Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Drop Test

MBP Drop Test
MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2006, 03:41 AM

So if anyone was wondering if the MBP is durable then yes the answer is yes. I have been in iraq for 9 months so far and there has been multiple issues with my powerbooks i had a 15 inch then it stopped wroking got the 17 inch powerbook as a free upgrade from apple and then that had logic board problems with power and they upgraded me to the 17 inch MBP and have not had a problem with it. yesterday one of my fellow marines got agrivated and there was a bunch of gear in his way and so he started throwing it to the other side of the room to get it out of the way well my MBP was among the gear. It is find and still works great. no dents scratches or anything and it went about 15 feet accross the room.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2006, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by MARINEOSX View Post
he started throwing it to the other side of the room to get it out of the way well my MBP was among the gear. It is find and still works great. no dents scratches or anything and it went about 15 feet accross the room.
You mean it was in a case or a bag right? - Either way thats nice to hear.. My PB is very very sensitive to any sort rugged behavior. It's a laptop - it should be, but still.. the god darn aluminium dents very quickly..

bloodline
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2006, 05:59 AM

I was on the tube a while back and someone trod on my MBP while it was in my bag, I heard the sound of splitting and cracking followed by a nasty crunch... in fear I opened my bag to inspect the damage... The MBP was fine, not even a scratch or a dent... Aluminium is a wonderful material!
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 12, 2006, 12:24 PM

One: KEEP YOUR HEAD (and other parts) DOWN! (This obviously applies when in the tent as much as when out on patrol!)

Two: How do you keep that dust out of your MBP? If it's a hassle to keep it out of everything else, it's gotta be hard to keep your computer clean.

Three: Your buddy is buying you a NICE dinner at the Exchange because he threw your computer across the tent, right?

Semper Fi, and come home safe!

(And I hope you had a decent Veteran's Day. 23 years, 3 months, 27 days USAF)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

aryayush
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
I was on the tube a while back and someone trod on my MBP while it was in my bag, I heard the sound of splitting and cracking followed by a nasty crunch... in fear I opened my bag to inspect the damage... The MBP was fine, not even a scratch or a dent... Aluminium is a wonderful material!
So what was all that splitting, cracking and crunching about!

And, MARINEOSX, it was in some sort of case, wasn't it? Or it fell on top of some clothes or something? Because it seems impossible that it would fall fifteen feet across the room without any protection whatsoever and remain unscathed. However, I guess we'll have to take your word for it, because I definitely am not going to test it out!

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

And, MARINEOSX, it was in some sort of case, wasn't it? Or it fell on top of some clothes or something? Because it seems impossible that it would fall fifteen feet across the room without any protection whatsoever and remain unscathed. However, I guess we'll have to take your word for it, because I definitely am not going to test it out!

I know a Pismo would withstand it. My daughter was using it wirelessly while it was on trunk of car, and when she got in and drove off forgetting it was there, she went back and it was fine except for a few scuff marks! I have had several Al PBs damaged by a mear slip off table! Usually DVD drive quits working first.

bloodline
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

It was other things in my bag, and whatever the other person who's bag was half on mine had in it.
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

Forum Links
Forum Rules