Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Windows 7: First Time Buyer: Get Full Retail or OEM Version?

Windows 7: First Time Buyer: Get Full Retail or OEM Version?
Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2010, 01:01 PM

Putting Windows 7 on my new MBP.

Should I buy the Full Retail or OEM version? I know OEM has no support and can only install on one machine.

And, can I install Windows 7 on more than one machine? Or do I need a fresh, new copy for each Mac I have?

Thanks!

Cold Warrior
May 16, 2010, 01:49 PM

windows 7 uses activation. You will need a separate license key for each installation, then each key will be linked to your Mac's unique hardware to activate Windows.

ghporter
Administrator
May 16, 2010, 05:56 PM

Unless it's a Dell OEM version (and perhaps a few other branded OEM versions), there should be no difference. The OEM versions you DO NOT want will be ludicrously inexpensive-a dead giveaway. If you see a modest price difference, go with the lesser price.

I've bought Dell OEM versions of XP Pro for under $10 because of this OEM thing. Why the weirdness with price? Dell tweaks their installation to actually look for a Dell signature on the hardware and some of their OEM discs won't install without finding that signature. Having a couple of Dells sitting around, I thought this was a good deal so I have a few backup OEM install discs.

Cold Warrior is spot on about licenses. When you buy an installation disc, you buy a license. Win7 is very good about checking with Microsoft to see if the license key you supply is valid and unused-you can't get away with installing a retail or OEM disc on more than one machine because the OS won't let you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2010, 05:59 PM

Win7 OEM can only be installed on one computer, ever. Non-transferable.

Retail you need 1 license per computer, but if you switch from a VM to bootcamp or something you're fine.

MS used to have a deal for students to buy Win7 for $30, but now it's $65.

Forum Links
Forum Rules