Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Verizon iPhone. Any gotchas?

Verizon iPhone. Any gotchas?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2011, 11:43 PM

I mean, besides no talk while surfing, are there any little annoyances with Big Red that go under-reported because they don't have as many customers? Missing features? Wrongly calculated data consumption? Decreased bandwidth among other VZ phones? Unexpected fees? Is it really more Mbps in more places? Does it block VoIP like it happens with MiFis? Does go PATRIOT on you? Follow Up CarrierIQ Video Contradicts Company Claims - Shows Software Tracks Pretty Much Everything | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2011, 01:20 AM

I've been pretty impressed with my mom's 4S on Verizon. I haven't heard of any other limitations than the lower data speed and lack of voice-data concurrency. I haven't heard of app limitations that don't exist on other iPhones. I don't think Apple would take kindly to that. Oh, and it's slightly more expensive than AT&T because of the need to get the $30 data plan, but I heard they're rolling out a cheaper data package again.

The major plus sides are better coverage and voice quality as well as not getting discriminated against for owning an iPhone when it comes to SIM card unlocking.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2011, 01:36 AM

SIM cards? I thought that was a GSM only thing?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2011, 02:45 AM

Right, except Verizon will unlock the baseband so that you can use other SIMs internationally, which AT&T wants to continue refusing to do.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2011, 07:31 AM

Big, can she talk and use WiFi simultaneously? I've been told that you can with the VZW iPhone.
45/47

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2011, 08:10 AM

Yes, that works fine. I should have put 3G in parentheses when I mentioned that point. Web is very speedy through WIFI even when a call is being placed.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2011, 06:15 PM

Awesome. I got decent reception in the wilderness of the Jemez Mountains in NM, never a dropped call and data is fine. Reliable is what I'd call Verizon. just like the Alltel network that I was on before VZ gobbled it up.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2011, 07:48 PM

Better call reception, much lower data speeds

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2011, 01:25 PM

With LTE Verizon phones, you can talk with high MOS and surf at 10Mbps at the same time.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2011, 10:21 PM

But there's no such thing as an LTE iPhone, yet.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2012, 03:20 AM

I have both. My personal phone is at&t, my work phone is VZW. No talking and surfing on the VZW phone unless you use WiFi. (I miss lots of notifications while I'm on a conference call during my morning commute).

My at&t data speeds are between 4 and 7mbps. VZW are between .25 and 1.1mbps. Huge, very noticeable difference.

Also: Setting up voice features on the at&t (such as call forwarding) is very straight forward and menu driven. On the VZW phone you need to memorize various key sequences such as *72 (number) for forwarding. Odd that this wasn't as nicely integrated.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2012, 03:37 PM

Certainly not a big deal, but the other thing that the CDMA phones wont do is merge text messages. Apparently if you send a text through AT&T or any other GSM provider, if it's too long for one text, the phone can read that they have been seperated & then merge them back together so it comes across looking like 1 text. The CDMA phones can't do this, so you get multiple messages. Not a deal breaker by any means, but it is a difference between AT&T vs. Verizon & Sprint.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by mkral View Post
Certainly not a big deal, but the other thing that the CDMA phones wont do is merge text messages. Apparently if you send a text through AT&T or any other GSM provider, if it's too long for one text, the phone can read that they have been seperated & then merge them back together so it comes across looking like 1 text. The CDMA phones can't do this, so you get multiple messages. Not a deal breaker by any means, but it is a difference between AT&T vs. Verizon & Sprint.
CDMA has always been wonky with text messages. Back in the early days they had a hard time texting to GSM carriers. Then, they had problems texting to international carriers. Now they can't merge messages. CDMA always feels a day late and a dollar short to me.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules