Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Decent Pinstripe Theme for Tiger - Where Can I Get One?

Decent Pinstripe Theme for Tiger - Where Can I Get One?
Koralatov
Senior User
Nov 18, 2007, 01:32 PM

I'm currently typing this on a Cube with a 22" ADC Studio Display running, and brushed metal bothers me. Iridium is better, but still not ideal. What I'd really like is something similar to the look of OSX 10.0, but a bit less gaudy. More in line with the restrained pinstripes found under Tiger when a Finder window is in the background.

Anyone know of a good one? Googling "osx pinstripe theme" and "pinstripe mac theme" came up empty. It's not really a major issue, but I would like something pinstriped to complement the pinstriping on the screen. Ideally, I'd like something that doesn't require APE...

SpaceCat85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2007, 06:13 PM

Aqua Extreme at Max Themes (only works up through 10.4.5 ) might be what you're looking for, but you'll probably have to look through the mod forum at MacThemes to find a more current pinstriped theme.

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Nov 19, 2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceCat85 View Post
Aqua Extreme at Max Themes (only works up through 10.4.5 ) might be what you're looking for, but you'll probably have to look through the mod forum at MacThemes to find a more current pinstriped theme.
Thanks for the pointer. Aqua Extreme actually does work with 10.4.11, but sadly doesn't give me the pin-striping I'm after. I'm on Uno just now, and it's rather good, despite the lack of pin-striping.

If 10.4 wasn't on its way out (and I wasn't going to upgrade my Cube then stick Leopard on it), I'd actually make myself a theme that fits my requirements. Seeing as it wouldn't work under Leopard, it's probably not worth the effort, sadly.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 20, 2007, 07:10 AM

Ahem, all 10.4 Extras.rsrc work with 10.5. How do I know this? I tried. I stuck Smooth Stripes in and it works fine.

Apple didn't touch or change the extras.rsrc in 10.5. It's the same one that was with 10.4.

But just to remind you, unless you use a Aqua variant it's going to look like ass. Very few GUI elements are still being drawn from the Extras.rsrc.

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Nov 20, 2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Ahem, all 10.4 Extras.rsrc work with 10.5. How do I know this? I tried. I stuck Smooth Stripes in and it works fine.

Apple didn't touch or change the extras.rsrc in 10.5. It's the same one that was with 10.4.
My apologies. I'm not very knowledgeable on theming, I'm afraid, and what I'd gleaned from other threads led me to believe than skinning Leopard was somewhere between very difficult and nigh-on impossible.

If I get the time, I may just make myself the theme I so desire. But sadly, it's a question of getting the time...

But just to remind you, unless you use a Aqua variant it's going to look like ass. Very few GUI elements are still being drawn from the Extras.rsrc.
I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean here, but what I'd do (if I did make the theme) would be keep everything pretty much as it, but ditch brushed metal and Mail's default 'selected' look, and replace it with pinstripes similar (but slightly more emphasised) to the ones used when a window is backgrounded. As such, it wouldn't really be a theme so much as a minor change to the GUI.

Forum Links
Forum Rules