Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Spanning hack?

Spanning hack?
MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2005, 08:34 PM

I know this has been done to death. For tha I am very sorry. I did search and could not find it on the forum. How do I get my iBook to work with an external monitor when it is closed?
Thanks in advance.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2005, 12:14 AM

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2005, 02:13 AM

Well I downloaded it and the dual screen is awesome. It is so much better than using only one screen. Never realized how much nicer it was. I can't get it to work in clamshell mode though. I have not gotten to play with it to much but any info into why this won't work would be helpful thank you.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2005, 02:34 AM

I've installed this on my GF iBook and when first setting it up it asked if I want to span or use my iBook in clamshell mode. Maybe reseting the PRAM and starting up the App again might give you the option. Never really used clamshell mode because my girlfriend could careless that the VRAM splits when all she does is word and iTunes.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 08:59 AM

Currently the hack doesn't do clamshell properly. Well, technically it works but the VRAM is still split when in clamshell mode. Check the System Profiler if you don't believe me. One reason to get PB is this is important to you. Unless they fix the hack.

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2005, 03:31 AM

Well I already have an iBook so I don't need a PowerBook. Besides with all the upgrades I have done to this I am very satisfied with it. Also a PowerBook would not last in Iraq like my iBook has. It gives me the option to run clamshell mode but will not wake from sleep when I plug in a USB mouse and keyboard and press a key or button. If it doesn't work that Is fine I was more concerned with spanning. Any hacks that work correctly with clamshell mode?

grand mufti
Mar 4, 2005, 02:08 PM

i also was looking into this. i found that the reason for the no clam is over heating. now i cant be sure but i have read all over about NOT shuting the lid all the way .... just so the screen turns off.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2005, 09:53 PM

All you have to do to prevent overheating in clamshell mode is this:

1. Put the iBook to sleep.
2. Plug in a USB device or hit a key on your USB keyboard.
3. Open the screen (if it isn't already).

The internal LCD will still be turned off, however, you'll still have 16mb allocated to it. There's currently no way around this.

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2005, 11:51 PM

I understand all of this, believe me I understand this. I am not concerned with it overheating. I actually don't care if it overheats. It will only shut off. I just want it to work when it is closed, and it will not. Even if I try opening it just slightly. I have to have the screen on or it will stay asleep even if I turn the clamshell mode on. It just will not work. Are there any other hacks out there that I can try?

Forum Links
Forum Rules