Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > NEVER ENDING BACKUP....iPhone 2.0

NEVER ENDING BACKUP....iPhone 2.0
AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2008, 06:31 PM

Ever since i updated to software version 2.0 on the iPhone, when the phone syncs it now 'backup' god-knows-what and it takes forever each time. What gives?
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by AppleGirl1990 View Post
Ever since i updated to software version 2.0 on the iPhone, when the phone syncs it now 'backup' god-knows-what and it takes forever each time. What gives?
I was wondering the same thing. I thought it was actually backing everything up this time (as opposed to just contacts and settings), but when I went to ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync, it was only a 17.8MB file (YMMV).
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 07:21 PM

Yeah this is either a feature or a bug, I don't think anyone knows yet. But me and a lot of others are noticing this. For now, I've just been hitting the cancel (little x next to the progress bar) to cancel the backup, and it will still sync.

I hope either Apple fixes the bug, or if its intentional I hope they add an option to turn that off. Annoying indeed.

PS - One thing I read on the Apple Support Forums that helped out a little was to go into your MobileMe (or .Mac) System Preference pane and under the Sync tab select "Advanced...", then click "Reset Sync Data..." and let it run. It has shortened my iPhone backup time significantly, but if I'm in a hurry to sync I just cancel the backup.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Yeah this is either a feature or a bug, I don't think anyone knows yet. But me and a lot of others are noticing this. For now, I've just been hitting the cancel (little x next to the progress bar) to cancel the backup, and it will still sync.
That's what I've been doing too.

I'm betting we see a slew of updates in the coming weeks fixing this and tons of other bugs with 2.0.

EdOfTheMountain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2008, 09:12 AM

I had been canceling my never ending backup after 30-40 minutes.

It started working after I unchecked the 20-30 iPhone applications I had installed and synced to remove them. Once I did that a backup completed in less than a minute.

This either means that backing up an iPhone with multiple applications installed is incredibly slow ( hours? ) or that removing some or all of the applications fixed the problem.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 09:14 AM

2.1 significantly decreased backup times for me.

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008, 09:40 AM

I brought that up with the apple helpdesk a while ago. I was asked "are you plugged into a USB hub or into a main USB port on your mac?" I was using the keyboard port. I moved it to a port on the back of my imac and haven't had the problem since then...
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
2.1 significantly decreased backup times for me.
2.1 or 2.0.1?

nexus5.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 04:07 PM

Sorry, 2.0.1 of course. My bad.

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2008, 10:00 PM

My USB is plugged into the back of my Apple Display. So that shouldn't cause any problems??
The slow speed clearly has nothing to do with the speed of the computer because mine is the fastest around.

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008, 11:18 PM

The display is actually a hub. I was told by Apple that the problem was only with non-apple hubs but it's worth a try. Just for fun try moving your iPhone to one of the USB 2.0 ports on the back of your mac.
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2008, 07:37 AM

On your suggestion i plugged my 3G phone directly into my Computer.
My sync took exactly 2 minutes and 21 seconds (MUCH shorter then my previous syncs)

But to be 100% sure that your suggestion solved the problem, i'll have to wait a day or so.
I've had fast syncs in the past. They came after i allowed the 40 minute sync (which i did last night).

So if i'm able to replicate this success on Sunday (waiting a day or so), then you were correct and the Apple Hub built into my Display is sucky.

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2008, 11:28 AM

Plugging directly into my Mac solved the problem for me. I had been previously connected through a hub - now I've got to go buy a USB extension cable so the damn thing will reach all the way down behind my desk to the tower!! Argh!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2008, 12:28 PM

Mine's been plugged directly into my iMac the whole time. I've seen my backups take as long as 2 hours and as short as 2 minutes. The only thing I seem to notice is that whenever an app is added or updated, the backup takes forever. If no app has been updated or added the backup goes quick.

This still sucks, and I really hope Apple comes up with a better solution for keeping your data backed up. I understand the need for backing up now that we have apps that hold more important data than ever. But this just takes way too long.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2008, 12:42 PM

If you have any question about the speed of the USB port you're plugged into you can always look it up in Apple System Profiler

ammarmalhas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2008, 08:37 PM

My iPhone 3G v2.0.2 backups took several hours to complete. Last night I left the phone syncing and backing up for 18 full hours before I finally gave up and hit the X button. However, I put the phone in airplane mode (it was already in it) and turned off the WiFi and tried to backup again, AND ..... IT WORKED!! It took 5 minutes or less to do the backup! I tried it several times and it works. It seems that the WiFi, when left on, causes the massive delays!! I do not know why, I am no iPhone expert! Anyway, I hope this helps some of you out there.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2008, 04:17 PM

I've never had a backup take more than 5-7 minutes since 2.0.1.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2008, 04:42 PM

I'm 2.0.2 and it takes me nearly 5 hours to backup.

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2008, 05:39 PM

Can anyone else confirm that turning off WiFi before a sync eliminates the problem?

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2008, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by AppleGirl1990 View Post
Can anyone else confirm that turning off WiFi before a sync eliminates the problem?
No change for me.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2008, 07:56 AM

Well, the rumors have it that iPhone 2.1 software is going to be released Tuesday. I haven't seen any chatter about it fixing the painfully slow backup times, but hopefully it does. I love you Apple, please help us!

Forum Links
Forum Rules