even if they turn out to be good guys).
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

iM@k  (op)
Senior User
Jun 8, 2009, 08:16 PM

The only ctitisims I have are:

1. Wash the stair hand rails. Being gimp I usually need to hold onto them when going up and down stairs and it's the first time, I've every NEEDED to go wash my hands after going up and down stairs (Grant you should after touching any such surface in a big city, but usually the rails aren't COVERED in other peoples hand sweat to the extent it fells like it's been lubed with Crisco).

2. Walking from the brightly lit GCT into the catacombs that are the boarding platforms is a bit of a freaky, yet cool experience. I realize there's nothing exciting or real need to light more of it, but I'd hate to be achluophobic and having to use this station.
What, me worry?

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2009, 11:12 PM

Love NYC! The city, the people... all good. My trips there have been fantastic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules