Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iLife 04 iLike! UK/Ireland Apple Store iDont

iLife 04 iLike! UK/Ireland Apple Store iDont
Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2004, 09:36 AM

$49 / �39 for these amazing Apps - BARGAIN!

Added iLife to my order only to be informed that est. build time was 2-3 weeks!

Needless to say I cried, banged my head on the table, then cancelled the order.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2004, 10:11 AM

$49 might be OK, but �39 certainly is not! That is $70 at today's exchange rates which is criminal (with VAT included, $49 would be about $55 to $60).

Anyway, iLife '04 isn't available to anyone for a few weeks - it isn't shipping yet.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
$49 might be OK, but �39 certainly is not! That is $70 at today's exchange rates which is criminal (with VAT included, $49 would be about $55 to $60).
Talking about criminal, the iPod mini will cost �299 in Germany including VAT, that's �258 without tax, or US$326.

That's almost $80 more than in the US.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Annihialator  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
Anyway, iLife '04 isn't available to anyone for a few weeks - it isn't shipping yet.
Look at the US Store, they say delivery by the 16th!

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 05:17 PM

Here in Belgium iLife is �49 I'm thrilled.

JayTay
Jan 9, 2004, 07:37 AM

Why don't you just wait and see if it gets dispatched by the 16th? If not then cancel and order elsewhere. When I ordered my iPod late last year they estimated 10-15 days build time. I had it 6 days after I'd ordered it.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2004, 07:53 AM

Criminal:

A Dual 2GHz G5 (with a few extras) on the US Apple Store is $3,273.00 = �1,806.09

On the UK store an identically spec'ed machine is �2,517.99

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2004, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
A Dual 2GHz G5 (with a few extras) on the US Apple Store is $3,273.00 = �1,806.09
You forgot the VAT. �1,806.09 + VAT = �2122.16

�2517.99 is still a rip-off, but not quite as bad. Can't blame Apple for our taxes.

Barney.

Lew
Senior User
Jan 9, 2004, 08:43 AM

Seems to be par for the course for most US companies trading abroad - "Just take the price in dollars and change the currency sign, no-one worries about exchange rates, do they?"

Still, I'm sure it's not just restricted to US companies.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2004, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by barney ntd:
You forgot the VAT. �1,806.09 + VAT = �2122.16

�2517.99 is still a rip-off, but not quite as bad. Can't blame Apple for our taxes.

Barney.
If you shipped it in yourself from USA there would be customs duty then VAT on top which would get it even nearer to (if not completely to) the �2517.99. Not to forget the shipping costs as well.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 10:20 AM

But surely the stuff is made in the Apple Factory in Ireland. Apple don't have to ship it over here, it is made here. The UK/European prices have always been considerably more expensive than the US prices, for no apparent reason.

Wickedkitten
Jan 9, 2004, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:
But surely the stuff is made in the Apple Factory in Ireland. Apple don't have to ship it over here, it is made here. The UK/European prices have always been considerably more expensive than the US prices, for no apparent reason.

its actually sent over from the netherlands if its hardware, ireland if its software.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2004, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:
Well, depends what you mean by "the stuff". I don't think anything is manufactured in Cork any more, it's all done in Taiwan and Singapore and places like that. Some BTO stuff appears to still be done in Ireland, but I've heard that Apple's major European distribution hub is in Luxembourg or the Netherlands or something. Not really sure, though.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2004, 09:41 AM

From my recent purchases it seems Hardware is just Assembled in Cork.

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Jan 11, 2004, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by ism:
If you shipped it in yourself from USA there would be customs duty then VAT on top which would get it even nearer to (if not completely to) the �2517.99. Not to forget the shipping costs as well.
Can you please clarify what the duty is to import a personal computer from the US into the EU? I was under the impression it was zero.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2004, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:
Can you please clarify what the duty is to import a personal computer from the US into the EU? I was under the impression it was zero.
I can't, I'm afraid. You'd need to contact the relevant authorities. It could be the computer equipment is exempt from custom duty in which case only VAT is payable. If not exempt than custom duty is usually between 5% to 9%. For more information look here: sloanfox and here: HMCE.

Oooh silly me, you're right. Duty on computer hardware seems to be zero, see here: directly2you.co.uk

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2004, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Annihialator:
Look at the US Store, they say delivery by the 16th!
Apple Rep i spoke to said that orders for iLife will most likely ship either Tuesday or WEnds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules