Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Urinals

Urinals
Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2007, 01:09 AM

Fellas, help me settle this weird argument with some mates:

Your in the men's toilet and its got one of those metal urinal walls, with the metal grate along the bottom to stand on.

Do you

A: Stand on it?
or
B: Stand on the floor in front of it?

I was always of the opinion you should stand on it, that way any drips go thruogh the grate and into the urinal instead of on the floor, while a mate of mine thinks you don't stand on it at all, but piss across it onto the wall and floor be damned.

MM-o4
Senior User
Apr 27, 2007, 01:21 AM

hahaha, your wearing shoes right.
stand on it. the grate is there for drips.
only tools stand on the floor.

-MM-

Brass
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2007, 01:31 AM

I often walk about bare foot in which case, I stand well back (or use a stall). However, when wearing shoes, I stand on the grate, as that's what it's for.

Spook E  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2007, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
I often walk about bare foot in which case, I stand well back (or use a stall). However, when wearing shoes, I stand on the grate, as that's what it's for.
Mate, bare feet in the public toilet! Have had to do it a few times in the past, seedy as! What part of Tassie are you in? I'm in Launnie (at work at the mo).

zro
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2007, 04:03 AM

Metal grate?? Here in the first world we have glazed ceramic tile to stand on.

With shoes, mind you.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2007, 06:13 AM

Definitely stand on it. Your mates a tool.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2007, 12:20 PM

With shoes, stand on it...definitely.

Is anyone else here ever forced to hold it for an uncomfortable amount of time because you don't want to use a public restroom while wearing sandals? Especially if it's a room with a lot of traffic, and it's very likely that someone will be urinating next to you (and we know the divider does not keep all splashes from hitting your feet).

This is why I'd never wear sandals when going to a baseball game or anything similar.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2007, 01:12 PM

I've never ever seen one of these "grate" urinals, so I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2007, 01:18 PM

Not familiar with the "grate" style urinal walls either... however I've been to some large stadiums that have simple tile walls with a small trough at the bottom. I generally don't use those (or most urinals) cuz it always seems there's too much splash and misdirected spraying going on. I'll still to the stalls if I can.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2007, 01:31 PM

Only urinals I've seen are the ceramic ones that catch the drips for you

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2007, 01:35 PM

Like this?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2007, 01:53 PM

Point made by Dane Cook: Why are public restrooms so wet? Everything is ALWAYS wet. When I heard him say that, I paused the CD and laughed forever.

That was relevant because...I have trouble standing close to urinals. There is a lot of "wetness" down there, and I'm sure that most of it is someone else's urine. I don't see the grating system in that picture being much more sanitary.

I prefer to pee behind a bush somewhere.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2007, 01:57 PM

I have never seen one of those before. Is it some sort of Euro thing?

I would stand on the floor if I saw one. I would think that you would get pee all over the bottom of your shoes if you stood on one... and who wants peepee shoes?

It looks like that dude is standing IN the urinal which is gross.
( Last edited by ort888; Apr 27, 2007 at 02:09 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2007, 01:58 PM

It looks like the pee would splatter back on your legs after hitting that flat metal wall.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Like this?
This doesn't look like anything I'd want to piss in.

Rumor
Apr 27, 2007, 07:08 PM

Here's a public urinal in Northern California.

( Last edited by Rumor; Apr 27, 2007 at 07:52 PM. )
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2007, 07:41 PM

I've never seen one of those either in the U. S. It looks to me that, if you stand on it, the probability of it splashing back would get your shoes and pants wet. Gross! I try very hard not to use public restrooms.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Spook E  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2007, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
This doesn't look like anything I'd want to piss in.
Don't know if its a Euro thing, but it's definitelly an Aussie thing, those 'piss walls' would make up 95% of the public toilets here, we also have those weird one person urinals on the wall, but i only really see those in toilets with limited space, like at a McDonalds or KFC.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2007, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Spook E View Post
Don't know if its a Euro thing, but it's definitelly an Aussie thing, those 'piss walls' would make up 95% of the public toilets here, we also have those weird one person urinals on the wall, but i only really see those in toilets with limited space, like at a McDonalds or KFC.
Weird one person urinals? lol that is the only kind we have in the USA. Much better than peeing on your shoes (or the shoes of the guy next to you). You people have strange bathrooms.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2007, 11:18 PM

Uhm... you're not peeing on your shoes... you're peeing on the wall. A lot less mess that way.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 27, 2007, 11:23 PM

I have never seen one like that, so I'd probably go pee on a tree.

zro
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 12:00 AM

You can still find a trough once in a while in the US.

I've wanted a wall hung urinal at home for a long time. Would beat letting it mellow.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Uhm... you're not peeing on your shoes... you're peeing on the wall. A lot less mess that way.
I am pretty sure a bunch of people have said in this thread that it splashes on your feet (and the guy's foot that is standing next to you). I vote for the tree thing. In the philippines they just pee on the walls (without the gutter) so I guess it is a little better.

This is from the philippines... it says (roughly) "It is forbidden to pee here and over there". They have these all over a lot of buildings because people go pee about anywhere. Some places have specific walls that you are allowed to pee on and those ones just say "Umihi dito" (which means "pee here").

Atomic Rooster
Apr 28, 2007, 06:43 PM

What third world country uses these kinds of "urinal walls"?

Uganda? Haiti?

Anyways, I'd stand back and have a pissing contest.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2007, 07:47 PM

Peeing all over a nice campfire is more fun that I care to admit.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 28, 2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Peeing all over a nice campfire is more fun that I care to admit.
Except when you get stage fright, that's just embarrassing.

memory-minus
Senior User
Apr 28, 2007, 10:21 PM

Like this?
I've never seen one of these style urinals before, however, if I had come across it before seeing it here, I'd stand on the floor to use it. Although this design seems to be asking for trouble with splashback no matter what, especially during high traffic times. Around where I live most places have the trough style urinals -- for when you absolutely, positively need to move 5,000 guys through the restroom during a 15 minute intermission.

Spook E  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2007, 06:43 AM

So this isn't as clear cut as us Aussies thought then!

So given that all you americans use those wall hanging individual urinals (presumably) with dividers, how would you go with stage fright if you came down under and had to use our piss walls?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 29, 2007, 08:51 AM

I wouldn't call the single-person urinals "weird." Frankly, peeing is a solitary practice for me, and I have no desire to make it a community activity. I've been to places here in Texas where the urinal is a large metal trough (sometimes with a grate in it about half way up) with a drain at one end and a faucet above the other. This sort of disorients me because there are these Man Rules about where to stand in a public rest room, and the community urinal/trough is not separated at all-how do you decide where to stand, particularly when there are already three guys there? (Especially when two of them have just finished a "how many beers can I drink before I have to stop and relieve myself?" contest!) Yes, in those situations i use the stall.

I have also noted that men's rooms tend to be too damp, particularly around where we're supposed to urinate. It MUST be because a lot of men just don't care to aim at all and manage to moisten the whole area. I think it's worse when such people use a commode to urinate in, because not only do the floor and bowl get hosed, but so does the seat-from the underside. YUCK! You'd think people could be just a little neater and more conscientious about their actions and how they affect other people...

But I've never had "stage fright," even when having to "produce" for an observed urine test. I just don't feel comfortable shoulder to shoulder to another guy with my equipment deployed. "That's not my bag, baby."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2007, 11:39 AM

Like this?
This is the way I would do it...

I would step about 2 feet further to the right (of that guy), and I would aim diagonally to the left. That way, no splash back, and no pee on the feet. Problem solved.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2007, 12:12 PM

That pisser wall is bullshit.
ice

Brass
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2007, 12:20 AM

Mate, bare feet in the public toilet! Have had to do it a few times in the past, seedy as! What part of Tassie are you in? I'm in Launnie (at work at the mo).
Yup, I'm in Lonny too (working too, unfortunately).

Nothing better than the stainless steel wall of wee for starting up inane conversations with drunk people at night clubs. It's a bit of a men-only social gathering spot.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2007, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Nothing better than the stainless steel wall of wee for starting up inane conversations with drunk people at night clubs. It's a bit of a men-only social gathering spot.

No thanks on dudes talkin to me when I'm pissin'. I tell 'em to piss off. Especially if I'm pissed. If they carry on talkin' I'll eventually get pissed.
ice

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2007, 03:10 AM

They're just trying to distract you so they can sneak-a-peek

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2007, 03:15 AM

Worse than the traditional trough is the circular one, where - if you're not staring down - you're looking straight on at another dude's business. I'll take the "weird," one person urinals anyday.

Sort of related confession: I have no idea what to do with a bidet. Saw one recently at an upscale model home and realized I wouldn't even know where to stand / what to do. I'm so uncivilized, I guess.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 30, 2007, 03:25 AM

I do like trough urinals when they're filled with ice. It gives the room a nice cool feeling, and it's really fun to piss hot urine all over ice cubes. You can cut through them like a laser! It's the best!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2007, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I do like trough urinals when they're filled with ice. It gives the room a nice cool feeling, and it's really fun to piss hot urine all over ice cubes. You can cut through them like a laser! It's the best!
That would be awesome!
Signature depreciated.

Kevin
Baninated
May 1, 2007, 07:13 AM

Yeah I can't see me peeing against the wall like urinal. I mean I am sure I am sure I could do it.

With waders on.

Later I could go brown trout fishing.

Brass
Professional Poster
May 1, 2007, 09:45 PM

some of you guys seem really insecure about taking a slash next to another guy

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2007, 10:12 PM

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2007, 10:47 PM

Like this?
This is the way I would do it...

I would step about 2 feet further to the right (of that guy), and I would aim diagonally to the left. That way, no splash back, and no pee on the feet. Problem solved.
And the guy would be wondering why you didn't pee at the other end of the urinal and why you're flashing him your dick. In Oz this will get you either a) beaten to a pulp, or b) a date.

Anything less than three feet of space in either direction and I'm using a stall.

Meet The Feebles has a memorable scene with an elephant and a few poodles at the urinal - talk about splashback!

"Thorry!"

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2007, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
And the guy would be wondering why you didn't pee at the other end of the urinal and why you're flashing him your dick. In Oz this will get you either a) beaten to a pulp, or b) a date.
Noooo, no, no...

I would be peeing to the LEFT, not to the RIGHT. And no one will be on the left. If they were, I would be in a stall.

Actually, come to think of it...if I walked into a bathroom and saw one of those things, I would head to the stall immediately.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2007, 11:15 PM

Pussy.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2007, 11:20 PM

Fellas, help me settle this weird argument with some mates:

Your in the men's toilet and its got one of those metal urinal walls, with the metal grate along the bottom to stand on.

Do you

A: Stand on it?
or
B: Stand on the floor in front of it?

I was always of the opinion you should stand on it, that way any drips go thruogh the grate and into the urinal instead of on the floor, while a mate of mine thinks you don't stand on it at all, but piss across it onto the wall and floor be damned.
Still trying to picture what the heck your'e talking about.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2007, 12:05 AM

Can you not see the picture in this thread?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2007, 12:13 AM

Noooo, no, no...

I would be peeing to the LEFT, not to the RIGHT. And no one will be on the left. If they were, I would be in a stall.
If you're standing to the right of the guy and peeing to the left, you're showing him your package (unless you have some weird deformity).

Originally Posted by houstonmacbro View Post
Still trying to picture what the heck your'e talking about.
Some urinals have a metal grid instead of a solid step. That way any splashback goes through the grid and back into the trough, rather than on the step. It's like the skywalk at the grand canyon, only with piss.

Pro-user tip: Piss furthest away from the drain hole. Otherwise everyone else's piss is flowing past you.
( Last edited by Face Ache; May 2, 2007 at 12:46 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
If you're standing to the right of the guy and peeing to the left, you're showing him your package (unless you have some weird deformity).
Let us imagine for a moment that the guy in the picture IS NOT THERE, BUT IT IS ME INSTEAD.

Guess I should've made that clear.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2007, 12:46 AM

Ah, okay. Now you're not pissing on his feet.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2007, 01:03 AM

You know, this subject really stinks.

Atomic Rooster
May 2, 2007, 01:05 AM

In my life I have pissed in many strange places. Someday I will write a book. One of those big coffee table books with nice glossy pics with just the right amount of lens flare.

Forum Links
Forum Rules