Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X and Norton Utilities 6.0 or Techtool Pro 3.03

OS X and Norton Utilities 6.0 or Techtool Pro 3.03
rado30
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2001, 05:23 PM

I want to run Norton Utilities 6.0 and/or Techtool Pro 3.03 on my G4 DP 450 with OS X/OS 9.1 but I have some questions first.

First, I haven't heard anything on the compatibility of Techtool Pro 3.03 with OS X, can I use it with, does anyone know whats up with Micromat?

Second, I read on the Symantec website that Norton 6.0 and Anti-Virus 7.0 will work on the 2001 Titanium Powerbook and on other Macs that were released before 2001 thats not the problem my G4 fits in that category, my question is, I heard that some files in OS X start with a "." (somthing to do with the UNIX code) and Norton 6.0 wants to fix them and change them to a "_", are there any other file types that Norton 6.0 will want to fix that I should leave alone?

And third, I also want to optimize my HD (Speed Disk), is that going cause any problems with OS X/9.1?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2001, 05:29 PM

ed by rado30:
I want to run Norton Utilities 6.0 and/or Techtool Pro 3.03 on my G4 DP 450 with OS X/OS 9.1 but I have some questions first.

First, I haven't heard anything on the compatibility of Techtool Pro 3.03 with OS X, can I use it with, does anyone know whats up with Micromat?

Second, I read on the Symantec website that Norton 6.0 and Anti-Virus 7.0 will work on the 2001 Titanium Powerbook and on other Macs that were released before 2001 thats not the problem my G4 fits in that category, my question is, I heard that some files in OS X start with a "." (somthing to do with the UNIX code) and Norton 6.0 wants to fix them and change them to a "_", are there any other file types that Norton 6.0 will want to fix that I should leave alone?

And third, I also want to optimize my HD (Speed Disk), is that going cause any problems with OS X/9.1?
[/QUOTE]

TechTool Pro 3.03 is not compatible with OS X but Norton is. Micormat is coming out with a Nifty new product called Drive X.

I have had no problems with Norton at all. Also speed disk works well.
You should also get Disk Warrior.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2001, 05:49 PM

OS X maintains a Super Block Table of inodes to track where files and free space is maintained. There are multiple copies, and it defers writes to improve system performance (which on a server makes sense). It's also faster using and updating a memory based table. But if it crashes, it has to check the copies and current version to repair before you can be up and running successfully.

I have a feeling that 9.1 still uses Volume Header Blocks and that those are out of sync with OS X's tables at this point.

Norton 6.0 was tested against the Public Beta. HFS+ hasn't changed much. Boot blocks have. And Intech HDST 3.2 didn't contain any info on changes req'd or OS X either. So if there is a problem with table blocks, they should have been identified before.

The reason that Disk First Aid gives false reports of INODE being incorrect is that it is looking at the copy on disk and not the one in memory - if you try to verify a volume while running, you really can't w/o a force update to the super block.

I get a Major Error from Norton DD 6.0 every time I run it in 9.1 even if it was a short session and I logout out (should update the table), and then Restart or Shutdown/reboot into 9.1

Disk Warrior 2.1 and Norton and TTPro can handle the Directory from what I have been reading. But the Volume table of contents structure? Btree?

Gregory

dmcknigh
Apr 6, 2001, 06:06 PM

I would only use Norton 6 right now and *only* norton 6. I don't know if this was bad luck or what but I ran my older norton 5 (NDD and speed disk) out of habit on my OSX partiton and it got toasted. It could have been damage to the directory before then, but I'm not 100% sure. I've since removed Norton 5 to avoid this potantial disaster again.

dapopster
Apr 7, 2001, 09:25 AM

One problem I have read about elsewhere is that if you let Norton "fix" file names it will "fix" file-names with leading periods, which would screw up some internal OSX files. I don't know if this refers to pre-6 or what, but be warned that this option should be unchecked when running Norton on an OSX system.

(If I'm wrong about this someone please correct me.)

Mike

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2001, 10:29 AM

The current versions of NDD no longer try to fix names beginning with a period.

FWIW, I've been using NDD 6.x with Mac OS X 10.0 every few days without apparent problems. YMMV.

------------------
Since EBCDIC
Make every post count!
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules