Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Unplugging Headphones locks up Pismo

Unplugging Headphones locks up Pismo
Corys
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2001, 03:45 PM

hey all,
I've got a Pismo 400 here, and whenever I unplug the headphones the machine locks up.
Also, If I boot the machine with headphones plugged in, I loose ALL audio, except the startup chime..
is this port controlled by software somehow?
i'm on OS 9.1 with OSX on another partition, OSX does not seem to have this problem, only 9.1
tia
www.prepressforums.com
News & Information for the Prepress Industry

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 7, 2001, 05:55 PM

While this isn't actually a PowerBook issue, since you already figured out that it is Mac OS 9.1's fault (and thus actually belongs in the Mac OS forum), I will answer anyway.

The sound out jack is actually totally software controlled. With older OS versions it was actually possible to have the sound out jack and the internal speakers active simultaneously!

In any case, I'd reinstall Mac OS 9.1, which should fix the problem (which is likely a corrupted Sound Manager extension, which is rather hard to install in isolation).

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules