Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Happy Father’s Day - Also Cooking With Beer

Happy Father’s Day - Also Cooking With Beer
Thorzdad
Jun 20, 2021, 11:21 AM

Hope any fellow dads here are having a good day today

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 20, 2021, 12:19 PM

Thanks. Mine is going nicely. No real plans, but that’s fine.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad  (op)
Jun 20, 2021, 12:32 PM

No real plans here, either. Another kids-long-grown-and-long-gone couple are coming over tonight for pizza and cards. That’s just how us olds roll, I guess.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 21, 2021, 10:49 AM

Wife took the kids and up and left on Saturday, headed out of town to visit a friend. I spent the day working on my car, getting groceries, eating Pizza Hut pizza, watching a Tom Clancy movie, and drinking too much bourbon. Family got home Sunday afternoon, so we packed up and went to my parents' house, where I built the grill we kids bought for my dad, then proceeded to grill brats on the new grill. Busy but good.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2021, 01:51 PM

Happy Father’s Day to all of you!

Watched Knives Out with my dad, which was excellent and a lot of fun, though in hindsight maybe not the best Father’s Day movie. Maybe he’s trying to tell me something.

As an aside, the key to the ultimate brat is maintaining the integrity of the casing. So, it needs to be cooked very slow, about 45 minutes. I keep them cool by pouring beer on them every now and then, and keep that part of the grill oiled, so it doesn’t stick.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 21, 2021, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Happy Father’s Day to all of you!

Watched Knives Out with my dad, which was excellent and a lot of fun, though in hindsight maybe not the best Father’s Day movie. Maybe he’s trying to tell me something.
Really enjoyed that one. Recommendations on similar movies? Maybe Clue?

As an aside, the key to the ultimate brat is maintaining the integrity of the casing. So, it needs to be cooked very slow, about 45 minutes. I keep them cool by pouring beer on them every now and then, and keep that part of the grill oiled, so it doesn’t stick.
I usually boil them in a pot filled with High Life and onions for 10 or so minutes, then finish on the grill for the grill marks and a crispy casing. Didn't take any beer to my parents house and either way I doubt they'd appreciate the house reeking of hot beer for a couple days afterwards.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2021, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
boil

andi*pandi
Jun 21, 2021, 04:52 PM

My spouse is working away for a month, so we did a family zoom and played https://skribbl.io/ for a while.

We grilled some kind of sausages and improvised stirfried sauerkraut. No beer.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2021, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Maybe Clue?
Clue was recommended by the streaming service afterwards. Both my dad and I are big enough film snobs we made fun of the idea. Neither of us have seen it, but it was hard to imagine it being as good as Knives Out. The gimmick ending of Clue is certainly a big turn-off for me.

Though I haven’t seen them, Knives Out was based on the Peter Ustinov Poirot movies from the 80s (Johnson’s a big fan). Skimming what Google tells me, they’re the exact same idea (lavishly produced, all-star ensemble mysteries), but I’d imagine there’s less satire.

Edit: if you want to go ultra-heavy on biting satire, and less so with the “twisty mystery” (as in not at all), I unreservedly recommend 15 Minutes.
( Last edited by subego; Jun 21, 2021 at 08:11 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2021, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
No beer.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 21, 2021, 09:11 PM

Well I didn’t have any beer either, but that’s because of the medicines I’m on at the moment.

I’m keeping a list, though, so catch up will be organized. Same with foods; the meds make things “not taste right”, so no brats, or even chips and guacamole.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2021, 09:27 PM

I consider that just “delayed beer”.

The food thing is awful. They gave me ‘roids the first time I ever got laryngitis, which screwed up my blood sugar to the point everything tasted like salt.

I was in the process of lowering the dose when I unrelatedly had a seizure and clocked my head so hard on the way down they put me in a coma for three days.

Coma finally got me to shut the hell up long enough my laryngitis was cured.

When I came down with laryngitis a bunch of years later I was like “crap… the only guaranteed cure is a massive concussion”.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2021, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Well I didn’t have any beer either, but that’s because of the medicines I’m on at the moment.

I’m keeping a list, though, so catch up will be organized. Same with foods; the meds make things “not taste right”, so no brats, or even chips and guacamole.
My sense of smell is different post-covid. I had to change shampoo/body wash as the smell of my body wash became completely unpalatable, though I'd been using that same scent for a couple years now.

I did make guac on Sunday, from a recipe from Boudro's in San Antonio. Best guac I've ever had, always a crowd pleaser.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 22, 2021, 10:24 AM

It’s hard to do guacamole badly, if you try just a little. My wife learned from a neighbor when we lived in Austin. Norma was from Brownsville, and stuff like guacamole was just “normal food,” but in the 1980s, it was like the world was discovering it.

Same with fajitas; that was “poor folks food,” because skirt steak, a very cheap cut of meat, is so tough you MUST marinate it to be able to eat it. Norma laughed a LOT at how the fancy hotel restaurants downtown were charging gourmet prices for fajitas.

Today it’s almost impossible to get “real” fajitas at a restaurant. They usually start with “good” cuts of meat, then spice it, rather than marinating it. And while I do enjoy chicken fajitas, I still haven’t figured out where to find the skirt steak on a chicken.

andi*pandi
Jun 22, 2021, 11:34 AM

beer = superpowered gluten
beer = no bueno

Thorzdad  (op)
Jun 22, 2021, 04:57 PM

I made guac last week. Yum! I rarely get guac, unless it’s at a friend’s home, because the missus can’t stand it. I agree, it’s super easy and uncomplicated. Hard to do wrong. That said, it’s not hard to find “authentic” recipes that use sour cream or mayo, etc. Ugh.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 22, 2021, 05:10 PM

Avocados, onions (finely chopped), maybe diced tomato, maybe peppers (I like mild guacamole, so if we do that it’s bell peppers), garlic and lime juice.

Adding cilantro (maybe), sometimes whole corn, or even some black beans is “maybe” depending on how crazy we’re talking about amounts.

Mayo? Oh NO! On the other hand, I’ve found a couple of recipes that use mashed avocado instead of mayo, like in deviled eggs…. Hard to beat avocado oil for health benefits, too.

Andi, I am SO sorry you have to worry about GI effects of digesting beer. I am 100% on board with Ben Franklin’s assessment of beer…

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2021, 06:44 AM

Cilantro is never an option!!! The more the better for me.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2021, 06:49 AM

You know I came around to Lam’s method a couple years ago—I think I might’ve seen it on Serious Eats or something? I use a glass pan on the bbq and fill it up with beer and onions, maybe some random spices. It works really well and is quicker than the low and slow method.

Thorzdad  (op)
Jun 23, 2021, 08:44 AM

Seems like a waste of good beer, though. And I say good beer because you should never cook with anything you wouldn't drink.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2021, 12:46 PM

Boiling is for wieners!

I do boil onions in beer on the grill, but just make a tinfoil ark for them.

My “ingredient” beer is usually MGD, which hits the sweet spot of something I’d drink, but also something a beer snob would be fine pouring down the drain.

The appearance of guac turns me off so much I never eat it, though it tastes fine. Have a friend who uses some cream cheese, and it’s pretty good. Never done a back-to-back of it without.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2021, 01:05 PM

I disagree with that. I haven’t heard of people using fine alcohol in a cooking dish. Any half-decent drink of the right type will do. No one’s pouring $30 bottles of wine into their pasta.

Having said that, I personally enjoyed and stuck with Negra Modelo, which is solid but not super cheap beer. But it’s not like an extra beer is going to break the bank.

Found a recent Serious Eats article on the method!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2021, 01:08 PM

Boiling is for wieners!
Naw, it works great for sausages.....you’re also doing both boil and grille

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2021, 01:30 PM

I just grab two of these for a few bucks each. One for the pan of brats, one to take pulls off of while grilling.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2021, 03:28 PM

I think it’s possible I’ve never tried High Life. I’ve tried Light (friend used to drink it), and I actually like MGD.

Keystone was our cheap go-to in college.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 23, 2021, 07:59 PM

High Life was the first beer I chose for myself. Smooth, nice highlights, but not too hoppy or too heavy.

I will quibble on “don’t cook with beer you wouldn’t drink”, though. Beer bread is often best with really, really cheap beer. At one point we made it with (reallly!) generic beer - white label and everything. It turned out to be Falstaff when you read the smaller print. Now if you’re working on a “theme,” then beer bread with a dark flour might just benefit from a stout or porter instead of a pilsner. I haven’t tried that, but it may need to be on my list for when I can imbibe…

Forum Links
Forum Rules