Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Netscape Netcenter pissed me off!!!

Netscape Netcenter pissed me off!!!
TATungseth
Jul 22, 2000, 11:22 PM

I don't know if anyone uses Netscape Netcenter any more, but if they do, it just recently pissed me off!!!

Now that AOL is in charge, I got an e-mail that they want me to change my screen name -- out of the blue. They say that it's so that users can "universally" use the same screen name among many different web sites. They "regret" that the old screen name is no longer valid.

However, it was my frigg'n name!!! Also, I use AOL IM, and they say that the new chosen screen name will be both for Netcenter and AOL IM.

So, while everyone has my NAME and can get in touch with me easily, now, they just want me to delete it and get one of those AOL "John47812" ids. That totally sucks!!! Meanwhile, I'll bet that the one I've been using (i.e. my NAME) will just get deleted, as I'm being prevented from using it.

Thanks for nothing, AOL!

This rant is over. . .anyone else peeved by this?

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2000, 12:11 AM

Two or three summers ago I used AOL for a week--one of those free x # of hours deals. I had such a terrible experience that I ran away from AOL as fast as I could and never looked back. ICQ does well in place of AIM and doesn't install 250,000 files, extensions, and --major crime, in my book, aliases in the Startup Folder.

This summer I visited some friends who were suckered into buying a Windoze machine for $400 off if they subscribed to AOL's new conquest, Compuserve. Boy are they ever sorry!

So I'm not surprised at your rant. Wanna change ISPs?
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

TATungseth  (op)
Jul 23, 2000, 05:27 PM

Thank God, AOL isn't my ISP. But I have been using Netcenter as a portal and for it's web-based e-mail.

But I should have known that it would be nothing but trouble when the Netscape News has been forzen in time and hasn't been updated since May 11. . . .

I just don't know what they couldn't have left well enough alone, and let me continue to use the same sign-in name that I've used for a couple of years. What kind of security concern could have created the need to change the screen name willy-nilly???

It just sucks. Now I have to contact everyone and let them know of the change, for no particular reason. . . .

Forum Links
Forum Rules