Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Welcome to Macintosh

Welcome to Macintosh
Marc Nadene
Aug 7, 2002, 05:13 PM

I get jaguar the other day. Which, as you know, is the epitome of human creation, like I said in another thread. I boot it up and get "Welcome to Macintosh". What the hell? Like I need to be told what computer I'm using. That's like saying "Welcome to Computer" or "Welcome to P3". I guess they thought the 5 million apple logos and !happy macs didn't clue me in.
loldehyde:

O
||
L--L

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2002, 05:21 PM

Thank god you posted. I was just wondering, "What do the PC trolls on MacNN think of the new OS X boot sequence?". I'll sleep the sleep of angels tonight.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2002, 05:23 PM

This is how I feel about you and your thread:

B==============D ((
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2002, 05:23 PM

humm....maybe because it's always said that?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Peabo
Senior User
Aug 7, 2002, 05:24 PM

Wow, talk about pedantic!
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2002, 05:25 PM

That phrase is part of Macintosh History. Every Mac OS since System (the old name for Mac OS) 1 on the original Macintosh has said 'Welcome to Macintosh'. it was a friendly alternative to a Dos prompt that came with other computers. The Macintosh is after all "the computer for the rest of us".

So many things have been sacrificed (the Happy Mac etc.) in OSX I was glad that this survived.

Marc Nadene  (op)
Aug 7, 2002, 07:01 PM

Who cares if it's always said it? My point is, it's stupid. And it's "3c===...===8". I would think a seasoned ass-liberal like you would know such things.
loldehyde:

O
||
L--L

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2002, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Marc Nadene:
Who cares if it's always said it? My point is, it's stupid. And it's "3c===...===8". I would think a seasoned ass-liberal like you would know such things.
Oh boy...

pliny
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2002, 07:20 PM

who are these morons who insist on defiling the holy ground of macnn, much less the holy ground of macintosh, with their stupid baby dumb name calling crap?
i look in your general direction

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2002, 07:27 PM

I get jaguar the other day. Which, as you know, is the epitome of human creation, like I said in another thread. I boot it up and get "Welcome to Macintosh". What the hell? Like I need to be told what computer I'm using. That's like saying "Welcome to Computer" or "Welcome to P3". I guess they thought the 5 million apple logos and !happy macs didn't clue me in.
Its a sign of friendliness, unlike the flying windows on the other OS.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2002, 07:29 PM

I think every operating system has some sort of welcome, some more friendly than others.

Macintosh is more than just the computer, its the way the software interacts with the machine, the whole way that software and hardware are integrated by apple which makes "Welcome to macintosh" make sense.

Macintosh and MacOS, although two distinct things, are used interchangeably when discussing Apple products. It's kind of nice to not have to make that distinction.

Oh well, I tried to cool the flames...
Matt Fahrenbacher

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2002, 07:30 PM

"Welcome to McDonald's...how may I help you"....

Ring any bells Marc?

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2002, 07:48 PM

At least the Mac boot sequence has proper-resolution images. I hate looking at Windows boot with it's blocky, low-res images and text stretching to fill the screen. ICK!

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2002, 07:55 PM

First time I try that "report abuse" link...

mikemako
Senior User
Aug 7, 2002, 07:58 PM

you peepol are funny
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Marc Nadene  (op)
Aug 7, 2002, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Ring any bells Marc?
That's welcoming me to a building with a possessive. "Welcome to Macintosh" is welcoming me to a computer. There's a difference.
loldehyde:

O
||
L--L

Marc Nadene  (op)
Aug 7, 2002, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Drizzt:

First time I try that "report abuse" link...
Figures the Frenchie is the first one to to get offended by a comment that wasn't directed at him and most importantly, was a joke. I thought everyone got the sarcasm and humor in that. I suppose that is a little tough to convey with text. Would you like it if I use HTML tags to indicate that?
loldehyde:

O
||
L--L

pirloui
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2002, 08:43 PM

I love that message, missed it when it was gone.. And Macintosh is so nice to read, as it's all about Mac OS generally..

asmujica
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2002, 10:46 PM

I don't "get" windows anymore.... I was brought up to think that doors where better for moving around.......... and that windows were easily broken by various reasons....

Oh wait, what are we talking about?

CreamyAcorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2002, 10:55 PM

LOL, i don't think I've ever seen someone so put off with a message of welcoming.

You're on your own, man.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2002, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Ring any bells Marc?
LOL!

Marc Nadene  (op)
Aug 7, 2002, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by CreamyAcorn:
LOL, i don't think I've ever seen someone so put off with a message of welcoming.

You're on your own, man.
hehe, yep. I've got too much free time, as you can tell.
loldehyde:

O
||
L--L

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2002, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
Thank god you posted. I was just wondering, "What do the PC trolls on MacNN think of the new OS X boot sequence?". I'll sleep the sleep of angels tonight.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2002, 12:45 AM

I love that message. It's friendly and makes me happy. So SHUT UP TROLL!!

hahaha.. I kid, I kid..

No, actually, I don't.. seriously.. shut up.

They can have my Welcoming message when they erase it from my cold round install CD.

It's there for a SECOND. Is it that big of a deal? Don't look at the screen for a few seconds if it bothers you THAT much.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2002, 01:07 AM

hehe, yep. I've got too much free time, as you can tell.
..and your life must be pretty good if the whining has been reduced to something so trivial as the boot screen.

it could be worse you know - when i go to work and turn on the dell on my desk and see *that* logo...well...where apple says "welcome" that dell logo is more like a warning.

pdot
Senior User
Aug 8, 2002, 01:10 AM

I also like the welcome message. What I don't like is that I'm helping to keep this thread alive by typing this, so I'll ramble a bit. I also don't like how some stores place "Thank you for your patronage. Please come back again." at the entrance. Makes me feel like I'm going the wrong way and that I'm already done.
Oh, one more thing (and this is way dumber than what you're saying about the Mac welcome message), some Wintel machines still have "Made for Windows ____" (eg 95, 98, etc) on them. Kind of funny b/c that sounds like you shouldn't use any other version of Windows on them.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

Mafoo
Aug 8, 2002, 01:13 AM

Well, lets stir up this already pointless thread.

Communism Rules!

--mafoo

Marc Nadene  (op)
Aug 8, 2002, 02:07 AM

Guys... I was only kidding about this whole thread. It's funny how pissed off you guys get when I make a stupid comment like that. I appreciate the ones who just smirked, called me a troll and moved on.
However, this fellow needs a good ass-kicking:

Originally posted by Mafoo:
Well, lets stir up this already pointless thread.

Communism Rules!

--mafoo
loldehyde:

O
||
L--L

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2002, 02:14 AM

That's welcoming me to a building with a possessive. "Welcome to Macintosh" is welcoming me to a computer. There's a difference.
He didn't get it guys....

Marc,

He meant that it should sound familiar to you, given that most people with similar attitudes have a certain occupation:

"Thank you, drive through"
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

RGB
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2002, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
At least the Mac boot sequence has proper-resolution images. I hate looking at Windows boot with it's blocky, low-res images and text stretching to fill the screen. ICK!
The pixelated graphics make me want to puke! They scream a lack of refinement before you've even gotten a chance to interact with the damn machine.

In regards to the "Welcome to Macintosh" message, well, I love it. I see that message, and the smiling Mac, and I know that everything is okay. It's very comforting to me, especially when doing a little bit of troubleshooting. It's the little touches like this message that make using a Mac so great!

Forum Links
Forum Rules