Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > what do you think about ibook problems and Apple's service.

what do you think about ibook problems and Apple's service.
MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2004, 04:01 PM

I have had my iBook for a year now and it has only had one problem and it was my fault, I accidently pulled the battery charging cable loose on the board when I upgraded the hard drive. But that was an easy fix. I think that what alot of people don't think about is that, hey I just purchased an electronic peice of equipment that has probably in the billions of working parts and yes things can go wrong. Not to mention that the chances grow the older the equipment grows. (wear and tear) I know it seems like everyone on this site has a problem but then again it is for hardware, software, and whatever else TROUBLESHOOTING. There is no need to cry and wine about everylittle thing just get a solution and get it fixed. If you have problems they will eventually work out they always do. As we have seen if there is a problem then Apple will continue to work at fixing it. That is what they have done in the past, and I am sure they will continue to do so in the futre. I mean hey you could be dealling with a PC that you or someone put to gether and instead of dealing with one company, be dealing with 3 or 4. I also think the great thing about the Apple protection is that you have a year to decide that is really nice. I know that they have helped me with even the littlest things for support and never said they can't.

Hope to hear more imput from everyone.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 05:15 PM

input

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2004, 09:46 PM

WOW! That was amazing input.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Bi0miC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 03:50 AM

for 2 weeks ive tried to give my ibook into an apple dealer, and all the while their technician has been absent. this is frustrating as i need to walk 2kms every day during lunch in order to attempt to get my battery fixed. Whats worse is initially i was told it would be a week before the technician came back, but upon arriving on the monday of the next week, nope still no technician.

Not a great first impression from a recent switcher .. i only hope that the battery is delivered reasonable quickly once the issue is diagnosed ..

/end rant

drive-thru
Senior User
Nov 13, 2004, 07:34 AM

My Repair Experiences:
I had to get my iBook repaired last Easter; the display cable had frayed so the backlight would turn off if I moved the screen.
It took about 2 weeks for me to get my iBook back, but this is the UK so they probably had to ship it overseas (Ireland or The Netherlands, I think) to get it fixed. Luckily I was able to keep using my iBook until the Easter vacation when I no longer needed it for college, then sent it in.
My iPod stopped working within a week, so I sent it back to Apple and got a new one delivered to me within 3 days!

I haven't had any logic board failures on either of my iBooks, but I can see why people are upset with the way Apple has handled it. It was a good move to replace logic boards even on out-of-warranty iBooks, but I have heard of people getting failure after failure.
Having said that, Apple do seem to try to look at each case somewhat indivually. I know that people get offered a brand new replacement if their mac has continual problems.
Apple do appear to genuinely want their customers to be happy and their macs to be perfect.

swichd
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2004, 12:30 AM

With my iBook (I got it used), I sent it in to Apple for the logic board repair program cause the screen wasn't working right. They gave me a new combo drive while it was there. I got it back in about 1 week with a broken hard drive. Quick call to Apple and one week later I got it back. Hasn't skipped a beat since except for the stupid yoyo (now it replaced my cd-rw coaster ). I replaced it with a Macally AC adapter for $39.99 overnight shipped. Hard to live without your iBook, especially going back to PB 5300 land. It would have been nice if Apple did the repairs at the Apple Store.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"Microsoft Products are Generally Bug Free"
-- Bill Gates[/FONT]

eHoward
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 01:21 AM

I bought my iBook new in 2001. It's been back to apple 4 times now for repair. Worst Apple hardware I've ever owned.(and I've been using macs since the Plus)

Logic board
Screen (twice)
AC connection
Keyboard
Clamshell
otherstuff I'm forgeting

Right now it's my understanding that it needs another logic board so they're going to get me a new machine.

Apple support on the phone good. (actually they lost some of the repairs they did and asked me to prove it this last time)

Apple iBook quality on the repair bad.

After it came back from apple from repair for the first time when the backlight died, it wasn't right. I think all the other repairs are related to them screwing it up the first time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules