Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Unexpected quits???

Unexpected quits???
TATungseth
Mar 22, 2000, 10:16 PM

Is anyone else having a problem with lots of "unexpected quits?" It started with Quicken being a problem, with it unexpectedly quitting (with the appropriate error message) about one out of every five times that I would use it.

Now, over the past couple of days, some of my other programs seem to want to do the same thing. Both MacPoet and Netscape periodically "unexpectedly quit." Like I said, probably about one out of every five times that I use those programs.

I'm on a G4/ 450, as it was out of the box with OS 9.0. I don't have any programs installed that are known to be trouble. All of the programs are the latest versions.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2000, 10:31 PM

i would use slboett's AppleScript to delete a mess of pref's files... unless you feel like doing it manually
see this for the AppleScript app: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum1/HTML/000575.html

or manually delete these files: Finder Pref's, MacOS pref's, System pref's, Apple Menu Options pref's, Display pref's

and delete Netscape's pref's file too, and if you don't mind 'losing' your History in Netscape, you can make a folder named Netscape History and use it to replace the file with the same name in the Netscape Pref's folder... this will bulletproof you from 'History file corruption' in Netscape but it also kills the use of History...

now restart, after putting the files in the trash...

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 03-22-2000).]

NovoPrint
Mar 24, 2000, 02:26 PM

We are experiencing Unexpected Quits in Microsoft Excel and QuarkXPress. Our line of Adobe software seems very stable.

Excel opens, then after about 4-5 seconds, an Unexpected Quit -2 occurs. After reopening Excel, the same thing happens in less time...and the next open it passes the splash screen then quits.

QuarkXPress doesn't quit as often as Excel, however, it is still unacceptable.

We are running Office 98 (with the OS9 patches from Microsoft applied) and XPress 4.1.
G4/500 : 512MB RAM (2-256MB) : OS9 (9.0.2 enabler)

Please, any suggestions or answers to these quits would be greatly appreciated. Help us out at [email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules