Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > CodeWarrior and VirtualPC

CodeWarrior and VirtualPC
Rick Johnson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2002, 11:17 PM

CodeWarrior on the Mac can compile for Windows and, from the Mac, debug an app running on a networked Windows PC.

Has anyone done this using VirtualPC? My research indicates it can't be done, but maybe I'm wrong. If you've gotten this to work, I'd really appreciate hearing how you did it. Thanks -- Rick

hayesk
Nov 5, 2002, 04:34 PM

Do you mean remote debugging? (i.e. Debugger runs on Mac, file on Windows?) If so, I think you can do it on a Mac with two serial ports - you use a null modem cable on the serial ports - the debugger on the Mac reads the data on the port connected to the port which is used on the PC. I remember reading something like that in the CodeWarrior docs a few years ago.

The other thing you could do is install CodeWarrior for Windows on VPC, and debug your app from there.

Rick Johnson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2002, 06:37 PM

Yes, I was referring to remote debugging. A few years ago it was done using serial ports between the Mac running CodeWarrior and the PC running the program being debugged, but I understand it's now done using ethernet. However, if VirtualPC is running on the same Mac as CodeWarrior, it doesn't make sense to have to run a cable out from the Mac and then back to itself... and plug into what, a second ethernet card?

At one time Metrowerks combined the Mac and Windows versions of CodeWarrior, and raised the price accordingly. Then they split it back into two products, and kept the higher price for each product. Ouch! I'd rather not buy the Windows version in addition to the Mac version if I can do the job with just the Mac version, running on just my Mac (no separate Windows box). I'm not very confident this is possible.

hayesk
Nov 6, 2002, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Rick Johnson:
Yes, I was referring to remote debugging. A few years ago it was done using serial ports between the Mac running CodeWarrior and the PC running the program being debugged, but I understand it's now done using ethernet. However, if VirtualPC is running on the same Mac as CodeWarrior, it doesn't make sense to have to run a cable out from the Mac and then back to itself... and plug into what, a second ethernet card?
Oh, good question! Are you connected to a NAT router? If so, could you assign a different IP address manually to VPC rather than have it do it's automatic IP thingy that VPC does. (I don't know what they call the feature - I only have VPC 2.0 which needed a separate address.)

Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules