Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > boosting spreed with external hard drive?

boosting spreed with external hard drive?
jdoran
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2005, 12:56 AM

The 6000 plus photos I have on my computer have really been slowing down iphoto. I've been thinking about backing them up and deleting them all, however, I'd miss the easy access to them. I was considering buying an external hardrive to store them on. My question is this, will this actually boost iphoto's speed. I was thinking if I created another user account and set that user to the external har drive, than my computer would only access it then. Just wondering if anyone could give me feedback. thanks!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2005, 01:02 AM

What system are you on? Specs? What version of iPhoto. Have to give details cuz we don't always read minds.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

jdoran  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
What system are you on? Specs? What version of iPhoto. Have to give details cuz we don't always read minds.
right, sorry. I hate when people do that on forums (ask vague questions) and here I am doing it. Well, I'm on an imacG5 MacOSX, 10.3.9, 1 gig of ram, and iphoto 05. Hope that covers everything and thanks for any help!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2005, 12:12 PM

iMac G5 has a SATA disk. Can't see an external coming close to one of those.Try copying them into the shared folder, then setup a new user and reimport them to the new users iPhoto. See if its any faster than yours. If it is, you could have some kind of corruption somewhere, either associated with your original users iPhoto library, or the user itself.

If the iPhoto library is corrupt, copy the data files to another folder and let iPhoto create new ones. If you do it one data file at a time, you should be able to work out which is the dodgy one. If you're lucky it will be one of the thumbnail data files. (This means you won't have to discard your changes). So try those first.

The-Hole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2005, 09:56 PM

I had the same problem. G5 dual 2.0 with 4 gbs memory. iPhoto would bog down something nasty trying to load anything over 20,000 images (I have 37,000 images).
get rid of iPhoto.

I went with iView Media Pro, and let me tell you, that program screams compared to iPhoto. I can scroll through all of my image thumbnails and not have any hang time.

shmerek
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 11:33 PM

Do you have all the photos in one library? Apparently there is a way to make more than one so that iphoto doesn't have to load everything all at once.

Forum Links
Forum Rules