Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Amazing Security For New PB's

Amazing Security For New PB's
silverfox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2001, 08:29 PM

I'm posting this less than 48 hours before MWSF Keynote, and none of the rumour mills have any new descriptions of the new enclosure for the PowerBook G4. Nothing repeated or really new since the early fall - that they're coming and they might be transparent / clamshell close. Nobody has said anything realisitic about seeing one. If there will be a new handheld or subnotebook too, there isn't a website out there with a description that sounds at all first hand...

If they're getting ready to ship any, its been kept tight lipped too: there hasn't been any box sightings either on any site...

Now, I'm not looking for photos or exact specification details, but it seems to me this Macworld is more mysterious than ever. Will there be any new hardware (PB's) shipping this week, or is it just announcements for software and future Spring releases (or for other Macworlds)?

[This message has been edited by silverfox (edited 01-07-2001).]

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2001, 08:41 PM

New HW? oh yes....new PowerMacs, PBooks, internal HW, software, and possibly an upgraded iMac.

Says who? says AI, CNET, and now CNN, as well as analysts, and a bunch of other people. Can they all be wrong? Maybe variation in speculation but the whole of it should become reality.

edit add: Shipping dates? good question.

[This message has been edited by disectamac (edited 01-07-2001).]

Macster
Jan 8, 2001, 06:24 PM

Seems like it would be impossible to get a machine into production, and create the necessary marketing materials needed for launch, without someone leaking a detail, or something substantial.

Will we only get a prototype demo and pre-order ability? Maybe the PPC chip isn't available in quantity. If Apple decided on the GeForce2Go video chip, that might not be available, yet. Then there is the problem of depleating the inventory, and how many to produce.

Mafoo
Jan 8, 2001, 09:16 PM

I remember with the iMac no one knew about it before apple launched it, no one knew about aqua till steve unleashed it on us (although i found seval references to in in DP2 like the trash can).

Its call a mixture of blackmail and secracy

Mafoo

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2001, 09:26 PM

The iMac and Aqua were so outrageously different that noone believed it (and therefore didn't decide to pass it on.) Maybe the design for the PBG4 is outrageously different. (In a good way, I hope.)

------------------
Albert Wu <- No life.
http://web.harker.org/

24/7 Cell phone use can not kill you. I am half-consious proof. (It's not because of the cell phone.)

Caffine is not a mind-altering drug.
It is a life-altering drug!
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2001, 09:41 AM

I tend to believe that the less you hear before a big show, the bigger the announcement is going to be. Employees are more likely to think "This is the Big One - I'd better not spoil the suprise".

Forum Links
Forum Rules