Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple Removed the $699 iPhone 3GS!

Apple Removed the $699 iPhone 3GS!
LEStudios
Banned
Jun 26, 2009, 09:44 PM

I discovered that Apple has removed the ability to but the iPhone 3G and or 3GS without a contract. I saved it in my carts they now state that it have to be with a 2 Year Contract for purchase!

iPhones purchased on the Apple Online Store require an AT&T wireless service contract. Please return to the iPhone product page to review your eligibility, check out pricing, and select an AT&T rate plan.

Anybody else pissed off about this?
( Last edited by LEStudios; Jun 28, 2009 at 07:33 AM. )

Cold Warrior
Jun 27, 2009, 12:25 AM

Is this really new? I thought only ATT sold it for that high price contract-free.

LEStudios  (op)
Banned
Jun 27, 2009, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Is this really new? I thought only ATT sold it for that high price contract-free.
No actually Apple could and there was hack using Firefox to get it without contract. I had mine saved in Shopping Cart. When they remove it that took it out of All my Saved Carts. I wanted the 32GB Black.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2009, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by LEStudios View Post
... there was hack using Firefox to get it without contract. ...
LOL!!!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2009, 02:14 AM

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2009, 11:54 AM

For how long were you planning to use the iPhone?

You know you don't get to pay less per month it you are contract-free. Right?

Unless you are planning to travel outside the country you are at right now, or sell it. Then you must go to your local iPhone-licensing cellphone salescenter.

LEStudios  (op)
Banned
Jun 27, 2009, 07:46 PM

Dude I had the Original iPhone 16GB on Prepaid or GoPhone plan Pick Your Plan. I can't do the Contract thing and chance it on screwing up my credit. I mean keep in mind Contract with monthly is costing with tax on Unlimited Anytime, Unlimited Data and Unlimited Text is $172 monthly!

DmbShn41
Jul 18, 2009, 07:32 PM

Be honest with yourself...Realistically, how many minutes are you going to use? What are you..17? Screw your credit up? If you can drop $600+ for the phone, then I'm pretty sure you can handle a $99 monthly bill. Me and my wife have 2100 shared minutes, unlimited text. Between the handful of AT&T customers we talk to once a week, and the quadrillion phone calls that I make all over the country, and her with her umpteen friends, it's not uncommon for us to rollover 500 minutes every month. In fact I dropped down to the 1400 plan until my rollover minute balance got low, then kicked back up the 2100 minute plan. AT&T says you cound't do it, apparently it worked for me.

Fact of the matter is, unless you're that G damn important, or a pimp with ho's to keep in line, then you don't need no unlimited minute plan. And if it's that big of a deal, go hit up Verizon, I hear they're giving away junk for free. That more atracting to you? Like a guy trying to buy a Lexus asking for a handout...
Intel iMac - 17" 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 1 GB RAM 150GB HDD
MB 13" - Early 2010 Model iPod Touch - 16GB
iPad - 16GB WiFi iPhone 3GS - 16GB

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
Be honest with yourself...Realistically, how many minutes are you going to use? What are you..17? Screw your credit up? If you can drop $600+ for the phone, then I'm pretty sure you can handle a $99 monthly bill. Me and my wife have 2100 shared minutes, unlimited text. Between the handful of AT&T customers we talk to once a week, and the quadrillion phone calls that I make all over the country, and her with her umpteen friends, it's not uncommon for us to rollover 500 minutes every month. In fact I dropped down to the 1400 plan until my rollover minute balance got low, then kicked back up the 2100 minute plan. AT&T says you cound't do it, apparently it worked for me.

Fact of the matter is, unless you're that G damn important, or a pimp with ho's to keep in line, then you don't need no unlimited minute plan. And if it's that big of a deal, go hit up Verizon, I hear they're giving away junk for free. That more atracting to you? Like a guy trying to buy a Lexus asking for a handout...
The price they're charging for unlimited gas with a new Lexus purchase these days is appalling!

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by LEStudios View Post
Dude I had the Original iPhone 16GB on Prepaid or GoPhone plan Pick Your Plan. I can't do the Contract thing and chance it on screwing up my credit. I mean keep in mind Contract with monthly is costing with tax on Unlimited Anytime, Unlimited Data and Unlimited Text is $172 monthly!
I also have a Prepaid Pick Your Plan iPhone G1. All you have to do is walk into an Apple store and buy the iPhone 3GS at the no contract price ($699) and swap in your prepaid SIM when you get home. I did that and my 3GS works fine prepaid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules