Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help Setting up a secure WDS network (with picture)

Help Setting up a secure WDS network (with picture)
Toyin
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 08:31 PM

I'm expanding my wireless network in my house. Currently I've got both a Linksys WRT54g, DSL Modem, and Airport Express in the Living Room. The ISP I have forces me to use the DSL modem as a router and the Linksys as a Gateway. Since I got the airport express, I've disabled the wireless portion of my Linksys and my AE supplies the wireless internet connection for both our powerbooks. The Linksys functions as a gateway for the XBOX and AE. The PC is SOL and unfortunately so is the printer which is attached to the PC (At least for wireless printing). Coverage outside the living room is not great (concrete walls) so I'd like to set up a WDS. I've upgraded my Linksys firmware using sveasoft and it supports WDS now.

My questions:
1. Can any one think of a better setup then what I have diagramed below?
2. What's the best way to secure this network? I've been using WPA, but apparently this won't work with a WDS network. Do I need to create a VPN?

-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Toyin  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 02:33 PM

No one?

Well this just came out today which may answer my WPA question

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...formacosx.html
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 02:46 PM

To be honest, I'm not sure I understand what you want to do... Do you want to set up WDS from a Linksys to an Airport Express (AXP)? You won't be able to do this, unfortunately. WDS is mostly proprietary, so one brand will not (usually) work with another.
The only way I see being able to do this is to replace the Linksys or add to it another AXP or AXT base.
As I noted in my other thread, WPA now works on WDS Airport networks.

Toyin  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
To be honest, I'm not sure I understand what you want to do... Do you want to set up WDS from a Linksys to an Airport Express (AXP)? You won't be able to do this, unfortunately. WDS is mostly proprietary, so one brand will not (usually) work with another.
The only way I see being able to do this is to replace the Linksys or add to it another AXP or AXT base.
As I noted in my other thread, WPA now works on WDS Airport networks.
Yes I'm trying to hook up the Linksys with 2 AXPs. With the Sveasoft firmware upgrade, my AXP was able to recognize the Linksys router as a WDS base station. I noticed the 4.1 upgrade and when I get home I plan on trying it out!
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 03:07 PM

Cool, let us know how it works out. It'd be interesting if that firmware allowed for WDS to an AXP.
My update went very smoothly. Remember to change the WDS clients to to WPA 1st, then the Main Base Station.

Forum Links
Forum Rules