Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Iphone's & innovation theory

Iphone's & innovation theory
Frans
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2007, 01:02 PM

I wrote a piece today on the iPhone from innovation theory perspective. I would love feedback on it. It starts like this:

‘Every once in a while a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything’ said Steve Jobs in his keynote where Apple launched the iPhone. In innovation theory we have a term for such a rare product. It’s called ‘dominant design’. The term was introduced by James Utterback. In his innovation classic, ‘Dynamics of innovation’ (1992), he gives his definition: “A dominant design in a product class is, by definition, the one that wins the allegiance of the marketplace, the one that competitors and innovators must adhere to if they hope to command significant market following.” (p. 24)
To quote Jobs once more: ‘One is very fortunate if one gets to work on one these in your career. Apple’s been very fortunate, it’s been able to introduce a few of these into the world. In 1984 we introduced the Macintosh. It didn’t just change Apple, it changed the whole computer industry.’ Now the Macintosh was the typical example of a dominant design. It’s the first product in the marketplace where all the pieces of the puzzle were right.
The company that brings the dominant design to the market usually reaps huge benefits from it. Take the typewriter: the dominant design was the Underwood number 5 (1899) and the name of Underwood was established. Apple had the same benefit from the Macintosh. However, it made one huge mistake: later in the product cycle the Macintosh was overly expensive, the company grew self-satisfied and lost it’s edge. In 1995 I had to work with a Mac for a while and at the time I preferred Windows 95 (that changed a few years ago).

You can read the whole article here: Thoughts on iPhone’s innovation at Excellent Government blog

cheers, Frans
After 18 years of MS-DOS and Windows working very happy on Mac, now on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz - 2Gb memory - 200 Gb HD with a 20 and 23" screen. I've been waiting for the iPhone for quite a while, let's role it out in Europe. Just one wish left for now: a light mac (2-3 pounds) with 8 hours of working time. They can do it... :-)

freudling
Banned
Mar 18, 2007, 03:45 PM

It wasn't a mistake. You think it is a mistake as others. Who cares what everyone is using. YOu have misunderstood Apple completely.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 18, 2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
It wasn't a mistake. You think it is a mistake as others. Who cares what everyone is using. YOu have misunderstood Apple completely.
Actually, I think you misunderstood what he was saying. He's not saying the iPhone was a mistake -- just the opposite.

By the way, Frans, you might want to add some spaces in between your paragraphs. That should make it easier to read.

Forum Links
Forum Rules