Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Germs freaking you out?

Germs freaking you out?
design219
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2008, 11:01 PM

They freaked me when I was a kid. Geez, I had to be hurting to use a public restroom. I don't know where I got a fear of germs from, maybe some educational school film or maybe my parents made a staphylococcus aureus remark at a very impressionable moment in my life.

Anyway, as an adult, I seem to not worry about them so much. I've learned some germs are our friends! But I still use anti-bacterial hand soap.

And you?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2008, 11:05 PM

Absolutely paranoid of them.

Of course I've had to adjust. I have kids and when they get sick you need to comfort them. Not kissing or hugging them is not an option. Just a few weeks ago a stomach bug blew through my family. I spent nights on end, holding my kids as they suffered through dry heaves and puking on me.

I hate the idea of germs but when you have children you quickly find out they're little germ bags

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2008, 11:08 PM

I eat germs for lunch. I don't wash my hands after handing dollars bill for my hamburger. I follow the 5 seconds rule for dropped food.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2008, 11:10 PM

I stopped washing my hands with soap as a kid listening to a radio show about how it affects your skin and that bacteria help your immune system. Anecdotal I know, but I am never or very rarely sick - however my cousins who had a mother who was completely obsessed with hygiene (to the point where they had to wash their hands with soap before and after going to the toilet, brush their teeth after a glass of cordial etc. etc.) have horrible immune deficiencies and get sick from nothing.

I do rinse my hands after going to the toilet (I feel weird if I don't) and shudder from the people who don't (in public restrooms).

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2008, 11:11 PM

I'm pretty relaxed when it comes to germs. I take showers everyday and wear fresh clothes etc... but I think certain problems can arise if one if overly hygienic.

Cipher13
Jan 30, 2008, 11:27 PM

Germs? Meh. If they don't kill me, they'll only make me stronger. I work with some pretty nasty ones every day.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2008, 11:34 PM

I'm pretty sure the lack of mud pies in the average 6 year old diet is the cause of many childhood sicknesses.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2008, 11:37 PM

I grew up on a farm. Having one's hand licked by cows/horses/dogs/cats and later on eating an apple liberated from the neighbour's orchard was nothing unusual. That's what we have immune systems for.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2008, 11:42 PM

I grind dirt into my cuts.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2008, 12:27 AM

No. There's billions of them on me, in me, and everything around me. Freaking out about that would do no good whatsoever.

Also, what does not entirely kill them only makes them stronger -- all these anti-bacterial soaps and supper-cleansers are actually aiding in the evolution of serious resistant bacteria, and by avoiding all contact with germs from a young age, we don't allow our immune systems to fully develop. Over-cleanliness is strengthening them and weakening us.

Not that you should be a slob -- wash your hands after using the restroom, shower before you start to smell, out of politeness if nothing else, and don't eat rancid food, but other than that, what good is freaking out going to do you?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
don't eat rancid food
Agreed with the exception of some cheeses and that swedish rotten fish which is soo tasty.

However washing your hands is supposedly the most important thing you can do to fight infection.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 31, 2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Agreed with the exception of some cheeses and that swedish rotten fish which is soo tasty.

However washing your hands is supposedly the most important thing you can do to fight infection.
Cheeses that are rancid taste awful anyway. And ‘tasty’ should never be used in the same sentence as surströmming without some kind of negator. Ever.

I’m very lax about germs in general. I wash my hands after restroom visits, I shower daily (if I’m going out, anyway), and I don’t eat stuff if I can see spores and living things growing out of them where they’re not supposed to be (like mushrooms, once they start getting hairy).

When I lived in China, I’d usually eat in small, very unhygienic places where you sort of wished you hadn’t started wondering what that odd-coloured shape on the floor might be. I’d eat food if I dropped it on the table, but not if I dropped it on the floor. Never got sick from it. Only thing that would stop me from coming to a place again was if I found cockroaches in my food. Now they gross me out like nothing else. Eurgh. Thankfully, I only found cockroaches in my food twice in 16 months.

Edit: Wiki’s just told me that dental plaque (which I’m guessing we all have, to some extent) is actually made up in part of streptococci. That’s actually just a bit ew.

Tiresias
Jan 31, 2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454 View Post
but I think certain problems can arise if one if overly hygienic.
You mean like fresh breath and lack of B.O. ?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2008, 12:23 PM

I eat germs everyday. It makes me strong.

-t

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
You mean like fresh breath and lack of B.O. ?
No, like weakening our immune system while making antibacterial resistant germs.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2008, 01:29 PM

I have a mild case of OCD. The roughly translates to washing my hands about 40 times a day and not letting dirty people touch my stuff (guitars, for example). Oh, and shaking hands is a no-no, you filthy insects.

But still, the chicks dig clean blokes who don't go touching everyone else.
( Last edited by Doofy; Jan 31, 2008 at 01:50 PM. )
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2008, 01:49 PM

We should do away with hand-shaking and replace it with leg humping. Seriously, replace it with a bow, like the Japanese.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I grew up on a farm. Having one's hand licked by cows/horses/dogs/cats and later on eating an apple liberated from the neighbour's orchard was nothing unusual. That's what we have immune systems for.
Same with me. I rarely got sick as a kid but with 2 kids of my own now, I do get sick more often, but it's very rare that I get sick enough to miss work.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2008, 02:18 PM

I wash my hands regularly and shower as needed, I'm not a freak about it. You wanna keep from getting sick? Wash your hands and don't touch your face, especially your eyes.

Like everything else in life you gotta find balance. Somewhere in between being a filthy pig and being anal about germs you get a healthy immune system combined with the right amount of hygiene.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 31, 2008, 07:38 PM

Antibacterial hand soaps actually can help make the bugs stronger. There are few real applications for such soaps-using them outside of these applications actually improves their resistance to antibacterial agents.

I have a long history of being sanitary, but not paranoid of germs. I clean some things with bleach, but mostly it's soap and warm to hot water.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Antibacterial hand soaps actually can help make the bugs stronger. There are few real applications for such soaps-using them outside of these applications actually improves their resistance to antibacterial agents.

I have a long history of being sanitary, but not paranoid of germs. I clean some things with bleach, but mostly it's soap and warm to hot water.
And studies have shown that even HIV is taken care of by regular soap and water.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Tiresias
Jan 31, 2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
They also love being called, "The chicks".

And please don't use the word "dig" like that again. Ever.

Tiresias
Jan 31, 2008, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
And studies have shown that even HIV is taken care of by regular soap and water.
HIV is a virus. Soaps, anti-bacterial or otherwise, can no effect on viruses. It is the mechanical action of hand washing that removes the virus particles, so even a wet towel would do that (although that would not take care of the bacteria).

Antibacterial hand soaps actually can help make the bugs stronger.
I find this hard to believe. It's not like you are submerging your entire body in antibacterial solution, or drinking it. The fact is, your body is hiving with bacteria. We have more bacterial DNA than human DNA. Washing you hands will keep the worst foreign bacteria you pick up from getting into your body via hand-mouth and hand-eye contact. I don't see how it could possibly cause a change in bacterial evolution. Do you have a link, or are you just making this sh*t up as you go?

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2008, 11:16 PM

HIV is a virus. Soaps, anti-bacterial or otherwise, can no effect on viruses.
Good point.

I don't see how it could possibly cause a change in bacterial evolution.
That is how evolution has generally worked. Pressures on a group of living things allow the more fit to survive. Some bacteria may be slightly better at surviving contact with anit-bacterial soap, and thus reproduce more after all his unfit bacteria brothers have been killed off.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2008, 12:15 AM

HIV is a virus. Soaps, anti-bacterial or otherwise, can no effect on viruses. It is the mechanical action of hand washing that removes the virus particles, so even a wet towel would do that (although that would not take care of the bacteria).
That's why I said taken care of.

People buy into the anti-bacterial craze and it's silly. Too may people are germ crazy.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2008, 12:37 AM

I don't like germs.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2008, 02:56 AM

I have a mild case of OCD. The roughly translates to washing my hands about 40 times a day and not letting dirty people touch my stuff (guitars, for example). Oh, and shaking hands is a no-no, you filthy insects.

Dude .... I am in the same club as you.

I really like the Korean, Japanese and Thai introductions far better than our own. Instead of shaking hands with some bloke who just grabbed his pecker in the loo, they just bow and smile. MUCH nicer.

I NEVER touch door knobs or handles. I carry tissues in my pocket and hand sanitizes for the times that I in-advertantly touch something.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2008, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
People buy into the anti-bacterial craze and it's silly. Too may people are germ crazy.
Originally Posted by driven View Post
I NEVER touch door knobs or handles. I carry tissues in my pocket and hand sanitizes for the times that I in-advertantly touch something.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2008, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Hey ... each his own .... I personally don't want to get sick.

If you want to consume someone else's germs .. and it's ok with you then that's fine. I won't give you the emoticon.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2008, 10:27 AM

Then why are you wilfully increasing your risk of it?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2008, 10:37 AM

I really like the Korean, Japanese and Thai introductions far better than our own. Instead of shaking hands with some bloke who just grabbed his pecker in the loo, they just bow and smile. MUCH nicer.
Exactly.

They once did an analysis of a bowl of peanuts which had been sitting on the end of a bar for an evening. Found something like 19 different people's urine in there - from where blokes had been to the head, not washed their hands then dipped into the peanuts on their return. No thanks!

Plus, can't be too careful these days - little cut on your hand, little cut on theirs... ...shake hands and bang you're dying of AIDS.

