Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Final Cut Pro

Final Cut Pro
Steve SpotOn
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2001, 03:43 AM

Hi
I've been an Avid user for some 6 years and I'm interested in purchasing a system based on Final Cut Pro (as it's so much cheaper). Has anyone any experience of working with FCP in a professional environment (with media such as Beta SP/Digi Beta as well as DV). What are the good/bad points to watch out for. What additonal cards and external devices do you recommend?

Steve.

jes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2001, 02:40 PM

I have only used FCP for DV editing, and I am very happy with it. However, I have a friend who who uses both FCP and an avid system and has been editing for over 20 yrs. His overall feelings twards FCP are VERY positive.
I suggest visiting the forums over at www.2-pop.com

opallaser
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2001, 09:18 PM

Using FCP for high end editing is now more valid than ever. To edit with formats like digi-beta and beta-sp you need a capture card. There are three main cards that will work with FCP and are as follows:
1. Digital Voodoo - www.digitalvoodoo.net : This card gives you an SDI input only but also gives you a true second monitor that you can use to preview on an NTSC or Pal monitor. It also ships with it's own media transfer software that means you can capture clips without using a program like FCP or Premiere. It also works flawlessly with FCP and things like batch capture etc. It's main advantage is that it gives true 10 bit quality capture rather than 8 bit.
2. Aurora Igniter : A good card with many IO options - www.auroravideosys.com for more infor.
3. Pinnacles CineWave card - In theory this card is the most exciting of the three. It lets you do (with upgrade options) HD and SD work on the same system. It provides analogue capture for you Beta-Sp but you will need to upgrade it to do SDI. Pinnalce also claim that this card will let you do realtime effects within FCP on SD material. We have yet to see these claims come to fruition.

If you are considering working at this level you know that HD space and speed are very important. Fast RAID arrays are the only way to go and the Medea line seem to be quite good.

I suggest you wait and see what NAB holds. The three companies listed above have all hinted that something significant is on coming up at NAB so......we can only wait. FCP 2.0 now has the ability to work in realtime and these companies are all clamouring to produce an uncompressed solution that will make effects within FCP realtime.

------------------
Anarchy is an ethic
all screens are superwide

Forum Links
Forum Rules