Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Boinc 5.25

Boinc 5.25
kenn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2005, 12:31 AM

BOINC 5.25 is now available for download!

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2005, 01:05 AM

Okay, now if everyone asks very nice, maybe mikkyo will compile an optimized version.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2005, 08:43 AM

Pleeeeeeeeze, Mikkyo?

beadman

mikkyo
Senior User
Oct 28, 2005, 11:41 PM

The source setup has gone from goofy organized to worse IMHO.
The nice Mac XCode project they now provide (configure was so simple) is all setup to build with gcc3.3 (no fast optimizations).
So it will take awhile for me to undo all their setup to force you to use the 5 year old compiler and switch it to work with gcc4.
More to come.
( Last edited by mikkyo; Oct 28, 2005 at 11:52 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Oct 29, 2005, 12:30 AM

My irrelevant thought was to wonder if BOINC 5.25 will fit on a 5.25" floppy. No doubt it would not.

Snake_doctor
Oct 29, 2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by reader50
My irrelevant thought was to wonder if BOINC 5.25 will fit on a 5.25" floppy. No doubt it would not.
No it won't it is over 4 megs compressed, and when uncompressed it runs like a pig and eats system resources accordingly. But it has the redeeming quality of helping the Windoze guys because it Benches at about 1/4 the measured speed of the 4.44 Superbench.

It seems however that if you are crunching R@H on a Dual G4 you will have to use it. The Dual "4s" are having problems at R@H with all other versions of BOINC. So for the sake of the Mac world and to save the universe from the evils of Microsoft, Mikkyo must accept this mission of mercy.
( Last edited by Snake_doctor; Oct 30, 2005 at 12:54 AM. )
We must seek intelligent life on other planets as it is increasingly apparent we will not find any on our own.

Link: http://www.boincsynergy.com/images/stats/comb-2033.jpg

Karl Schimanek
Nov 26, 2005, 01:15 PM

Since 24th, new version available: 5.2.8

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

mikkyo
Senior User
Nov 26, 2005, 02:17 PM

I'm working on 5.2.8 superbench now.
10.3.9 compatibility is an issue right now, once I get that sorted out you all know.

Snake_doctor
Nov 26, 2005, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by mikkyo
I'm working on 5.2.8 superbench now.
10.3.9 compatibility is an issue right now, once I get that sorted out you all know.
Mikkyo,

You Da Man!!

Regards
We must seek intelligent life on other planets as it is increasingly apparent we will not find any on our own.

mikkyo
Senior User
Nov 28, 2005, 02:27 PM

On the beta clients page, you can find superbench 5.2.8 for 10.4 only clui clients.

kenn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2005, 09:59 PM

Thanks Mikkyo. You rule!

Karl Schimanek
Nov 29, 2005, 03:07 PM

Is the BOINC Manager 5.2.8 with superbench the best available client?

Regards
Karl

P.S. And did make the superbench use of the two FPUs of the G5?

kenn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2005, 10:13 PM

I guess we spoke too soon. BOINC's now at 5.2.13!

Drash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 12:26 AM

Am I doing something wrong - I download whatever BOINCManager is currently going (the one that sits in the menubar), then I open the package up and replace the boinc unix executable with the boinc4.44 superbench (renaming, of course) - seems to work fine, and doesn't require mikkyo to keep making new stuff. Am I missing something/doing something wrong/sub-optimal.

Thx.

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by kenn
I guess we spoke too soon. BOINC's now at 5.2.13!
The 5.2.13 superbench 10.4.x clients are up at the same link as before.

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Drash
Am I doing something wrong - I download whatever BOINCManager is currently going (the one that sits in the menubar), then I open the package up and replace the boinc unix executable with the boinc4.44 superbench (renaming, of course) - seems to work fine, and doesn't require mikkyo to keep making new stuff. Am I missing something/doing something wrong/sub-optimal.

Thx.
Some projects will require 5.2.x clients, now or soon.
So if 4.44 works for you, all good, for now.

Andrew F
Dec 2, 2005, 09:00 PM

If I'm running 4.44superbench menubar right now on (G4 with 10.4), would I need to install the original 5.2.13 from the BOINC main site first, then replace the file in user>app support>BOINC data>projects>SETI with the optimized beta file?

Is it worth upgrading? Is there any performance improvement with v5 BOINC?
Here's what i got...
G5 dual 2GB 10.3.9
G4 dual 867 10.4

Snake_doctor
Dec 2, 2005, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew F
If I'm running 4.44superbench menubar right now on (G4 with 10.4), would I need to install the original 5.2.13 from the BOINC main site first, then replace the file in user>app support>BOINC data>projects>SETI with the optimized beta file?

Is it worth upgrading? Is there any performance improvement with v5 BOINC?
Here's what i got...
G5 dual 2GB 10.3.9
G4 dual 867 10.4
Andrew,

I would be careful upgrading to 5.2.13. When I did the upgrade my Dual G4 started erroring all of the R@H workunits. I have not been able to find a way to reinstall the 5.2.8 version that I had before. The new compile of the optimized 5.2.5 that was done is not the menu bar or GUI version it is command line only (CLI). I do not use the CLI version so it is not much help to me and I suspect it will not be much to you either.

That said, you can download the CLI version and run it in the terminal window without removing your old software. Just shut down BOINC install the CLI optimized, and run it instead of the menu bar version.

At least that way if things do not work out you can simply turn off the CLI version and restart using the menu bar version.

Regards
Phil

reader50
Administrator
Dec 3, 2005, 12:52 AM

Would it be useful to repost the beta 5.2.8 optimized clients? I pulled them when mikkyo provided the beta 5.2.13 versions.

Karl Schimanek
Dec 3, 2005, 03:09 PM

Yes, please.

Karl

reader50
Administrator
Dec 4, 2005, 01:22 AM

5.2.8 is back up, along with a couple new clients mikkyo has provided. The new clients are a Darwin x86 client, and a Universal G3/G4/G5/x86 client.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 10:48 PM

What is an x86 machine - a server?

beadman

MacStef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2005, 11:59 PM

hey all,
I have made to mistake of upgrading to the new Boinc because I was going to run the rosetta@home project. Needless to say the new project doesn't work on my Mac and everything else has been slowed down to almost 50% of the previous speed. My benchmarks have been cut in half as well. It's a shame that someone would say you need to do this and then that to help us run our project, only for it not to run and cause problems for everybody else's projects.
Here is my question:
How hard will it be to get rid of this new...laughably slow....Boinc and go back to Boinc 4.44? And where can I find the Boinc 4.44 download again? Also is there a lot of file that I will need to delete to do this?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
MacStef

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 5, 2005, 12:57 AM

If you mean you installed the plain 5.2.X release version and are unhappy, you can get the optimized version here:
beta clients page
or the stable ones here
boinc_4.44 clients

If you installed the optimized Beta boinc 5.2.8 or 5.2.13 clients and are unhappy, you should:
Post your problem with log messages, errors, etc.
OS version, machine type RAM.

MacStef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 05:58 AM

Thank you, Mikkyo. I didn't figure I needed the cpu info. because it's not a crasking problem. It's just the fact that 5.2.13 is just to slow. but I will post all the info. from now on.
Again, Thank you!

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 8, 2005, 05:50 PM

Possibly GUI-compatible 5.2.13 10.4 Only superbench clients are up on the Beta Clients Page

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by MacStef
Thank you, Mikkyo. I didn't figure I needed the cpu info. because it's not a crasking problem. It's just the fact that 5.2.13 is just to slow. but I will post all the info. from now on.
Again, Thank you!
5.2.13 is neither slower nor faster then prior versions. Optimized clients only improve benchmarks and credit claimed, BOINC client does not impact actual speed of crunching.

What you may be seeing is a coincidental increase in protein size being worked on. Rosetta has work units that vary dramatically in size. They tend to send these out in batches, so that you may get a bunch of 1 hour units and then suddenly get a bunch of 9 hour units. You earn credit based upon how long it takes to do the work, so you credit is not negatively impacted.

On my iMac G5 1.6ghz, I have not noticed any slowdowns from upgrading, that is why posting your CPU info may be helpful, as it helps to identify any processor or graphic chip related problems that might be impacted by a change.

Andrew F
Dec 9, 2005, 12:46 AM

Ummm, help... thanks so much for creating the optimized betas, but I don't recognize them by these GUI and possibly GUI names... what does this mean?

I'm running 4.44 superbench Menubar on
G4 with 10.4
G5 wth 10.3.9

so if I want to upgrade to v5 Boinc, what beta do I want? and do I have to download the standard non-optimized BOINC 5.2.13 from the SETI website first? and replace with the beta, or just download the beta?

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 9, 2005, 05:47 AM

The beta clients are for daring folks that want to find bugs and complain about them.
They only work on 10.4.

If you really want to try them out, you need the standard Boinc 5.2.13 GUI of your choice (menubar or manager).
Get that working first, then stop everything an put the optimized gui version inside the app bundle, renaming it to match the boinc client inside Resources.

There are detailed instructions in several threads, but if you aren't sure, dont worry about it.
You can wait for the beta test phase to be over, and pre-stuffed GUI Menubar and Manager will be provided, until then you are fine with your 4.44 Menubar.

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2005, 06:58 PM

Mikkyo: I previously tried your 5.2.13 gui-compatible Superbench beta inside stock BOINC Menubar, and - starting today - your 5.2.13 BOINC Menubar Superbench beta, and have repeatedly seen the client cease computing, while the menubar item still indicates activity (i.e. the 'start' menu item is greyed-out) and the log shows no errors. It just doesn't crunch anymore (as seen by idling CPUs). I need to stop and start BOINC via the menu to get things going again. I couldn't find any entries in the system.log or elsewhere. This has happened both while crunching SETI a few days ago, and while crunching CPDN twice today.

Is this a known problem? I've never experienced anything like this with BOINC Menubar 4.44 Superbench...

System: Dual 2.5 GHz G5, 10.4.3. Other non-OS menubar items active are Menu Meters, Timbuktu, PathFinder.

If there are any specific places to look for log entries or other trouble shooting info, please let me know...

Keep up the good work!

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 12, 2005, 08:56 PM

Seti has been having issues, so that could be part of it.

Did you install the libcpdn.pkg from ClimatePrediction?

The should be a log or messages window you can look at in the gui for info.

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2005, 04:17 AM

Did you install the libcpdn.pkg from ClimatePrediction?
Yup, did that...

The should be a log or messages window you can look at in the gui for info.
Nothing in the log at all, as I said. Just stops progressing. When I stop boinc through the menubar, the following is written to the log (which I beleive is normal):

Code:
2005-12-13 09:16:00 [---] Received signal 15 2005-12-13 09:16:01 [---] Exit requested by user
I'll keep a lookout for future occurrences, and will let you know if I find anything new...

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2005, 07:01 AM

Another weird behaviour I've noticed with the current beta of BOINC Menubar 5.2.13 Superbench: progress information in the menu is only shown for the first (upper) computation running at a given time. The second (lower) claims 'None Running' under 'Current Project', despite the fact that both project icons in the menubar are black and both CPUs are chrunching. The log also indicates that two WUs are in progress. This has happened both for SETI and CPDN. Something's odd here...

HTH,

Ron

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 13, 2005, 04:07 PM

Are you sure you quit/killed your running Boinc processes before launching the new Menubar app?
I would quit/kill everything, reboot, check and make sure nothing is running, and launch the one you want to run.
Then check and see what is running and what the activity is.

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2005, 06:39 PM

Thanx for the reply! Did all that - several reboots - no change. Second item is always listed as 'None Running', despite the fact that it actually is. I don't mind too much - the other way around would bother me more

If you'd like a screenshot, let me know where to send it...

Cheers,

Ron

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2005, 08:56 AM

Mikkyo: I just had another instance where - after stopping and re-starting computation - the menubar indicators showed activity, but no CPU-activity was to be seen. In the log, it said 'another instance of boinc is already running' (or some such). But there was no other BOINC instance running, I guarantee. Quitting and re-launching BOINC Menubar didn't help, either. I had to reboot to solve the jam. Seem something's wonky with process management/tracking.

BOINC Menubar Superbench 5.2.13 beta on 10.4.3, G5 DP 2.5 GHz, Finder quit (using Path Finder 4 beta instead).

Any leads? Have you tested the betas on a dual G5?

(BTW: the above issue with the second computation not being listed in the menu still persists).

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 20, 2005, 05:11 AM

I have dozens of machines running, but all are just running the gui compatible client that is inside the menubar and manager as a clui.
Do you have any of these issues with the standard menubar cient?

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2005, 05:28 AM

Do you have any of these issues with the standard menubar cient?
I haven't tested that because I don't want my machines to claim low credit. But I guess I should try the stock menubar client. I will and I'll let you know what I find...

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2005, 05:54 AM

OK, I installed stock Menubar 5.2.13 and tested a few things. The issue where the second computation doesn't show up in the menu is still there, and is unaffected by other third-party menubar items (Default Folder, Menu Meters, Timbuktu).

The refusing-to-restart issue is difficult to reproduce, since it only shows up intermittently (only after a long uptime?).

I'm tempted to revert to BOINC Menubar Superbench 4.44. Do you think that's safe to do?

TIA for your feedback!

Cheers,

Ron

mgoeckner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2005, 12:29 AM

I have put CLI 5.2.13 Clients - the superbench versions - on a G3 and two G4 - both running fine (and about double the old average) but it does not seem to want to work on two iMac G5's (1.8G) - It loads but it can't seem to find the computer (ie localhost) What am I missing? (Yeah I know it is a beta....)

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2005, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by mgoeckner
I have put CLI 5.2.13 Clients - the superbench versions - on a G3 and two G4 - both running fine (and about double the old average) but it does not seem to want to work on two iMac G5's (1.8G) - It loads but it can't seem to find the computer (ie localhost) What am I missing? (Yeah I know it is a beta....)
That problem crops up every now and then with the Mac clients. 5.2.13 fixed it for me on my iMac G5. Try restarting the computer, with BOINC set to load on startup.

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2005, 10:21 AM

I have now reverted to BOINC Menubar 4.44 Superbench. The problems with the second computation not showing in the menu are gone now. So it's definitely something with 5.2.13, but universally so (problem present in stock and Superbench varieties).

FWIW,

Ron

PS: Lost all my current CPDN wu in the process - oh well. Back to full-time S@H

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2006, 05:54 AM

mikkyo, I have a suggestion regarding the packaging of your builds: could you provide them as .zip or .tgz files instead of .sit? The StuffIt format unnecessarily complicates things when installing the CLI-version on a remote machine that is CLI-managed and doesn't have StuffIt installed...

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2006, 06:24 AM

And a question: some of my CLI-installations contain a boinc_cmd executable (in addition to the standard boinc executable). What is it for? Is it needed when running mikkyo's clients?

TIA,

Ron

Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2006, 08:41 AM

Don't forget to check that you remove BOINC screensaver from the screensaver folder in your user and in your main hard disk. I can''t recall where, but I heard that leaving it can cause problems.

Also check the Preferences folder for left over prefs files and one more to check out is the reciepts folder, which has BOINC stuff in it.

Also reboot maybe and check permissions from the install disk dropdown menu disk utility. Just running it from within the system is limited value I am told.

I am running BOINC Manger 5.2.13 superbench on Einstien without problems, so far.

K.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 7, 2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by halimedia
mikkyo, I have a suggestion regarding the packaging of your builds: could you provide them as .zip or .tgz files instead of .sit? The StuffIt format unnecessarily complicates things when installing the CLI-version on a remote machine that is CLI-managed and doesn't have StuffIt installed...
At the moment, it would have to be 'instead of' rather than 'as well as'. We currently have enough BOINC downloads that my webspace approached capacity. I had to split the beta downloads into a separate webspace.

Once some more clients leave beta and older stable clients can be dumped, the problem will vanish.

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2006, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by reader50
At the moment, it would have to be 'instead of' rather than 'as well as'.
Not a problem for anyone, IMO - BOMArchiveHelper can deal with either format, so can StuffIt, and gnutar or unzip can do the job in the CLI. I think .sit is falling by the wayside now that Apple no longer bundles StuffIt, ant .sitx was a cruel joke by Allume on all Classic users, IMO.

Edit: Actually, I think for the GUI clients (Manager and Menubar), a compressed .dmg would be the most 'correct' form of packaging.
( Last edited by halimedia; Jan 8, 2006 at 07:09 AM. )

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2006, 07:07 AM

Just out of curiosity: how high is the served volume of the boinc compiles? Maybe I can donate some bandwidth. BTW: I assume you knew that .mac monthly traffic volume has recently been increased significantly (just in case you have a spare .mac account lying around).

reader50
Administrator
Jan 8, 2006, 03:05 PM

I don't know the download bandwidth, the files are hosted in generic ISP webspace. They've never cut it off or sent any notes, so apparently it's well within limits.

Andrew F
Jan 11, 2006, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by halimedia
I have now reverted to BOINC Menubar 4.44 Superbench. The problems with the second computation not showing in the menu are gone now. So it's definitely something with 5.2.13, but universally so (problem present in stock and Superbench varieties). ~Ron
I've reproduced the same bug as halimedia -- was running 4.44 superbench menubar, and tried the 5.2.13 superbench menubar on a dual G4. The "none running" status shows under the second processor in the menu, but the icon statusbar and log indicate that it is running. While not ideal, this seems more successful than the freezes I was having with 4.44 lately, which seemed to happen more often with SZTAKI and Predictor. With both versions, I'm using the alpha-5.

I decided to try v5 BOINC to get Rosetta back in the crunching, but it hasn't resumed computing since connecting for a session almost two days ago, so who knows what's up with that. And CPDN seems to be crediting trickles on my online acct, but not my combined stats sig or menubar.

Forum Links
Forum Rules