Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My MacBook amazes me!

My MacBook amazes me!
Steve SpotOn
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2007, 03:26 AM

I'm just gob smacked at my little black MacBook C2duo.
I moved up from an old G3 iMac just before Christmas 2006 and I knew it would be a big leap from the old OS9, but over the last 6 months this little machine has become my best friend (am I sad or what???).

Tentative at first in just running simple tasks ... Mail and Safari.... then I tried NeoOffice and that was pretty good... on to Photoshop and Creative Suite... no problems, no crashes .... it just runs and works!

To top it all last week I loaded Final Cut Studio and managed to edit a 3 camera shoot (Multicam editing) and output it to DVD - yes all on that tiny 13" screen.

All this in a package that I take home each evening and away at weekends - my mobile production office is all there ready willing and able!

What are your good experiences with your iBook's or MacBook's???

Steve

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2007, 07:13 PM

I got my MacBook on August 2006 for school. Over the last school year, my MacBook hasn't let me down. From long essays to editing cool videos, the MacBook has been there for me. Every creative project that I did on this little computer turned out to be the coolest in class! I can't await for the next school year to start just to see in how many cool projects I get to do on the MacBook...

MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo / 1GB RAM / 60GB HDD
iPod Nano First Gen 1GB Black

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 10:11 PM

My iBook G4 is and was always the greatest. It continuously amazes me with what it can do. Even now its up to the task, but just barely. Its feeling its age, and I'm upgrading to the MacBook Pro, simply for the gaming, otherwise I'm sure the MacBook would be enough.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2007, 11:33 AM

I went from iBook G4 933MHz 14" to a DualCore G5 2GHz, and am now on a MacBook DC 2.16. This thing is FAST! It crunches through my DVD/PSP media conversion needs very well and handles Ableton Live wonderfully too. My productivity is soaring.
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

wilsonng
Senior User
Jul 13, 2007, 10:23 PM

You'll love it even more when you connect it to an external monitor for dual monitor support.

Put all your palettes and preview windows in the 13" screen and do your main work on the external monitor.

You'll have a lot more room to breathe with that setup!

Originally Posted by Steve SpotOn View Post
To top it all last week I loaded Final Cut Studio and managed to edit a 3 camera shoot (Multicam editing) and output it to DVD - yes all on that tiny 13" screen.

All this in a package that I take home each evening and away at weekends - my mobile production office is all there ready willing and able!
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2007, 02:40 AM

I just got mine to have a closed lid and display on an Apple 20" 16:9 monitor. Awesome!
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2007, 11:59 AM

Yep, it's quite awesome. I'm a developer, so most of my work is CPU- and memory-bound. Moving up from a 1.3 G4 (and before that a 1.3 Celeron... *shudder*) has made all the difference in the world. The keyboard's great, the screen is gorgeous, and overall, I'm just ridiculously happy with it. The only downside is the weak GPU, but it's not like I have time for gaming anymore anyway.

Glad to see that you're happy with your purchase as well!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

robshoy
Jul 14, 2007, 12:10 PM

It's the best computer I've ever had, including my Intel 17" iMac. It's ridiculously fast, it's super sexy, and the keyboard feels great on the hands. The only downside is the battery. I really wish it would last me the supposed "six hours".

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by darcybaston View Post
I just got mine to have a closed lid and display on an Apple 20" 16:9 monitor. Awesome!
I'm getting this same thing for my new work machine: white MacBook 2.16MHz 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD and a 20" cinema display. It will replace my G5 and dual Dell 17" monitors.

But I have a white MB C2D 2.0GHz at home (which I am typing on now), the latest revision with the combo drive, and I can say I am incredibly happy with this machine. I upgraded from a 867MHz 12" PB. Now, that was a great machines, but this MB is so snappy and I love the screen. I still miss my PB, sure. But this baby rocks. Don't hesitate to get a MB if you're on the fence. The machines out there right now are a great deal.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

PEPPERRULES
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Steve SpotOn View Post
I'm just gob smacked at my little black MacBook C2duo.
I moved up from an old G3 iMac just before Christmas 2006 and I knew it would be a big leap from the old OS9, but over the last 6 months this little machine has become my best friend (am I sad or what???).
I'm using the latest revision macbook. I upgraded from a Blueberry iBook. I do, however miss the handle.

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2007, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by PEPPERRULES View Post
I'm using the latest revision macbook. I upgraded from a Blueberry iBook. I do, however miss the handle.
So many users of those have said that. Personally, I wouldn't have carried mine like that because I felt like I was carrying a purse. But I loved my Blueberry clamshell iBook. I was always frustrated with the 800x600 resolution, but it was a fun computer to use, and I liked the design very much.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

Parvez
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2007, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by liquidsilver6840 View Post
I got my MacBook on August 2006 for school. Over the last school year, my MacBook hasn't let me down. From long essays to editing cool videos, the MacBook has been there for me. Every creative project that I did on this little computer turned out to be the coolest in class! I can't await for the next school year to start just to see in how many cool projects I get to do on the MacBook...
I was just wondering what application do you use for your essays and video editing? I got my macbook last year and I really didn't put it to a good use (like bringing the laptop to school), but I will start early college this coming August. And with what application do you create those "cool" projects?

Thanks!

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2007, 09:15 AM

I use the apps that come on the MacBook. iMove + GarageBand for video and audio editing, and Pages for essays. Nothing fancy .. Oh, I also used Keynote and iPhoto to create a couple of presentations and slideshows...

Dawgs2010
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2007, 12:13 PM

I use Office for mac to make spreadsheets and word documents. I would use Keynote and Pages, nut I am one of the only mac users at my highschool, so I have to use Office files. I use iMovie for my movie editing and I love how it integrates with GarageBand.

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dawgs2010 View Post
I use Office for mac to make spreadsheets and word documents. I would use Keynote and Pages, nut I am one of the only mac users at my highschool, so I have to use Office files. I use iMovie for my movie editing and I love how it integrates with GarageBand.
I was one of the few who had Macs at my highschool. The cool thing that Mac OS X has is PDF integration. I used to email my work on PDF file and had no problems at all.

StickClicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2007, 03:58 PM

My 2.0GHz C2D White MacBook is my first mac. Got it in March of this year. Perfect in every way, even the awesome community of people that you get when you make the switch is awesome and beyond anything else like this with Windows or Linux. This machine has enough power to do my medium level audio input, recoding, compressing, and other stuff without breaking 70% on either core. And when I want to get away, I unplug t from the monitor and USB and find a cozy spot to work.

P.S. Magnets rock, just be careful not to slam your lid closed.

Parvez
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2007, 11:56 PM

I really wanted Office for mac, but I don't want to spend that much money on a student Office. No luck on torrents as well.

Any other alternative apps that supports .doc files?

StickClicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2007, 01:04 AM

neo office is good

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2007, 02:31 AM

New MacBook owner here. Got it about a month and a half ago after long debate about whether I should just get another desktop or make the jump to a portable machine. I made the right decision. I don't need the power of the desktop, and I love having all my stuff wherever I want to be at the time.

Today I even installed a larger HD. 250GB from Newegg. (That I ordered yesterday using standard 3-5 day shipping. It arrived in 24 hours from Edison NJ only 40 miles away.) Now I can have all my stuff with me. (Not counting my 500GB DVD collection. If only they made 1TB HD's in a 2.5" MacBook compatible form factor.. come on, technology! Get cracking!)

I love it and it's going to be my stepping stone to a Pro next time I buy a new computer. I love portability. It's what I've wanted for years. Now I finally have it. I gladly sacrifice the larger resolution and better graphics card for the ability to surf from my bed or the couch in the living room.

wilsonng
Senior User
Jul 20, 2007, 04:44 AM

You can check OpenOffice (free):

OpenOffice.org 2.2 - MacUpdate

or Stick Click's suggestion of Neo Office (free):

NeoOffice Home

MarinerPak contains the Mariner Write word processor and Mariner Calc spreadsheet programs together for $70 for their summer 2007 promotion.

Mariner Writer ($49.95) is a decent substitute for getting basic .DOC imports.
Macintosh Word Processor Software by Mariner Software

Mariner Calc ($49.95) is also a decent substitute for Excel.

Amazon has Micrsoft Office for Mac, Student & Teacher edition for $124.99. This is for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Entourage. That's 4 programs that would average to approximately $31.25 per program.....

Amazon.com: Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2004 Macintosh: Software: Macintosh

The non-educational version is $339.99 at Amazon. You're saving a bundle if you're eligible for the educational version.

I'm sure you can find it even cheaper if you look hard enough online. The Amazon third party sellers are selling it for about $110 (about $27.50 per program). Other web sites might have it for less.

There's viable freeware and less expensive alternatives out there.

No need to promote piracy....

Originally Posted by Parvez View Post
I really wanted Office for mac, but I don't want to spend that much money on a student Office. No luck on torrents as well.

Any other alternative apps that supports .doc files?
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Forum Links
Forum Rules