Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Final Cut Pro 4 discussion

Final Cut Pro 4 discussion
JB72
Mac Elite
May 31, 2003, 05:32 PM

My guess is we'll see FCP4 around June 9. This one is going to be big.

JB72  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 04:26 PM

Think Secret say we'll see it in a week..

*fingers crossed*

k2director
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 10:05 PM

Definitely a big upgrade. All those stand-alone apps (Soundtrack, LiveType, Compressor, etc.) really extend the abilities of the one-man filmmaker....

JB72  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by k2director:
Definitely a big upgrade. All those stand-alone apps (Soundtrack, LiveType, Compressor, etc.) really extend the abilities of the one-man filmmaker....
I wasn't too excited about Soundtrack and Live Type until I saw them demoed. Wow! They look really fun.

Good luck with the FCP4 book (assuming it's not just waiting to be printed.)

JB72  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2003, 03:40 PM

OK. So I wasn't correct with June 9 as a release date.

Mark your calendars. Final Cut Pro 4 will be released on June 14th..

JB72  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 09:11 PM

Order today for release day delivery, Saturday June 14
Hrrrm... Order now and have it delivered, or pick it up at the store at four o'clock?

Selected stores will host a ?4@4? kick-off event with theater demos and industry-leading editors sharing how their latest projects were made with Final Cut Pro.
I wish I knew who these "industry-leading" editors were. I'd definitely show up at the Grove if Walter Murch was going to be there.

and the waiting continues...

JB72  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 02:55 PM

Apple Final Cut Pro 4 Technology Open House happens today at 1PM. I know, I l know. I'm sick to be excited about this.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2003, 03:32 PM

It's been GM for a couple weeks now. I dunno what's taking them so long...It's really nice compared to FCP 3, but it definitely has its flaws. One that's pissing me off right now is that capturing video and audio to separate files doesn't keep the files linked, so if the media gets disconnected somehow FCP is at a loss when reconnecting them. Esp. since the two files get named differently

JB72  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
It's been GM for a couple weeks now. I dunno what's taking them so long...It's really nice compared to FCP 3, but it definitely has its flaws. One that's pissing me off right now is that capturing video and audio to separate files doesn't keep the files linked, so if the media gets disconnected somehow FCP is at a loss when reconnecting them. Esp. since the two files get named differently
Was the media manager any help?

--

The open house was pretty tame. However, I was able to get my upgrade for $323, which was nice .

dmoore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2003, 05:45 PM

the Apple Store tracking sez I should have my copy delivered by 4:30 pm on Friday...a day ahead of time. cool.....

JB72  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by dmoore:
the Apple Store tracking sez I should have my copy delivered by 4:30 pm on Friday...a day ahead of time. cool.....
You're stoked. Someone mentioned on MacNN front page got theirs today. Lucky dogs

SummitWynds
Jun 13, 2003, 04:07 PM

Got mine today, about 10 AM (Eastern Standard Time). Had Lasik Surgery yesterday (am not supposed to be on computer) then had to leave at 11 AM for Dr Appt. Installed it, but havent had a chance to play around. Hopefully this weekend.

JB72  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by SummitWynds:
Got mine today, about 10 AM (Eastern Standard Time). Had Lasik Surgery yesterday (am not supposed to be on computer) then had to leave at 11 AM for Dr Appt. Installed it, but havent had a chance to play around. Hopefully this weekend.
So wehn does your eyes come before FCP???

---

Got my upgrade copy in my hot little hands earlier today...

1 DVD FCP4 install
1 DVD Soundtrack loops
2 DVD LiveType data
1 CD Peak 3 express

SummitWynds
Jun 13, 2003, 09:58 PM

GREAT QUESTION!!!! It has been killing me not to try it out. I started it, and my hubby came home.... asked me "why was I on the computer, when I shouldn't be". It is killing me not to spend some SERIOUS time playing with Final Cut Pro 4!!!!

JB72  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by SummitWynds:
GREAT QUESTION!!!! It has been killing me not to try it out. I started it, and my hubby came home.... asked me "why was I on the computer, when I shouldn't be". It is killing me not to spend some SERIOUS time playing with Final Cut Pro 4!!!!
Oh man that's bad. You need to take of them eyes. But, didn't that doctor mention the FCP4 release when you were scheduling your surgery?

--

Misc. install notes:

- Apps called "Batch Monitor" and "Soundtrack Loop Utility" are installed in the utilities folder.
- All the LiveType data in installed in the root application support.
- A ProKit.framework is added to the OS.

This thing is a big deal. So much to check out.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 12:42 AM

FCP4 will not install on any G3 based Mac, nor will it install on any G4 that has less than 384MB of RAM and/or a processor slower than 450MHz. Period. The install program simply won't run.

This has knocked the crap out of my ability to preview the features or the interface. Bullsh-t. Frustrating.

I'm on the road with access only to Macs that simply won't run FCP4 until Wednesday, when finally I'm back in my office with a serious computer.

AARRGGHHH!

JB72  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 02:57 PM

Soundtrack and LiveType is addicting to say the least.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 06:09 PM

Reviews anyone? I would like to hear about anything cool you've found so far.

Melchizedek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2003, 12:37 AM

I just ordered the academic full version and I am VERY excited!!! I bought Final Cut Express at the beginning of this last Spring semester and I was overwhelmed by all the features it offered. I CAN'T WAIT to dive into FCP 4 with Soundtrack and LiveType!!! Only problem is, my dad accidently dumped our miniDV camera into the river on a recent canoe trip...

Sony called and wants $800-$1000 to fix it, we told them forget it and send it back. We can get a NEW one that is equal in quality for around $600-$700...

Oh well, at least I can mess around with Soundtrack and Livetype until we get a new camera...

Here's to FCP 4's release...FINALLY!!!
Rev. D 1.67Ghz 17" PowerBook
---------------------------------------
4G 60GB iPod Photo
iSight
Airport Express
Final Cut Pro 4
WWDC 2004/2005 Student Attendee
---------------------------------------
Apple user for two.five years.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2003, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by awcopus:
FCP4 will not install on any G3 based Mac, nor will it install on any G4 that has less than 384MB of RAM and/or a processor slower than 450MHz. Period. The install program simply won't run.

This has knocked the crap out of my ability to preview the features or the interface. Bullsh-t. Frustrating.

I'm on the road with access only to Macs that simply won't run FCP4 until Wednesday, when finally I'm back in my office with a serious computer.

AARRGGHHH!
Says bare minimum is G4 350.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/specs.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules