Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car's black box convicts dangerous driver

Car's black box convicts dangerous driver
quandarry
Apr 14, 2004, 06:17 PM

i didn't know that this was possible...

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/04/14...ckbox_20040414

anyway to hack this?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2004, 06:25 PM

why would you want to hack something that only records data before an air bag is deployed?

-r.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2004, 06:40 PM

So he can break the law and not get convicted like he shoul be.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

quandarry  (op)
Apr 14, 2004, 08:04 PM

well i was mostly concerned with what might be next...like a aircraft type blackbox that keeps track of everything.

future scenario: you're driving along, cop pulls you over for suspected speeding, you deny it and he has no proof such as a radar read out. he pulls out a gadget and plugs it into your car and poof, your car rats on you and says you were going 100 at the time you were pulled over and the sign at the side of the road displays 75...you're busted!

or was that flasher on when you turned that corner and smacked in that pedestrian!!??

just a thought.

now i have never ever have been involved in any traffic offences....but....

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2004, 09:42 PM

Who cares? if you're breaking the law enough to harm someone else, then you shouldn't be driving. Nuff said.
Aloha

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2004, 09:47 PM

This is nothing new (old news, in fact, that is was possible).

I work in the auto industry so understand from experience.

The airbag controller is constantly recording information about the car in order to evaluate whether or not to deploy. It has only enough memory to save the last two seconds of data (recorded in incremements of microseconds, ususally). Two seconds later, new data has replaced the 4 second old data.

There is no subterfuge at work. There is no conspiracy. Automakers are not planning on recording minutes or hours of your driving habits for analysis later. It is for the airbag only. It just happens that this information is retrievable after a crash. It is used for warranty and failure analysis by the automakers usually if there was a problem or a perceived problem (or a lawsuit).

The reason more will not be recorded or that complex driving habit tracking will never be added is cost. Automakers will not spend a penny more for the car to do anything more than it needs. It would take some government a$$hole to pass a law requiring it for it to happen and the automakers would fight that tooth and nail.

I'm glad justice is served. They always say that it's not a crime unless you're caught. This bastard was caught. No invasion of privacy here. Public road. It was just good detective work and a utilization of resources available. Kind of like finding a speedometer stuck at 100mph or a clock frozen at the time of the accident.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules