Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > powermac G5 POWER FAILURE! (video inside)

powermac G5 POWER FAILURE! (video inside)
sleeper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2008, 04:30 PM

hi guys.

mine is a powermac G5 dual core 2.3 GHz.

I have this power issue which the PM refuses to turn it self on.(see my youtube video for more detail). and yes, I already try to remove all my RAM,VIDEO CARD,HD, etc.. and still doesnt work. and I read about Apple extension program about replacing the power supply. and yet, I took mine to the nearest apple store, and have them replaced the power supply. but still, my PM wont turn on!! heeelp me!! the guy from apple store also cant figured it out whats went wrong aboout my G5. my G5 is till overnight at the apple store,and its already been almost a month now. they said they are trying to test the prosessor by replacing them by the same spec.

and if the problem within the prosesor, I'm sure i cannot afford to buy them.. i really sure it will cost alot!!

can anyone have an idea what could go wrong with my G5??

THANX IN ADVANCED!!

here is my youtube of my G5. Please open them.
YouTube - Dead BigMac

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2008, 11:15 AM

Dead BigMac? Not the best title, my friend. Very sorry for your loss though.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 12:08 AM

I noticed the red status light would flash once before your G5 would shut off. Those lights can indicate what is wrong with your G5... try starting up with the side cover off (the air deflector shield in place) to see which of those leds is lighting up.

Read this Apple document for more on how to diagnose those lights.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

sleeper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2008, 04:12 PM

okay. i'll give it at try. thanx!!

chipchen
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2008, 12:51 AM

My guess is the CPU/s. Try re-seating it?

I remember with the older G5's you could actually swap the CPUs and test them that way (only needed one good CPU on the upper slot for it to boot). But I'm not sure with the dual-core models. Maybe someone else can chime in?

sleeper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2008, 04:06 AM

yes. i believe the apple service center are trying to borrow some exact processor to test with my G5. but I still not heard a word from them yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules