Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod nano

iPod nano (Page 3)
MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 06:33 PM

There's a couple of weird design things on it that i guess they had to do to make room... for instance, the dock connector has been shoved over to one side and the headphone jack is on, of all places, the bottom. I guess it's not a huge deal, but it seems strange. Also, no remote connector. The remotes themselves weren't a huge seller, but lots of accessories use that connector for power... owners of an iTrip or AirPlay will be out of luck with the Nano.

Otherwise, it looks pretty sweet. can't wait to see just how tiny it is in person. i remember, when the mini came out, being amazed at how small that was. and this is 62% smaller than the mini!

"I start fires!"

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2005, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
I think so. Those 'lanyard' headphones look pretty sweet. I like the design.
I would love those for my shuffle at the gym. But I'm stuck on wanting to get some Etymotic 6i .
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

schalliol
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 06:39 PM

Perhaps, but now they have the thin cases that go on it in multi-colors.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

drainyoo
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by schalliol
Perhaps, but now they have the thin cases that go on it in multi-colors.
Exactly. No need for colored Nanos.

MAN I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
i hate project managers.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2005, 06:40 PM

I already ordered a black 4Gb nano, and then someone goes and tells me it's USB 2.0 only...so I'd be really interested to hear how people are confirming that Firewire is NOT supported at all. Bummer if it's true!!!
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

schalliol
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 06:45 PM

Well, check the techspec page I noted. It doesn't look like FW is supported, but perhaps it is.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

drainyoo
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Phat Bastard
I already ordered a black 4Gb nano, and then someone goes and tells me it's USB 2.0 only...so I'd be really interested to hear how people are confirming that Firewire is NOT supported at all. Bummer if it's true!!!
It isnt. This is from the Apple site.

Connectivity - USB through Dock connector

I would have prefered Firewire but Im not complaining!
i hate project managers.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2005, 06:48 PM

Why does apple never fail to impress me with their new product launches? The iPod nano is great! This gives me hope that the time they're taking on the new powerbooks will produce something great as well. I do hope that if they do the PBs in black they also give another choice because I prefer the white/silver over black.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 06:49 PM

Also say hello to:

_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 06:49 PM

The question is whether that's true with what they provide, vs. if you used another cable.

gkorsgard
Sep 7, 2005, 06:53 PM

I went across the street to my Apple store here in Houston. They told me they will "likely" get a shipment tomorrow morning.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 06:55 PM

when did that come out?

"I start fires!"

schalliol
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 06:57 PM

The question is whether that's true with what they provide, vs. if you used another cable.

inkhead
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 07:03 PM

Brian:

It was put on the bottom on purpose. Think about how you put it in your pocket. ;-) Once again it shows attention to detail.

Originally Posted by bryoung
Its Out...

One thing I don't like is the headphone jack in on the bottom next to the dock connector.
I'm not complaining...I'm going to buy the black one asap.

Brian.

Is the black a hint at the color of the new powerbooks?

inkhead
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 07:08 PM

I don't mean to be rude, but if you don't have USB 2 on your computer you can buy a $10 USB 2.0 card from any electronics store (Belkin brand or just about any generic).

If you have a laptop that can't be upgraded then I think you shouldn't be using $250 towards an iPod rather you should spend $250 towards a computer that's less than 5 years old ;-)

Originally Posted by Phat Bastard

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2005, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
Brian:

It was put on the bottom on purpose. Think about how you put it in your pocket. ;-) Once again it shows attention to detail.
Why couldn't you put it into your pocket face up? I also prefer the jack at the top, makes it easier to jog with, but it's not a deal breaker.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

inkhead
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 07:09 PM

Okay so does anyone have their hands on one? I just ordered. I wonder if the flash drive will be formated similar to the iPod Shuffle (in PC format with 8 character limit). If not will I be able to boot off this device? I think I could install OS X on 4GB.

tomasboudr
Sep 7, 2005, 07:12 PM

anyone think it will fit in one of those flipping magic wallets like they sell in j. crew with the criss crossing straps? then I wouldn't even notice I'm carrying it and the wallet would double as a protective case
Old Skool ~ 3rd Gen iPod
New Skool ~ White MacBook 2Ghz

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by slffl
Why couldn't you put it into your pocket face up? I also prefer the jack at the top, makes it easier to jog with, but it's not a deal breaker.
You can, but then the controls would be reversed.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2005, 07:17 PM

I like it but it may be too small to handle in my hand given that the scroll wheel is situated so low on the device. Plus I bet it snaps like a twig if someone has it in a pocket and sits on it by accident.
I do think it was a mistake to lose the metallic finish like on the Mini's

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 07:32 PM

First things first: I liked the iPod mini, its colors and its metallic finish.

Shame to see it gone from the lineup.

However, from what I see from the iPod nano, this thing is a *must have*. I want one now. Boy oh boy, a (white) 4 gig nano is just the gadget I've been waiting for!!¡

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2005, 07:35 PM

im definitely getting one of these soon.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2005, 07:45 PM

one thing i'd like to see...
being able to reverse the software, so for the black nano (actually, for either one), you could have white text on a black background.

that would be pretty amazing...
Sounds like it has this feature:

http://engadget.com/entry/1234000153057792/

...and includes a few new niceties such as a nighttime inverse screen mode.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2005, 07:58 PM

I don't mean to be rude, but if you don't have USB 2 on your computer you can buy a $10 USB 2.0 card from any electronics store (Belkin brand or just about any generic).

If you have a laptop that can't be upgraded then I think you shouldn't be using $250 towards an iPod rather you should spend $250 towards a computer that's less than 5 years old ;-)
Like my two year old iBook that has USB 1.1?
Nemo me impune lacesset

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2005, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Sounds like it has this feature:
i just watched the keynote speech and i don't think that is what steve meant about nighttime reverse.

i could be wrong, but i think he meant that the analog world clocks inverted from white to black when that timezone is night time.

i didn't hear anything about the screen reversing.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2005, 08:17 PM

Well I can't find anything about it on Apple's page, so I wouldn't be surprised if Engadget just got the night clock mode confused with inverse display mode.

inkhead
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 08:20 PM

The jack should be on the bottom, it's nice for putting it in your pocket.

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
There's a couple of weird design things on it that i guess they had to do to make room... for instance, the dock connector has been shoved over to one side and the headphone jack is on, of all places, the bottom. I guess it's not a huge deal, but it seems strange. Also, no remote connector. The remotes themselves weren't a huge seller, but lots of accessories use that connector for power... owners of an iTrip or AirPlay will be out of luck with the Nano.

Otherwise, it looks pretty sweet. can't wait to see just how tiny it is in person. i remember, when the mini came out, being amazed at how small that was. and this is 62% smaller than the mini!

inkhead
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 08:22 PM

Did anyone see this on the iPod Nano page:

Upgradable firmware enables support for future audio formats

What's format is next ;-)

inkhead
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 08:23 PM

Yes exactly. That's a $900 computer. The iPod costs $250. Get a new computer.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2005, 08:29 PM

Just one glance at the design tells you that the stereo jack had to go at the bottom because it would not fit behind the screen. The device is very slim and the thickness of the LCD panel means that the jack would not have room on top.

spencers
Sep 7, 2005, 08:32 PM

I too wonder if the black ipod nano is suggesting something about the future powerbooks.

dashiel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2005, 08:33 PM

usb 2.0 is backwards compatible with usb 1.1. you just won't get fast transfer speeds.

zzarg
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2005, 08:34 PM

1/ So apple sticks two fingers up to the Shuffle users
2/ But still no Bluetooth for headphone connection.

Given the capacity and capability (and that it's so much better than a ROKR !) I might wait for a Nokia N9x handset and get it all in one (or a Samsung D500)

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2005, 08:38 PM

Nice nano. I’ll have to wait till the price falls slightly. Madonna is cool. I wonder if this is the right time for spurious product launches. Oh, of course: XMas coming up.

theTechyDork
Sep 7, 2005, 09:00 PM

The classic white color is my favorite, but I will definitely be getting a 2GB Nano White to go along with my 6GB Mini. I'll bring the Nano to school and exercise or on vacations bring the Mini for music and carry photos on the Nano. I love it. It's so sleek...
MacBook White 2GHz 2GB 80GB | iPod 30GB White 5G | Powershot SD700 IS
www.alwaysg5.com - my blog, a female mac & ipod fan.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 09:24 PM

IMG this thing is perfect except for the fact that it doesn't sync over Firewire. I mean why the hell not?!
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 09:44 PM

someone post here a.s.a.p. when they find out if this thing can be connected using a firewire cord from an older model. i remember the debate when apple stopped shipping firewire cords with iPods, and back then you were supposed to be able to buy one separately. i would think that is still the case.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 09:52 PM

They allow you to buy the Firewire sync cable when you order it, not sure why they'd do it if you couldn't sync over Firewire...

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob
They allow you to buy the Firewire sync cable when you order it, not sure why they'd do it if you couldn't sync over Firewire...
"The nano can be synced to a Mac or PC by a USB 2.0 connection only, although you can charge it over a FireWire connection. (At this point I’m not sure what this means for booting from the device.)"

http://playlistmag.com/features/2005...irst/index.php

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2005, 10:13 PM

It has a dock connector. Odds are it'll work with any cable that has a dock connector. It just won't come with it in the box.

That said... honestly while I want one of these and all, especially with the lanyard + headphone combo (much more elegant in my thinking than the shuffle) I gota say... I miss the mini, I would have sooner seen all the iPods head for the look of the mini over the standard. Oh well.

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2005, 10:34 PM

i think the bottom is meant to be that way. most people buy the smaller ipods for workout purposes. the neck thing is at the bottom as well as the headphones that way it doesnt look funny when you pull it up to look at the song. i think its a good idea.

dootbran
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2005, 11:33 PM

Yes exactly. That's a $900 computer. The iPod costs $250. Get a new computer.
You're just aching to make friends aren't you...

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2005, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
I bet everyone who bought a shuffle feels like a total tool now.

Nope. I needed a fairly large thumb drive and got the 1GB model when it first came out. I suppose I'll get a nano when I fill up the music section of my shuffle and use it strictly as a thumb drive after that, but I've had a lot of fun with it already. I have no problem with newer, cooler gadgets replacing my older stuff, but I admit I would have been a bit disappointed if I'd just bought the shuffle.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 11:51 PM

iPod Mini - Rest in peace?
Firewire - Rest in peace?
I hope not....

I was hoping for a 6GB or 8GB model with the color screen and photo capabilities.

Maybe the September 20th announcement will have something else? It doesn't look like it with the current pricing structure as it is:

iPod nano 2GB $199
iPod nano 4GB $249
iPod 20GB $299

I wouldn't know where to squeeze an new iPod mini 6GB and 8GB configuration.

I would've thought that the shuffle would've been eliminated instead of the minis.

I guess I can live with my USB1.1 connection on my two year old 12" PowerBook. Syncing the first time around will take awhile but I guess subsequent syncs won't take as long.

Hitachi has developed 8GB and 10GB Microdrives. I'm hoping to see the iPod mini return. As much as I like the nano, I thought it should've replaced the shuffle instead of the mini.

http://www.betanews.com/article/8GB_...oon/1118249062
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000347026121/

I'd love to grab an 8GB or 10GB iPod Mini with photo capabilities. It would definitely fit my personal iPod habits a lot more than the 4GB nanos.

The engadget report was posted January 5, 2005 so it should be in the factory lines by now.

Interestingly, there is no remote control port so you can't slap on any device that draws power from the iPod (FM transmitters, remote controls, etc.) and you can't view photos via the TV out. I like using my 20GB iPod for presentations instead of lugging my laptop nowadays.
( Last edited by wilsonng; Sep 8, 2005 at 12:12 AM. )

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2005, 12:03 AM

I for one am disappointed. Had they introduced an 8 GB iPod Mini with a colour screen like I expected, I would have gone out and bought one next week.

Instead, we get the iPod Reduced with no Firewire syncing (bleh) and no camera-syncing support. What's the point? I can't afford an iPod, so I guess Apple won't be getting any of my cash.

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2005, 12:15 AM

If nano replaced the shuffle, the cheapest member of the iPod family would be $200... I think that would alienate a lot of customers...

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2005, 12:39 AM

I'm curious about the transfer speeds of the iPod Nano. Flash based players are S-L-O-W when compared to their hard drive based counterparts. Even at 1GB, my iPod shuffle pales in comparison to my 15gb 3G iPod in terms of speed.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2005, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rev2Liv
I'm curious about the transfer speeds of the iPod Nano. Flash based players are S-L-O-W when compared to their hard drive based counterparts. Even at 1GB, my iPod shuffle pales in comparison to my 15gb 3G iPod in terms of speed.
Maccentral said it was faster than the Mini.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Sep 8, 2005, 01:00 AM

My guess is we will see a 6gb and maybe 8gb version just after the holidays at MWSF.

Oh, and the webcast is up

http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

volcano
Senior User
Sep 8, 2005, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by wilsonng
iPod Mini - Rest in peace?
Firewire - Rest in peace?
I hope not....

I was hoping for a 6GB or 8GB model with the color screen and photo capabilities.

Maybe the September 20th announcement will have something else? It doesn't look like it with the current pricing structure as it is:

iPod nano 2GB $199
iPod nano 4GB $249
iPod 20GB $299

I wouldn't know where to squeeze an new iPod mini 6GB and 8GB configuration.

I would've thought that the shuffle would've been eliminated instead of the minis.

I guess I can live with my USB1.1 connection on my two year old 12" PowerBook. Syncing the first time around will take awhile but I guess subsequent syncs won't take as long.

Hitachi has developed 8GB and 10GB Microdrives. I'm hoping to see the iPod mini return. As much as I like the nano, I thought it should've replaced the shuffle instead of the mini.

http://www.betanews.com/article/8GB_...oon/1118249062
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000347026121/

I'd love to grab an 8GB or 10GB iPod Mini with photo capabilities. It would definitely fit my personal iPod habits a lot more than the 4GB nanos.

The engadget report was posted January 5, 2005 so it should be in the factory lines by now.

Interestingly, there is no remote control port so you can't slap on any device that draws power from the iPod (FM transmitters, remote controls, etc.) and you can't view photos via the TV out. I like using my 20GB iPod for presentations instead of lugging my laptop nowadays.
It makes more sense to me that they decided to kill the mini line of iPods rather than the shuffle line. Why? The iPod mini was introduced in January 2004, nearly 2 years ago - while the shuffle was only introduced in January of this year. It wouldn't make sense to completely get rid of a line of popular products after being introduced a mere 8/9 months ago.

There is still a market for the shuffle, regardless. The low price will still attract most out there who want an iPod but can't quite afford the larger one yet.

After thinking it over a while, I now realize that there is little chance for a iPod to fill the void between the Nano and the full size iPod. The size (in regards to song capacity and physical size) between the two is vastly different, but the price points are nearly identical. With that said, I have little hope of seeing a 8 or 10GB iPod mini-variation with a color screen, which I too was looking forward to. Simply put: you pay the premium for the miniscule size of the Nano.

But in the end, I still want a black Nano.

Forum Links
Forum Rules