Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gameranger OSX

Gameranger OSX
Corys
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2002, 12:26 PM

Preview 3.0 is out..for OSX
<a href="http://gameranger.com/preview/" target="_blank">http://gameranger.com/preview/</a>
www.prepressforums.com
News & Information for the Prepress Industry

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2002, 03:29 PM

Darn, I've waited so long for this to come and now it won't launch
"Cannot fetch update from server"

voice-
Jun 14, 2002, 03:34 PM

Goodie, bye-bye Only Mortal

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2002, 07:25 PM

cool seems to work fine here. Was able to get in from AoE2

So anyone up for some games?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

j3kyll
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2002, 07:42 PM

Been waiting an hour for a confirmation email. Was supposed to be a late release of August 2001. Not interested. OM2.
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard.

ambush
Banned
Jun 14, 2002, 09:15 PM

I'm a GR user since the early betas.

And I can tell you one thing. GR3 isn't the big deal everyone tought it was going to be.
Besides brand new game listing interface. It's basically the same thing.
Whats great is that it works on osx.
But it'S still a preview...
anyways... I was looking for more new features. but heh. Looks like almost 1 year of waiting for grx ( was announced at last year's MWNY ) did not make it real better.

<small>[ 06-14-2002, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: ambush ]</small>

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2002, 09:26 PM

I'm still not able to fetch any data from the server. (proxy settings are fine). So GR 3.0 stil won't launch for me. Does anyone have any suggestions....please??

joe
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2002, 11:24 PM

It works great for me. I just finished a few Quake3 FFA games using GameRanger for OSX. Favorites works great too - just like under OS9. It's been a while since I've used GR even in OS9 - nice to see my password and login still work

About the only thing I can't figure out is how to switch from using that new ping color bar back to actual numbers. The bar is nice, but it makes it tough to find games with players close to my ping (150-250ms). The server "info" window also uses this ping bar which makes it difficult to filter out servers with bots (0ms). Anyone know how to change this?........joe

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2002, 03:13 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Corys:
<strong>Preview 3.0 is out..for OSX
<a href="http://gameranger.com/preview/" target="_blank">http://gameranger.com/preview/</a></strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">could someone host the downloaded version ? because when i wanna download it with that gameranger thingie, simply doesn't work, when I enter my cable server info also....

Scott Kevill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2002, 09:54 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mr_Frost:
<strong>I'm still not able to fetch any data from the server. (proxy settings are fine). So GR 3.0 stil won't launch for me. Does anyone have any suggestions....please??</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by daydreamer:
<strong>could someone host the downloaded version ? because when i wanna download it with that gameranger thingie, simply doesn't work, when I enter my cable server info also....</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Are you needing to use proxies? Try downloading the installer again. Early downloads had a problem with HTTP proxies, and it's possible that later downloads could have been cached by your ISP (particularly if it's a proxy/cache combo).

Scott.
GameRanger - the Macintosh multiplayer online gaming service

Scott Kevill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2002, 09:56 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by joe:
<strong>About the only thing I can't figure out is how to switch from using that new ping color bar back to actual numbers. The bar is nice, but it makes it tough to find games with players close to my ping (150-250ms). The server "info" window also uses this ping bar which makes it difficult to filter out servers with bots (0ms). Anyone know how to change this?........joe</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">It defaults to that for new users. Go to Preferences: Appearance and uncheck "[ ] Show graphical game ping"

Scott.
GameRanger - the Macintosh multiplayer online gaming service

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2002, 08:56 PM

It really upsets me to see all those negative remarks on VT, I think the author did a really good job with it. What's with some people, never satisfied with anything. They bitch and moan for this, and when they finally get it, they set all over it.

I for one like the interface, it's intuitive and easy to navigate. The only thing that I have an issue with is that if you are in a given chat, you have to make a whole new chat if you want to host a game. Other than that, aces.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2002, 09:37 PM

Thx for the mail Scott ! Everything is working like a charm right now and I have to say that I like it a lot.

So for all those people with proxy problems...download the installer again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules