Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What made you get your first mac?

What made you get your first mac? (Page 3)
far200
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2005, 12:13 AM

Just got sick of windows and I wanted something new.

I tried linux but I wanted a OS that was a little easier to use.

So apple seemed to be the choice. And I'll never look back,I've been very happy with my mac ( ibook g4 ).

DMage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2005, 06:20 PM

I was using Macs in some classes in High School aroundt seven years ago and never really liked them. Always seemed to have lockups and it was too different for me compared to Windows. Think it was running OS 7. Never really considered Macs again until about a year ago when I had a chance to play with OS X and the iLife programs. It was Expose that sold me, strangely enough. Was looking to buy one, but once there were rumors of the iMac G5 I waited, and ordered a few days after the keynote. Have loved it for the last six months and am amazed at the ease of use, and the wide range of things I can do on it. Never had I thought of making a DVD on XP, but had one together in several minutes in iDVD. Loved the Mac so much I sold my XP laptop last week and have a iBook coming in. Now I am trying to convert my family.
iMac 17" 1.8 G5, 200GB Seagate Hard Drive, 1GB RAM, Bluetooth

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2005, 07:27 PM

I had never even considered using anything other than a Windows machine until mid last year, when a friend of mine got a PowerBook. I thought it was cool and I liked the OS, so I read up on Macs and found out three things:

1) No viruses
2) More stable than Windows
3) No worries with compatibility with MS Office

Sold. The nice design, cooler OS, and all the other stuff are just icing. It seemed stupid to keep using Windows simply because I always had, but I'm sure that's why most people never change to Mac. It kept me on Dells and IBMs for fifteen years!

Computer literate friends of mine who use Windows are suffering from crashes and viruses all the time and I'm sorted. I use the PCs at work and they crash, I have to download virus updates every day, they don't have Expose (how brilliant is this?!), and there's a host of minor niggles that totally bug me now that I've got used to OS X.

No chance I'll be switching back. Now I've just gotta evangelise and get my friends and family conveted as well

Sminch

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by sminch:
1) No viruses
2) More stable than Windows
3) No worries with compatibility with MS Office
If only more people knew these three things.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2005, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Jasoco:
If only more people knew these three things.
Makes you wonder why Apple doesn't use a few hundred million of its spare cash it has banked, and make an ad campaign that underlines those very points.

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2005, 01:16 PM

as long as I've been alive I've had a mac.

really.

I have pictures of me playing dark castle and apache strike on our Mac SE.

good times
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2005, 01:28 PM

And you make 'em sound good.

I did the Amiga to Mac thing so I've got affectionate memories of both. The Amiga paved the way to 3D, BBS hosting, internet and so on, but the iMac/iBook gave way to much more graphical/musical creativity.

Now, it's the only reality I want to cultivate. A Mac creative one.

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2005, 09:05 PM

My frist Mac was a Mac SE. Bought it for $15 at a resale store down in SC. Only reason i got it was it looked cool and we used to use them at the school i helped out at. Now 5 years later I'm getting tired of my old HP with Windows 98. I found a iMac333 for $250 and my mom got it as a wedding gift. I'm about to buy another iMac just like mine for my wife to use since shes using the HP.

As I type this she is cussing the HP for its all so common malfunctions.

BenRoethig
Feb 18, 2005, 11:15 AM

One of the local colleges had given my school a (then) state of the art LC520 for the students to learn how to use a computer. I stuck with what I knew and talked my mom into buying a Performa 5200 when the local Wal-Mart (ah, the days when I didn't have to drive three hours to buy a Mac) a couple years later. I upgraded to a B&W G3 five years later, and currently own a 900mhz 12" iBook G3.

Balneum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2005, 06:54 AM

My old Dell just broke down and I had to get something to replace that and after a while I desided to get my first iBook. I'm still waiting for couple of days before it arrives.
"Solitido coeli junua."

iBook G4/1,2 GHz
768 MB
60 GB

J_Anderton
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2005, 10:43 AM

It was early 2001 and for a while, I kept up with Apple and it's great products. I remember seeing the Titanium Powerbook and OS X for the first time and instantly I said, "I want a Mac." But, I couldn't afford a Powerbook then (Too expensive for me) and the colorful iBooks were awful looking. (I'm not a desktop person)

The snowy iBook came out and the price was right. I sold my Sony Vaio laptop to my cousin and ordered myself a iBook G3 500MHz, 384mb RAM, 10gb (or was it 20gb) HD, and a DVD-ROM drive. It was when OS X was still a baby and it wasn't that fast. Eventually, the updates came and the faster it got, but still a little sluggish.

It was actually the Powerbook that always made me want to get a Mac. The black Wall Streets and Pismos...so cooool back then (Still nice now), but the Titanium...oooooh, you know what I'm talking about? You probably felt the same way too when you first saw it.

After a year with that iBook, I sold it and went back to Windows. I wanted a faster Mac, but didn't want an iBook again and the Powerbooks were STILL too expensive for me.

Now, after almost exactly four years later, here I am about to have my second Mac. It is now literally on the FedEx truck and should arrive here "before 10:30am." I cannot wait. Finally, I will be getting the Powerbook...the computer I always wanted over any other computer. Once again, I can have a great OS and step out of the darkside of Windows XP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules