Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So that's new

So that's new
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2021, 07:20 AM

For the last two years I have been studying for my professional teaching qualification and now I have it. I have also been busy working part time at the college college while running my own consultancy business.
Well now I am fully qualified I have decided its time to make a late(ash) life career jump so from August I will be a full time lecturer in Computing at New College Swindon, teaching level 2 and 3 computing and level 3 eSports.

Turns out I really like the students and teaching in general so even though it represents substantial salary reduction... it's time to do it.

Excited to get stuck in full time next year, plus all those lovely holidays off. Some actual work required in term time apparently.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 30, 2021, 08:27 AM

Congrats! If you have any Rocket League tips let me know.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 30, 2021, 09:45 AM

Congratulations on finding a passion. I always loved teaching, in spite of - or maybe because of - the “interesting” ideas some students came up with.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2021, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Congrats! If you have any Rocket League tips let me know.
I feel we are separated by a common language here?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 30, 2021, 12:50 PM

Rocket League is a popular eSports game. If you're teaching college-level eSports, I'm sure you have some great tips.

andi*pandi
Jun 30, 2021, 02:36 PM

Playing hockey by driving cars into the puck and trying to aim it at the goal while also crashing a lot.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2021, 03:38 PM

I’ve never played Rocket League, but isn’t it more like soccer? As in it uses a ball which can catch air?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 30, 2021, 04:18 PM

Doc, I don’t know what college students in the UK do when they aren’t in class, but my friends have simply introduced a time wasting college bar (not at all like a pub) activity.

In my college-age years, there were sports trivia games, air hockey, and a few other physical games. Now, the electronic age has reduced the physical effort involved in pretending you’re not at the bar to get drunk to essentially nil. It’s sad.

On the other hand, my teaching experience is all in military technical schools. NONE of my students cut class, and darn few fell asleep on me. If they’d had a few too many the night before (possible with some) they had to gut it out and act like they were just fine until after class. Oh, and classroom management was pretty easy too: I could get a student actually put in jail if they were too disruptive/non compliant/etc. That was nice.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2021, 03:25 AM

The course specific game is Super Smash Brothers.
My units for this year are Managing a Team, branding and marketing, ethics, shout-casting and sponsorship, so not a lot of involvement with the playing, the qualification revolves around running an eSports team and a career in eSports management more than playing but I'll share any interesting stuff that comes up.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2021, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Doc, I don’t know what college students in the UK do when they aren’t in class, but my friends have simply introduced a time wasting college bar (not at all like a pub) activity.

In my college-age years, there were sports trivia games, air hockey, and a few other physical games. Now, the electronic age has reduced the physical effort involved in pretending you’re not at the bar to get drunk to essentially nil. It’s sad.

On the other hand, my teaching experience is all in military technical schools. NONE of my students cut class, and darn few fell asleep on me. If they’d had a few too many the night before (possible with some) they had to gut it out and act like they were just fine until after class. Oh, and classroom management was pretty easy too: I could get a student actually put in jail if they were too disruptive/non compliant/etc. That was nice.
The polar opposite of most of my students. Level 2 and 3 are pre university level quals but attract the less academic students as BTEC is a vocational qualification. A lot of my students have EHCPs (Educational Health and Care plans and other SEN needs so the level of attainment and engagement can be frustrating. That said I particularly like these students as they have almost always had a rough journey through the school system and usually have failed a lot with academic quals. They present a somewhat unique outlook and can be challenging but they are always fun.

As such its a lot more of a combined journey than simply setting work or lecturing, its more like being in it with them and making sure they all get there to the end despite their best efforts not to.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2021, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
The course specific game is Super Smash Brothers.
My units for this year are Managing a Team, branding and marketing, ethics, shout-casting and sponsorship, so not a lot of involvement with the playing, the qualification revolves around running an eSports team and a career in eSports management more than playing but I'll share any interesting stuff that comes up.
Just main Meta Knight. gg2ez

andi*pandi
Jul 1, 2021, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I’ve never played Rocket League, but isn’t it more like soccer? As in it uses a ball which can catch air?
There are soccer options, and for the truly insane, a basketball option. Hockey is easier. The puck does catch air. You can drive on the walls and the puck goes up the walls.

Super smash bros: wii fit trainer is deadly.

OreoCookie
Jul 2, 2021, 06:55 AM

I applaud you for your courage, most people are not willing to really change up their lives like that.

Teaching and mentoring the next generation is a valuable thing to do, even when it is hard. In my experience, the most rewarding teaching experiences happened outside of the classroom, especially involving students who were struggling for one reason or another.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2021, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
There are soccer options, and for the truly insane, a basketball option. Hockey is easier. The puck does catch air. You can drive on the walls and the puck goes up the walls.

Super smash bros: wii fit trainer is deadly.
Got it! Thanks for the clarification!

petrthomas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2021, 02:41 AM

I admire your bravery; most individuals are hesitant to make such drastic changes in their lives.

Forum Links
Forum Rules