I NEVER touch door knobs or handles.
I'm not quite that bad, but I always use what appears to be the least used part of the handle.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2008, 10:38 AM

They also love being called, "The chicks".

And please don't use the word "dig" like that again. Ever.
Get over yourself, you boring man.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2008, 10:40 AM

I don't think AIDS or HIV spreads quite THAT easy ... but there are other buggers that do. That skin eating bacteria gives me pause.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2008, 10:44 AM

I don't think AIDS or HIV spreads quite THAT easy
No idea - haven't really researched it. Always thought it was any blood transfer. Still, I like to err on the side of caution.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2008, 10:51 AM

It requires a certain amount of blood that I doubt a handshake is going fulfill, unless you're cupping crushed glass at the time.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2008, 11:26 AM

That said: I think the old technique (as immortalized in westerns) of cutting your hand with a knife and then shaking on it is absolutely out.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2008, 11:49 AM

You won't get sick by acting like a normal human, seriously, at what point did this obsessive behavior start for you?

I rip 200 year old buildings apart for a living. I get cuts all over my hands, and I never wash them while working (it's pointless).

I haven't been sick in over a year AND I'm a smoker, chew on that. My immune system is rock solid thanks to the grime I encounter. I suggest you ween yourself off of such ridiculous behavior like carrying tissues around with you everywhere you go.

Edit: Also, you realize that there are millions of bacteria swimming on your face at this very moment, right? You are only fooling yourself into believing that you are 'clean.'

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2008, 12:03 PM

I'm not quite that bad, but I always use what appears to be the least used part of the handle.
I hate to break it to you, but that's very UN-Rock n' Roll.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2008, 09:47 PM

I never get sick. My immune system is primed on other people's germs. That's exactly why I DON'T get sick.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2008, 01:59 AM

After nearly getting killed from bacterial meningitis that I contracted on an international flight I hope you'll all forgive me if I don't subscribe to the theory that my body has to "learn" about other germs. Another 3 hours later to the hospital and I wouldn't be writing this message.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2008, 02:07 AM

After nearly getting killed falling down a flight of stairs I hope you'll forgive me if I don't subscribe to the theory of gravity either.
Poor analogy I know. Too tired for this crap

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2008, 02:10 AM

After nearly getting killed falling down a flight of stairs I hope you'll forgive me if I don't subscribe to the theory of gravity either.
Poor analogy I know. Too tired for this crap
Good for you. Enjoy life. If you are so tired, maybe you should go to bed. Just a thought.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2008, 02:17 AM

I'm at work.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2008, 02:27 AM

I'm at work.
Sorry.

I'm back at work in 2 days. (yuk). I commute by jet. I'm work out before I get there. (So I feel for ya buddy....)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2008, 04:26 AM

After nearly getting killed from bacterial meningitis that I contracted on an international flight I hope you'll all forgive me if I don't subscribe to the theory that my body has to "learn" about other germs. Another 3 hours later to the hospital and I wouldn't be writing this message.
Man, I though a handshake was bad enough. Kissing as a form of introduction is always a bad idea. Meningitis, TB, and all sorts of nasty things can be contracted through kissing.

That's why I don't even kiss my gf. I wear a condom when she kisses me.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2008, 06:18 AM

I lived in China during the SARS outbreak, that was a bit scary, the army were doing spot temperature checks on people in cars, body temp too high, your passport was confiscated and you get sent to an isolation camp (full of people with SARS).

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2008, 09:50 AM

Being exposed to pathogens in some way IS how your body learns how to defend itself. Really. This is how inoculations work.

How did you pick up bacterial meningitis on a flight in the first place? Did you live in a dormitory or share an apartment before the flight? Bacterial meningitis is the bane of communal living around here-you have to sign a statement that says you understand the risks before being allowed to get a college dorm room. Here's one local school's info on it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Being exposed to pathogens in some way IS how your body learns how to defend itself. Really. This is how inoculations work.

How did you pick up bacterial meningitis on a flight in the first place? Did you live in a dormitory or share an apartment before the flight? Bacterial meningitis is the bane of communal living around here-you have to sign a statement that says you understand the risks before being allowed to get a college dorm room. Here's one local school's info on it.
I have no idea how. I took sick less than 12 hours after getting off the flight. They put me in isolation. I subsequently learned that 3 or 4 other people on the flight also got sick. It was a long-haul flight (18 hours) so I had plenty of time to be exposed. I have no idea if the people were sitting near me or not. (I was hospitalized for 10 days I think ... I don't remember the first 3 or 4 of it.)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

AngelaBaby
Feb 4, 2008, 12:43 PM

I like to be clean but I'm not a germ freak. If you keep killing germs then you're keeping your immune system low on the immune scale.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2008, 01:20 PM

Chill out and eat some cake mix.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules