Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Software Update: A Plea to Apple

Software Update: A Plea to Apple
TATungseth
Jul 2, 2000, 05:51 PM

Ever since the Software Update control panel was released, I have enjoyed telling my WinTel friends how easy it is to update components of the system software. In theory anyway. Mine doesn't work!

I have a DSL connection with a "keep alive" utility (MacPoet) that it needs in order to stay on the internet. However, Software Update needs to quit all currently running programs in order to do it's duty. Thus, when it goes to fetch the new software, it breaks the connection, thereby shooting itself in the foot and making itself useless.

Since October/ 99, Apple's TIL has mentioned that they are aware of the problem and that a "fix is in the works." However, that TIL is now more than six months old, and I haven't seen any update.

The TIL can be read here: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60598

This a common problem and shared by just about all of the Mac users I know who have a high speed connection at home. How about it, Apple? Can we get this pesky little bug squashed so we can use this great feature of OS 9???

[This message has been edited by TATungseth (edited 07-02-2000).]

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2000, 10:26 PM

Hi,

Does even the latest Software Update 1.1.3 still have this problem? If so, I guess you'll have to try to wait patiently for version 1.1.4 or later... :-(

Regards,

Paul

Forum Links
Forum Rules