Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > windows trys yet again!

windows trys yet again!
MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2004, 10:47 PM

Take a look at this and share your opinion on this new software from microsoft. It is suppose to replace upgrade the windows os and be the best platform ever(code named LONGHORN). Anyone thinks the brused metal windows and the icons on it might be wanting to resemble os x?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/d...n/default.aspx
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2004, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by MARINEOSX:
Take a look at this and share your opinion on this new software from microsoft. It is suppose to replace upgrade the windows os and be the best platform ever(code named LONGHORN). Anyone thinks the brused metal windows and the icons on it might be wanting to resemble os x?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/d...n/default.aspx
Have you been living under a rock?

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by lngtones:
Have you been living under a rock?
Nah, he couldn't have been. I just chatted with my mate who lives under a rock, and even he thinks this is old news.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2004, 01:06 AM

New Hotness! <---------------------------------------X---> Old & Busted!

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2004, 10:42 PM

Actually not a rock. Under fire for a year and wasn't aware of any of it till now. I do appreciate the remarks of such an ass though. Congrats on that I guess you can just keep assing it up! Also considering that I have very few posts might shed some light on the fact that I am new to all of this. But that would take common sense not an ASS!

ambush
Banned
Nov 14, 2004, 10:45 PM

this thread is now about **** & balls

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2004, 11:03 PM

Under fire, eh, MARINEOSX? Bummer! Welcome back home.

Sure most of us knew about Longhorn and how Microsoft rips OS X off, but I didn't ever hear about this one:

On the right pane in that image they mention something about being the first OS to support "Natural search"... Hello, Spotlight!
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2004, 11:32 PM

Yes Spotlight hmmmmmmm......... That couldn't be the same thing could it? That is what I found so funny about this particular selection. I like the xp look with new colors that wants to look like os X.

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2004, 12:42 AM

Golly...that is a butt-ugly interface! If it wants to be like OS X, its got a LONGway to go...maybe thats why the call it LONGhorn...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2004, 12:59 AM

Longhorn is a perfect example of why I don't like Microsoft.

They over promised features and core items... and now it's years behind schedule... and dropping features and core items almost monthly.

I'm not saying Apple is perfect, but I like how they intro new stuff. Usually they show you rather then just making false promises.

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2004, 01:08 AM

how long til it gets virus infested?

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 15, 2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by PubGuy:
Golly...that is a butt-ugly interface! If it wants to be like OS X, its got a LONGway to go...maybe thats why the call it LONGhorn...
I've been always wondering - with their resource why can't they just hire someone with a bit sense of aesthetics? Jeez...

Forte
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2004, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by V12:
how long til it gets virus infested?
Well, if it's backwards-compatible with viruses for existing versions of Windows, approximately 16 minutes after connecting it to the internet without protection. ;P

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by Forte:
Well, if it's backwards-compatible with viruses for existing versions of Windows, approximately 16 minutes after connecting it to the internet without protection. ;P
16 is a bit conservative, isn't 5 more realistic? Wasn't there some study done that says that some percentage of Internet traffic these days is malicious?
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
Under fire, eh, MARINEOSX? Bummer! Welcome back home.

Sure most of us knew about Longhorn and how Microsoft rips OS X off, but I didn't ever hear about this one:

On the right pane in that image they mention something about being the first OS to support "Natural search"... Hello, Spotlight!
Fugly!! Dayum!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2004, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I'm not saying Apple is perfect, but I like how they intro new stuff. Usually they show you rather then just making false promises.
Unless they're talking about ship dates

That screen shot from Longhorn sure is fugly though! Reminds me something I'd expect to see on Linux.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
Unless they're talking about ship dates

That screen shot from Longhorn sure is fugly though! Reminds me something I'd expect to see on Linux.
...because it's not the final interface that they don't want to show off yet. Or so they say. I don't believe it will look like that when it ships though.

Forte
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2004, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
16 is a bit conservative, isn't 5 more realistic? Wasn't there some study done that says that some percentage of Internet traffic these days is malicious?
I agree that 5 is more realistic, but I was simply quoting the 'average' number minutes that the reports/research out there have given.

I figured it'd be more accurate just to quote said research, as I haven't personally verified it, nor would I want to subject anyone's Windows machine to such a test. XD

brapper
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2004, 09:08 PM

gentlemen, I do believe ambush changed the focus of this thread...

Forum Links
Forum Rules