Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Recover DMG file

Recover DMG file
Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2004, 12:13 AM

I have a 4.7GB DMG file that is encrypted. I am getting an error "no mountable volumes". This has happened before but loging out/in has always fixed it.

This time, no go.

My password still works, but Disk Utility says:

Missing thread record (id = 126)
Missing thread record (id = 804)
Missing thread record (id = 67398)
The volume needs to be repaired.

Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

How can I mount this volume? Any other tools out there?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2004, 03:16 AM

Maybe running DiskWarrior on the image would work?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Trygve  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2004, 03:43 AM

I do not have DiskWarrior and it is about US$175 (I am in New Zealand). Will it work on image files?

I can get the file to open with DiskUtility and show up as device disk2s9, but no volume mounts.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2004, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by Trygve:
I do not have DiskWarrior and it is about US$175 (I am in New Zealand). Will it work on image files?

I can get the file to open with DiskUtility and show up as device disk2s9, but no volume mounts.
I am able to run DiskWarrior on images after mounting them.

But US$175 - jeez! That's about twice the price that it is in the states. Sorry to hear that...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Trygve  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2004, 04:49 AM

Anyone know if I can use DiskWarrior if an DMG won't mount?

I does get past the password verification... and shows up in DiskUtility as a device (Even subroasasoft's DiskGuardian sees the disk2s9 device thatt he DMG creates.

Can DiskWarrior see devices and work with them even if the volume on them is messed up?

This is a real crisis as only some of my backups are here and the others are in the US in a safety box... the only way to get them is for me to fly to the US.

Trygve

Trygve  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2004, 07:24 AM

Well, I bought DiskWarrior online and downloaded it here in New Zealand (half the price of buying locally).

I have to use DiskUtility to convert my image to a non-encrypted one, then DiskWarrior was able to recover most of it... directories ended up all over the place, but most things appear to be intact.

I'll know more once I have gone through everything, but so far, so good.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2004, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Trygve:
Well, I bought DiskWarrior online and downloaded it here in New Zealand (half the price of buying locally).

I have to use DiskUtility to convert my image to a non-encrypted one, then DiskWarrior was able to recover most of it... directories ended up all over the place, but most things appear to be intact.

I'll know more once I have gone through everything, but so far, so good.
Good to hear that you were able to get your files back.

DiskWarrior is a marvelous utility, and I'm sure you won't regret having it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules