Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Theft-only iPhone insurance?

Theft-only iPhone insurance?
MisterEqual
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2015, 06:23 PM

Does anyone know if there exists such a thing as theft-only insurance for the iPhone? I got myself a new iPhone 6 and I bought AppleCare Plus but I see that this doesn't cover theft. I don't want to buy another, third-party insurance policy that does cover theft in addition to all sorts of other things. Therefore: might someone know of a theft-only policy I can buy?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 17, 2015, 08:00 PM

Welcome! You should know that Apple Care doesn't cover a lot of things that I think are important with a phone. AT&T, for example, offers a comprehensive insurance that covers theft, physical damage to include glass breakage AND water damage, and more. It's worth it to me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MisterEqual  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2015, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Welcome! You should know that Apple Care doesn't cover a lot of things that I think are important with a phone. AT&T, for example, offers a comprehensive insurance that covers theft, physical damage to include glass breakage AND water damage, and more. It's worth it to me.
True. But then don't you miss out on getting the extended AppleCare?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 18, 2015, 10:35 PM

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Apple Care covers the guts, the insurance covers the rest, and it's essentially pennies a day. I'm pretty sure all the US carriers have similar "we cover everything" plans.

MisterEqual  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2015, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The two aren't mutually exclusive. Apple Care covers the guts, the insurance covers the rest, and it's essentially pennies a day. I'm pretty sure all the US carriers have similar "we cover everything" plans.
Is there a way to buy only AppleCare and not AppleCareC+? It seems that original AC doesn't really exist any longer but I couldn't really figure that out. I used to get AC and insurance but now it appears I'm "doubling up" on coverage because AppleCare+ appears to be the only option. Thoughts?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 19, 2015, 03:47 PM

Double coverage means you get a choice of how to handle things. I had a problem with my 4s while out of town on business, and I went to the AT&T store a block away from my hotel to get it looked at. They said it was iffy as to whether they could fix it, but told me where the nearest Apple Store was (a few blocks farther away), and suggested I get a Genius appointment. The Genius ran two tests and immediately diagnosed the phone with a WiFi and Bluetooth antenna issue - and replaced it on the spot. That helped me decide that having both coverages worked for me.

To me, double coverage would only be an issue if your carrier's insurance were noticeably costly. AppleCare does a great job with oddball stuff, and especially with the occasional "oops, your phone really isn't up to par because [insert your model-specific issue here], so here's a new one." And as far as I'm concerned, AppleCare is the better choice for software/iOS/app issues over any carrier's insurance.

But AppleCare explicitly doesn't cover your phone if/when your buddy knocks it off the table and it smashes on the floor, or if the dog throws up on it and ruins it - carriers' insurance usually does cover those things. So far I have not had a breakage issue with an iPhone (since my first, the 3s) but for most people this is a "when not if" thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules