Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 2)
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2009, 02:38 PM

It should be noted my buddy demoed WaW and his PS3 for me yesterday and I'd be lying if I said I didn't get the urge to play.

Edit: To clarify, when I said this game, I meant MW2.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 26, 2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post

Edit: To clarify, when I said this game, I meant MW2.
I forget this is the MW2 thread, but i'm using as my COD4 thread.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2009, 02:45 PM

So was I, by posting that link. But I know there's no vehicles in MW. I really want them for 2.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2009, 04:24 AM

Yeah vehicles would be really good, CoD2 missed them in the multi as well. WaW lets you fool around in a tank now and again. Would be nice if there weren't just tanks though.

Hummer with a 50 cal would be nice for MW2.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2009, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
I feared this as being a big letdown for this game when i first started (i usually need vehicles to mix up the multi also) but with 26 hours of multiplayer in (i wish halo had a counter like this), i can say its one of the best (if not the best) multiplayer experiences on this generation of consoles.

Every map (except one) i really enjoy playing, the players usually are decent and the huge variety of game types (HQ is awesome) gives you lots of options (and most have enough players in them for fast matchmaking). The matchmaking system is a close second to halo and the upgrade/ranking system is unmatched (i only wish for a FEW achievements for multiplayer)
lol, another addict. Which map don't you like? I'm not a great fan of Bloc or Creek. Are you doing hardcore? Hardcore team deathmatch is really very different to standard deathmatch. I like HQ sometimes as well, but I really do hate S&D.

I'm on level 51 of Prestige 4 and I think that I'll carry on. Having to redo the achievements seemed like a stupid idea at first but it does provide a challenge. I sort of have more respect for the level 55ers, Prestige 10. It does however seem like a very long way to go though. I probably won't reach it before MW2 comes out.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 27, 2009, 04:45 PM

What weapons/attachments/perks do you all favor? (CoD4 crowd)

My favorite is the M4 w/ Red Dot. Stopping Power, Bandolier & Steady Aim.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 27, 2009, 09:21 PM

M4 Carbine w/ red dot (or the G3)
x3 frags
Stopping Power
Martyrdom

or if i'm using a shotty i switch it up to no radar, Juggernaut,

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2009, 03:51 AM

On standard deathmatch I like a silenced weapon (M4 or M16 or MP5) - then those that rely on the map too much get pwned. Maps for sniping I always use the M40A3 without the ACOG. I usually have bandolier, stopping power and deep impact for the silenced stuff, claymore for the sniper.

On hardcore I really enjoy the G3 with red-dot. I usually have claymores, stopping power and deep impact.

Trying to get through the sniper rifle acheivments atm - I hate the Dragunov !!

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2009, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
On standard deathmatch I like a silenced weapon (M4 or M16 or MP5) - then those that rely on the map too much get pwned. Maps for sniping I always use the M40A3 without the ACOG. I usually have bandolier, stopping power and deep impact for the silenced stuff, claymore for the sniper.

On hardcore I really enjoy the G3 with red-dot. I usually have claymores, stopping power and deep impact.

Trying to get through the sniper rifle acheivments atm - I hate the Dragunov !!
I have all of the golden weapons, which is why I'll probably never prestige.

I noticed you use the ACOG when sniping, is there any particular reason for that? I find it much easier to get head-shots with the standard scope, and the ability to hold your breath (Iron Lungs helps a lot here). I actually prefer the dragnov (maybe because mine is golden) to the 50 cal, I hate the massive kick-back on the 50cal.

My favorite sniping combo is actually the R300 with Overkill, using the M14 (silenced) as the secondary. They use the same ammo, which gives me a ton to snipe with, and I have a nice gun to defend myself in short-range situations.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2009, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I have all of the golden weapons, which is why I'll probably never prestige.

I noticed you use the ACOG when sniping, is there any particular reason for that? I find it much easier to get head-shots with the standard scope, and the ability to hold your breath (Iron Lungs helps a lot here). I actually prefer the dragnov (maybe because mine is golden) to the 50 cal, I hate the massive kick-back on the 50cal.

My favorite sniping combo is actually the R300 with Overkill, using the M14 (silenced) as the secondary. They use the same ammo, which gives me a ton to snipe with, and I have a nice gun to defend myself in short-range situations.
I don't use the ACOG for snipers, you loose precision - you can see the change in the attributes when choosing the weapon. I concur for the 50 cal - useless with that kick. The R700 kicks a bit too much as well. I'm not a great fan of snipers, I only use them to get the points and continue my quest for that golden cross at Prestige 10.

I really don't like the M14, even with red-dot.

Haven't played with teh Xbox for a few days, need to do some Fallout3 !!!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2009, 05:40 PM

Up to 30odd in the latest Prestige level. Playing like a blind, no fingered useless thing ATM though.

One game tonight I got killed over 10 times and only killed one person. And that was with a claymore.

Time for bed me thinks.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2009, 10:02 AM

Gamasutra - News - NPD: Platform-Specific May Charts Exhibit Consumer Trends

If you check out this link, it'll give a breakdown of the top ten selling games of the month per console.
Take note of which CoD is outselling which.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2009, 02:04 PM

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 10:44 AM

I realize this isn't exactly the right thread for this, but Saturday some friends visited and so we were at a buddy's house and we had to play something 4 player. So I dug around and found his copy of CoD4, went home and grabbed my controllers, and we ended up spending over 4 hours just drilling each other over and over in that game. One of the best nights of FPS vs since Perfect Dark, probably (sorry, Halo). Anyway, that was enough to spur me into borrowing it (finally), so I'm going through single player right now.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 10:59 AM

Get on that multi Dakar, you'll love it.

Except for the twats with the modded controllers that is.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 11:52 AM

So apparently they removed (at least mostly) infinite respawn from 2, which is great because I've played 2 or 3 hours of campaign and I'm already sick of it.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2009, 12:36 PM

I realize this isn't exactly the right thread for this, but Saturday some friends visited and so we were at a buddy's house and we had to play something 4 player. So I dug around and found his copy of CoD4, went home and grabbed my controllers, and we ended up spending over 4 hours just drilling each other over and over in that game. One of the best nights of FPS vs since Perfect Dark, probably (sorry, Halo). Anyway, that was enough to spur me into borrowing it (finally), so I'm going through single player right now.
Awesome sauce! the campaign is epic (try and got all those achievies like me...., let me know when your in the "Mile High Club" i'm sure Kcros will chime in and let you know thats one of the hardest achievements around period) but you need to set aside some time and play some multi with me dakar. Now if i could only talk sek into borrowing/renting/buying this game

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 12:38 PM

I said to K last night, I'm ****ing awful at this game, and yes, no one should be surprised.

I died a ton on the very first level (on the second difficulty)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2009, 12:40 PM

I only have one friend with CoD4, and it's the only thing he plays on his 360. So no borrowing for me.

IMHO right now Nazi Zombies is way more fun that deathmatch multi anyways.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I only have one friend with CoD4, and it's the only thing he plays on his 360. So no borrowing for me.

IMHO right now Nazi Zombies is way more fun that deathmatch multi anyways.
excuses excuses, then you need to get Burnout sooner rather than later (i need to pass up crosbie AGAIN in those achievements)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2009, 12:47 PM

Like I said, Boguesy, after Mothership Zeta I'll be the proud papa of Burnout Paradise.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 02:31 PM

I said to K last night, I'm ****ing awful at this game, and yes, no one should be surprised.

I died a ton on the very first level (on the second difficulty)
I have a feeling that this is due to your Halo experience. I found playing Halo really really difficult after becoming so used to CoD. If I can swap from CoD on a PC to CoD on Xbox then anyone should be able to get used to the controls. Duck, sprint, duck, sprint. You must keep moving.

For online multi those that know the maps pwn. I presume that this is the same in Halo.

Good luck in the single player, I only did it when I had no internet, for me CoD is all about online.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 02:38 PM

No, I'm ****ing awful at Halo single-player too.

My skill lies in more GoldenEye / Hitman style games. (At least when facing AI, I pretty much dominated multi Saturday night, a throwback to the GoldenEye days)

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 02:53 PM

excuses excuses, then you need to get Burnout sooner rather than later (i need to pass up crosbie AGAIN in those achievements)
Haw Haw

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2009, 11:14 PM

Dakar, you'll get the hang of it. It comes to ya in good time.

I just noticed they added more achievements for WaW map pack 2. Mostly Nazi Zombie achievements. Damz. I had 1000 pts total on that game.

Bogues, you won't pass me up on Burnout anytime soon. Neither will you Stogie, my bro.

And yes, Bogues is right that the "Mile High Club" is the hardest achievement on that game. It's fun as hell though trying to get it. But Bogues, the absolute hardest achievement is in WaW and that's the "Heart of the Reich" achievement. If anyone else accomplishes that feat, lemmie know how long it took you.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
What weapons/attachments/perks do you all favor? (CoD4 crowd)

My favorite is the M4 w/ Red Dot. Stopping Power, Bandolier & Steady Aim.

These are what I ususally rotate between in CoD4. All set-ups use iron sights:

AK-47
Frag x3
Stopping Power
Steady Aim

AK-47u
same as above

M4 Silenced
Same as the first

MP5 Silenced
Bomb Squad
UAV Jammer
Dead Silence (large maps) Steady Aim (smaller maps)

RPD w/grip
Stopping Power
Extreme Conditioning (large maps) Steady Aim (smaller maps)

For a long time I used a silenced M14 with UAV Jammer and Dead Silence. I took a long break from the game when World at War came out. Now I'm not that great wih the M14. I'm not sure what happened to me...haha!

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2009, 12:15 AM

Dakar want to try and play some multi tomorrow evening? (technically tonight) around 10? i'll show you around the maps, show you some tricks and try and get you up a few levels for some decent weaponry

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2009, 10:34 AM

Yeah, sure. I have like 5 more missions to go, anyway.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2009, 02:54 PM

Question, does this run on dedicated servers? It looks like the answer is yes for PS3, but I can't really find anything either way for the 360.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2009, 02:50 PM

Nice of you to show up last night, Bogues.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2009, 03:11 PM

Its just after 21H00 here in France, anyone who wants a blast at CoD4 or WaW and is prepared to put up with a possible lagger then ping me while on-line. I'll be connecting in about 15 mins.

BTW, I can hear people but the mike is fooked and I've never done co-op in CoD4 so be gentle.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2009, 03:26 PM

sorry buddy, got stuck at work late, had a test this morning.
like the new sig, all COD style

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2009, 03:30 PM

Wanna try for tonight?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2009, 04:14 PM

Terrible cover.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2009, 04:18 PM

Yeah, you too Fatty.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2009, 04:20 PM

So they both did not answer their self-imposed Call of Duty?

Wankers.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2009, 04:24 PM

Sorry, I was at my buddy's house until 2am playing Nazi Zombies on his roommates' 47" TV.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2009, 11:34 AM

Yo, I'd be down tonight if anyone wants to play something.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2009, 12:04 PM

I'll put myself down as likely.

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed about the multiplayer. It's fun, it's challenging, but it's lacking something. Variety and a sense of urgency.

First, the stupid points system for the score needs to go. It seems like an obfuscation just to not list kills straight up (like Halo), but 750 points is 75 kills, right? So its utterly pointless.
Second, you don't really gain anything from winning (or lose anything from losing), so (granted this is like the 5th string of players since the game is nearly 2 years old) there's no real pressure to win, opposed to something like Halo where your rank is on the line.

As far as variety is concerned, perhaps I don't understand the game quite well enough yet, but I basically have 1 all-around class that great for almost every map so the variety comes from those few maps where something else might be a little better.
Also team work feels less prevalent since it rarely takes two people down a person.

The low health also has the side-effect of making your deaths feel like they fall into three categories: Caught unaware, Picked off, or just plain out gunned. In Halo it felt like there was more variety between turrets, stickies, energy swords, rocket launchers, lasers, explosive canisters, and vehicles. In essence there was a chess game of weapon match-ups and player skill. This might also stem from Halo's more straight up approach to player location and level design, where as CoD is more covert.

Still, as much as I can fault the gameplay for feeling repetitive, this game is exactly what I seem to have been searching for since Perfect Dark as far as core gameplay is concerned. The map design is great (I absolutely own on pipeline, for some reason).

I'm just a little irked that after less than a week of multi I feel this way about the game.

PS People are ridiculous with grenades in this game. The killcam has the nice effect of showing you how people seem to constantly hail mary the things into your death half-way across the map.

Edit: What makes the above strangely ironic is that I've spent the past 6 months mostly on Gears of War. Its scoring is fairly straight forward (Rounds won), but the sense of urgency to win somehow there, even though you don't gain anything for winning. I can only assume the staying power is in my love of the gore, the high enemy health (or latency, depending on who your trying to kill), and the achievements yet to be gained.
( Last edited by Dakar V; Jul 10, 2009 at 12:17 PM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2009, 02:05 PM

I'll put myself down as likely.

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed about the multiplayer. It's fun, it's challenging, but it's lacking something. Variety and a sense of urgency.

First, the stupid points system for the score needs to go. It seems like an obfuscation just to not list kills straight up (like Halo), but 750 points is 75 kills, right? So its utterly pointless.
Second, you don't really gain anything from winning (or lose anything from losing), so (granted this is like the 5th string of players since the game is nearly 2 years old) there's no real pressure to win, opposed to something like Halo where your rank is on the line.
But the points are to increase your rank, which in term gives more weapons or functionality or tasks. True, one can build up (slowly) their rank by losing every game, but it better not hearing that you got your arse kicked over and over. There are some achievements for being crap !

As far as variety is concerned, perhaps I don't understand the game quite well enough yet, but I basically have 1 all-around class that great for almost every map so the variety comes from those few maps where something else might be a little better.
Also team work feels less prevalent since it rarely takes two people down a person.
Have you tried other game-types? Standard deathmatch does get pretty boring, try the hardcore stuff. HQ can be fun. When you get a silenced weapon of TDM it really throws some people who get too used to the map.

The low health also has the side-effect of making your deaths feel like they fall into three categories: Caught unaware, Picked off, or just plain out gunned. In Halo it felt like there was more variety between turrets, stickies, energy swords, rocket launchers, lasers, explosive canisters, and vehicles. In essence there was a chess game of weapon match-ups and player skill. This might also stem from Halo's more straight up approach to player location and level design, where as CoD is more covert.

Still, as much as I can fault the gameplay for feeling repetitive, this game is exactly what I seem to have been searching for since Perfect Dark as far as core gameplay is concerned. The map design is great (I absolutely own on pipeline, for some reason).
It is repetitive that's true, but for someone like me, it itches that scratch. As much as I know the maps and as many times as I've died, I just can't stop playing. Not sure I know what you mean by "Halo's more straight up approach to player location and level design".

I can pwn on any map, but then the next round on it I get pwned. Dunno what sorts of matches you get, but recently everyone seems to skate around the map in my games.

I'm just a little irked that after less than a week of multi I feel this way about the game.

PS People are ridiculous with grenades in this game. The killcam has the nice effect of showing you how people seem to constantly hail mary the things into your death half-way across the map.
There are some real pro nade throwers. I always hang back at the beginning of a game to avoid getting killed.

Edit: What makes the above strangely ironic is that I've spent the past 6 months mostly on Gears of War. Its scoring is fairly straight forward (Rounds won), but the sense of urgency to win somehow there, even though you don't gain anything for winning. I can only assume the staying power is in my love of the gore, the high enemy health (or latency, depending on who your trying to kill), and the achievements yet to be gained.
Everything is focused towards ranking up your Prestige level. Stay alive a long time in a game and your bonus points go up alot. Do the hardcore games and you double your points. In hardcore the players communicate more (and better) telling their team where the enemy is. I also love the collective "Ah f**k" when a match is lost by 10 or 20 points.

IMHO, what CoD4 needs is more maps and using vehicles. We had vehicles in CoD UO but not in CoD2, I was hoping that they'd bring it back for CoD4. Hopefully MW2 will rectify this. A couple of new maps every two months would be good as well.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2009, 02:29 PM

But the points are to increase your rank, which in term gives more weapons or functionality or tasks. True, one can build up (slowly) their rank by losing every game, but it better not hearing that you got your arse kicked over and over. There are some achievements for being crap !
There's no reason the XP has to be represented in the score. And I believe the term you're looking for isn't achievements, but challenges.

It is repetitive that's true, but for someone like me, it itches that scratch. As much as I know the maps and as many times as I've died, I just can't stop playing. Not sure I know what you mean by "Halo's more straight up approach to player location and level design".
Longer sight lines, players contrast greatly against their surroundings, enemies are easier to locate at all times.

I think it may be that Halo lends itself to some grandiose battles you're just never going to see in CoD. A movie vs reality divide, perhaps.

There are some real pro nade throwers. I always hang back at the beginning of a game to avoid getting killed.
It hasn't been an issue at the beginning of the match, just during.

Everything is focused towards ranking up your Prestige level. Stay alive a long time in a game and your bonus points go up alot. Do the hardcore games and you double your points. In hardcore the players communicate more (and better) telling their team where the enemy is. I also love the collective "Ah f**k" when a match is lost by 10 or 20 points.
Part of the problem is I could give a **** about prestige.

Maybe this is where those online achievements we were discussing in another thread come in handy.

Or maybe its the lack being able to relive great moments in theatre and check match, personal, and friend stats online is killing the fun. That's probably my biggest request with MW2 – have stuff as trackable online.

IMHO, what CoD4 needs is more maps and using vehicles. We had vehicles in CoD UO but not in CoD2, I was hoping that they'd bring it back for CoD4. Hopefully MW2 will rectify this. A couple of new maps every two months would be good as well.
Yes, I'm feeling the map cycle at only 8 or 10 or so.

Infiinity Ward doesn't seem to like vehicles. Good luck.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2009, 08:13 PM

Looks like someone started there Veteran campaign... good work.
Most of it isn't too bad but a few spots are tricky.

EDIT: I'm shocked you didn't get your "save the farmer" or "down boy down" achievements your first run

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 03:28 PM

Tell everyone how awesome I am, kb.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2009, 11:41 PM

I'm mad i got disconnected that night, you were playing shockingly good.

I was really surprised how well you played for only having the game in/around a week. We need to meet up again soon and play.
I have no doubts that with some of the better weapons/perks you could be better than me

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2009, 10:22 AM

I'm mad i got disconnected that night, you were playing shockingly good.
I know your mic wasn't plugged in, but it happened moments after I announced "This is my last game."

I was really surprised how well you played for only having the game in/around a week. We need to meet up again soon and play.
I have no doubts that with some of the better weapons/perks you could be better than me
Someone forgets I was a 35 in Halo.

I'm not sure how much room for improvement there is for me due to weapons and perks. I pretty much have everything I want, outside of the Deagle and maybe 3x frags, neither of which will see time in my common classes. Its just tweaking and experience from here on out.

Oh, and sek, if you're reading this, you'll love this game on the snipering alone. Much better than Halo. (The one big advantage of the lack of sight-lines or visibility)

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2009, 10:35 AM

Modern Warfare 2: Prestige Edition includes working night vision goggles, original Call of Duty for PSN/XBLA

Infinity Ward community manager Robert Bowling has made a YouTube video of himself unboxing the absolutely epic "prestige edition" of Modern Warfare 2 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. When we say "epic," we're talking "it includes working night vision goggles" epic. Also in the box is a voucher code for downloading the previously rumored PSN/XBLA version of the original Call of Duty. This plus a steel game case, art book and a custom molded plastic head for displaying your working night vision goggles on.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2009, 11:24 AM

Infinity Ward Talks Modern Warfare 2, 43 Stories Up - Modern warfare 2 - Kotaku

Absent from that level — and from the game — are the infinite enemy spawn points that were criticized in Modern Warfare. Bowling said the new game's enemies have "dynamic AI," meaning that they are designed to act more independently of what the designers map out. He said a player could expect them to be more sensitive to gamer behavior, going beyond the flanking and cover strategies of the enemies in the first game to break their patrol routes, or take to roofs. They're smarter. And they will adapt enough that a Modern Warfare 2 player won't be able to rely on the enemies being in the same places and doing the same things each time they play a level.
Even more tantalizing was talk of the mysterious Special Ops mode, a batch of co-op missions that will last as long as the game's single-player campaign.
Great news.

Edit:
An Activision rep in attendance confirmed that there are no plans for MW2 to come to Nintendo's system.
BWAHAHAHA

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2009, 02:31 PM

Great news.

BWAHAHAHA
But, but I don't understand. Isn't it the greatest, most low-calorie-bestest-whiter-than-white-console of all time ??????? How could they NOT develop for it? Are they mad ??

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2009, 04:10 PM

Great news.
Hell yes that is. Infinite spawn points and nade spamming from the AI made WaW seriously difficult and frustrating. I'll say it again, if you can get the "Heart of the Reich" achievement in WaW, props to you because this is the issue that made this achievement seriously tough!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2009, 11:11 AM

When this game shows you the killcam, will it show you your lag?

What I mean is, several times when I die lets say I got two bursts off, one simultaneous with when they started firing and one as I die, when I see the killcam replay, it will look like I started firing after they did, and there was no second burst.

If so, again, props to Halo, as their CSHD beats out every other game out there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules