Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your ideal environment

Your ideal environment
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2006, 02:25 PM

I'm curious to hear from you on this issue, as it is something I've thought about for a while...

What would be an ideal environment for you, hypothetically speaking? Are you a big or small city guy? Rural guy? Do you need to be near a place where you can checkout a ball game? Hear concerts? Shopping? A big house or apartment? Pet friendly? Certain kind of political climate? Climate?

I'm curious to hear all of your answers to this...

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2006, 02:27 PM

Probably living in Waikiki would be my ideal environment, but then again, I fit in just about anywhere

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 02:49 PM

I like being in the city (or, more like, within walking distance) but fairly quiet.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2006, 02:56 PM

I definitely prefer city versus rural, although the size of the city is not terribly important, as long as there is a decent public transportation system and job opportunities. DC is perfect for me at the moment. Right now I'm in a "transitional" neighborhood that reminds me of my time in downtown Albany.

The only thing I hate about DC so far is the climate. I moved here in June into a place without air conditioning.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Railroader
Banned
Oct 14, 2006, 03:04 PM

Rural. Wooded. Zone 5-ish.

The kind of place where I can't hear or see my neighbor.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2006, 09:30 PM

I enjoy being in a suburb of a big city, where I have shopping malls on every corner and PetsMart with a Chili's in every strip mall. Currently, all I need is a large apartment that must allow dogs. I enjoy hot summers and cold-ass winters.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 10:33 PM

My favorite is San Diego, CA. I currently live in El Segundo, CA which is nice, but not as nice as San Diego.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 11:34 PM

I forgot to mention Antiqua.

vexborg
Senior User
Oct 15, 2006, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Rural. Wooded. Zone 5-ish.

The kind of place where I can't hear or see my neighbor.
Indeed, the further away the neighbors are, the better!

At the moment, I'm so sick and tired of the 2 legged rats... eh, children in the street. No respect for anything which isn't theirs! Bloody council children!
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2006, 06:34 AM

Somewhere near the ocean in a sub-tropical to moderate climate. "Hilly" area, bordering on a forest, 1/2 hour drive away from a fair to large sized city (that has an Apple store! ) like San Fransisco or San Diego.

A liberal community, maybe 10-50 000 inhabitantas. A house, only 2 stories with a large pet (dog) firendly back-yard, lots of trees, a garage!!!, and 500 Mbit DSL.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2006, 07:48 AM

I've gone through every phase in my life.

I lived in very rural, to a 2nd tear city and now in DC. They all have their pros and cons. I would really like to live somewhere where I had a lawn and a little room where I was a nice drive or bike ride to something, but the older I get, the less I like the city.

I guess I would really just like a work room to tinker around in.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2006, 08:25 AM

I like living in the city, but I need a rural retreat. Next year we'll be saving up for a down-payment on a small farm or similar.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2006, 07:38 AM

I'm with Rickey. Joke's on me if he was mocking the suburbs, I guess. As much as I'd like that loft on the 30th floor in downtown Portland/Seattle/Vancouver/Toronto... I'm too used to the 'burbs now. I like my pool and having a backyard for my son. I like the relative quiet and the relative safety of the bland land of sprawl. I like the IDEA of pro sports and museums and what-not, but in reality it's very rare when I take advantage of any of that.

Still, my wife and I say, we will downsize to the city when there are no longer kids in the mix.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2006, 07:50 AM

Smallish village with a few small necessities shops and a pub or two- within an hour of a good sized city. Ideally near the coast.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 08:11 AM

The Holodeck.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2006, 08:28 AM

I wish I lived in a place where there was more of a sense of community and you knew people on the street and storekeepers, and were people weren't always running everywhere. I'm not even very fond of the seedy "nightlife" in my city. I would trade that for simpler things of more substance any day.

I think I would feel best in a progressive, but not ultra-fast-paced town, much like where my grandfather's family lived in in Cuba.

Originally Posted by Dakar²
The Holodeck.
Nice, but you still couldn't live in the the Holodeck.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 08:31 AM

Test me.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2006, 10:46 AM

Where the food is good.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Rumor
Oct 16, 2006, 12:44 PM

The Playboy Mansion.

On a serious note, I live here:

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

USB HUB
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2006, 12:44 PM

I've lived in all three (city/burbs/rural) and I think I prefer the rural environment. A few acres, close to shopping (5-10 miles), and near a lake for fishing and relaxation. Actually Lake of the Ozarks is my kind of place!!!!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
On a serious note, I live here:
Mendocino? (Oh, checked image URL, I was right )

Personally, I don't know that I'll ever leave the Bay Area, love it here. I could see myself living in the North Bay but that commute is a killer.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2006, 05:53 PM

big city with lots of buildings and busy people.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
I'm curious to hear from you on this issue, as it is something I've thought about for a while...

What would be an ideal environment for you, hypothetically speaking? Are you a big or small city guy? Rural guy? Do you need to be near a place where you can checkout a ball game? Hear concerts? Shopping? A big house or apartment? Pet friendly? Certain kind of political climate? Climate?

I'm curious to hear all of your answers to this...
Naked women everywhere, and all beautiful, between 25 and 35 years of age.

Also, a couple dozen of cases of single malt.

Weather should be like a warm, sunny fall day. Indian Summer.

That is it.

For now...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 06:16 PM

heh heh heh

besson3c from another site:
"Well, I'm curious to know what your answer to this will be since I've thought about this a lot...

What would be an ideal environment for you, hypothetically speaking? Are you a big or small city guy? Rural guy? Do you need to be near a place where you can checkout a ball game? Hear concerts? Shopping? A big house or apartment? Pet friendly?

I'm curious to hear all of your answers to this..."

Railroader
Banned
Oct 17, 2006, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by vexborg View Post
Indeed, the further away the neighbors are, the better!

At the moment, I'm so sick and tired of the 2 legged rats... eh, children in the street. No respect for anything which isn't theirs! Bloody council children!
Really? It's the idiot adults that bother me more than any child.

Monique
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2006, 03:38 PM

My ideal environment would be like this:

I work at major museum in London or Paris, then I am a guide for children only.

Then I go home, put the kettle on and have a cup of tea. At night time I watch the tele, on my left there is a fireplace and on my right a 52 inches plasma tv. Once in a while I receive the visit of my rich and married lover (that way he never sleeps over), and I go to the symphony, the ballet, the theatre. Walk on the beautiful streets of Paris or London. If I live in Paris, I go and visit castles during the weekend, if London I walk along the river Thames.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
My ideal environment would be like this:

I work at major museum in London or Paris, then I am a guide for children only.

Then I go home, put the kettle on and have a cup of tea. At night time I watch the tele, on my left there is a fireplace and on my right a 52 inches plasma tv. Once in a while I receive the visit of my rich and married lover (that way he never sleeps over), and I go to the symphony, the ballet, the theatre. Walk on the beautiful streets of Paris or London. If I live in Paris, I go and visit castles during the weekend, if London I walk along the river Thames.
YOU ONLY LIKES MENS CAUSE THERE RICH AND ALL MONEY AND NO BRAINS

Monique
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
YOU ONLY LIKES MENS CAUSE THERE RICH AND ALL MONEY AND NO BRAINS
Actually the man I find most attractive now, Robert, is 6 feet 2 inches, weight probably aroun 260 pounds, has a belly. But he is so cute, fun, nice, and I dreamed he would put his hands on me every day. I love looking at him and hear his voice (he has a very deep voice). I would like so much to give him lots of physical pleasure. I do not know if he is rich but he has a wife that does not even give a massage at the end of the day. I would love to lay my hands on him. And he is very intelligent.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2006, 03:51 PM

LOL

At least she is honest.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2006, 03:53 PM

oooo Monique. just made it hot in here. damn woman!

Rumor
Oct 17, 2006, 03:54 PM

Actually the man I find most attractive now, Robert, is 6 feet 2 inches, weight probably aroun 260 pounds, has a belly. But he is so cute, fun, nice, and I dreamed he would put his hands on me every day. I love looking at him and hear his voice (he has a very deep voice). I would like so much to give him lots of physical pleasure. I do not know if he is rich but he has a wife that does not even give a massage at the end of the day. I would love to lay my hands on him. And he is very intelligent.
????

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2006, 03:58 PM

My ideal environment is taking Reese Witherspoon's place, and laying my hands on this married man a la Monique.

Monique
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
????
No he looks different, he does not have a beard, he has a gotti and pure blue eyes, you look at them and you do not want to look at nothing else, except his chest, he has a lot of hair. I wonder what he looks like naked. Some men have hair just where your shirt open but then nothing below that. In my fantasy, we are in bed together then he slowly put his hand below my belt and carress me until I truly enjoy myself. Then he goes on top of me and enter me at first gently then furiously while giving me passionate french kisses. I guess that would be another ideal environment too.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2006, 04:02 PM

Big clean city with warm weather and people who keep to themselves.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
heh heh heh

"Well, I'm curious to know what your answer to this will be since I've thought about this a lot...

What would be an ideal environment for you, hypothetically speaking? Are you a big or small city guy? Rural guy? Do you need to be near a place where you can checkout a ball game? Hear concerts? Shopping? A big house or apartment? Pet friendly?

There's another site that besson3c frequents behind our backs? I feel so used! What are we, chopped liver? I'll bet that site has no pictures of llamas....

In any case, I'm a city boy at heart, but I've gained more of an appreciation for the rural life as of late. Suburbia is stifling and artificial.

Rumor
Oct 17, 2006, 04:08 PM

No he looks different, he does not have a beard, he has a gotti and pure blue eyes, you look at them and you do not want to look at nothing else, except his chest, he has a lot of hair. I wonder what he looks like naked. Some men have hair just where your shirt open but then nothing below that. In my fantasy, we are in bed together then he slowly put his hand below my belt and carress me until I truly enjoy myself. Then he goes on top of me and enter me at first gently then furiously while giving me passionate french kisses. I guess that would be another ideal environment too.
Someone needs some, umm, .....attention.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2006, 04:09 PM

For spring and summer, I would like to live somewhere in NE Scotland, maybe Deeside or St. Andrews.

Then when autumn comes I would get out of there, and live somewhere warm and charming like Charleston SC or Barcelona ES.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2006, 04:26 PM

heh heh heh

What you mean Fuzzy Wombat? I run that message board (although there isn't much to do, it runs itself).

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2006, 04:29 PM

This thread has gotten really sexy!

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What you mean Fuzzy Wombat? I run that message board (although there isn't much to do, it runs itself).
Is Fuzzy Wombat run by fuzzy wombats? That might explain why it runs itself, the hampsters that run MacNN are too lazy.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2006, 04:41 PM

No he looks different, he does not have a beard, he has a gotti and pure blue eyes, you look at them and you do not want to look at nothing else
does he look like this guy??

Monique
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2006, 04:54 PM

A little yes.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2006, 04:58 PM

Your roommate?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2006, 05:10 PM

A little yes.

*blushes*

part 2:

Originally Posted by Dakar� View Post
Your roommate?
nope

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2006, 05:13 PM

You? I thought you were in highschool.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Really? It's the idiot adults that bother me more than any child.
You ain't met many British children lately then.
...from about age eight, they (some, not all) tend to know their rights and know how much damage they can do to your property before plod will bother to show up.

I bought a rental property in another suburb of my city. Day before I signed, there's loads of news stories about ten-year-olds in the area hitting random people over the head with the sharp end of an axe. Needless to say that about a half-hour after signing I sold the place (for a bit of a profit, obviously) to some guy who'd been pestering me to sell it to him (I originally beat him to the holding deposit). They're still axing folks, as far as I can tell.

Back on topic...

Anywhere. Don't care where, provided it meets expectations:
No commies. No socialists. No taxes. No neighbours. No Windows users. No gas company workmen hassling me about mandatory meter inspections. Freedom to impale burglars on a stake in the front garden. Just the usual stuff, you know.

I reckon I probably need my own private island.

Rumor
Oct 17, 2006, 05:55 PM

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Here you go Doofy. Exumas Waterfront Real Estate
Heh, thanks.

I've actually had my eye on another one of their properties.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
You ain't met many British children lately then.
...from about age eight, they (some, not all) tend to know their rights and know how much damage they can do to your property before plod will bother to show up.

Oy you ****in well outa order, we just 'angin innit, ****in fascist

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
You? I thought you were in highschool.
College...check out the roommate thread. Senior, right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules