Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bowdlerized Song Lyrics

Bowdlerized Song Lyrics
ghporter
Administrator
Jun 25, 2005, 08:07 PM

I was just listening to "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison on the radio, and noticed that they played the whole thing! They didn't do something to "sanitize" the lyrics! In the last verse, there's a line about "making love in the green grass/behind the stadium" that always used to get chopped or looped over-as recently as a couple of years ago.

On the same station, though, I heard "Walk on the Wild Side" by Lou Reed, and it WAS still chopped. They dumped the whole second verse.
Candy came from out on the island.
In the back room she was everybody's darling.
But she never lost her head
Even when she was giving <deleted>
She said, hey baby, take a walk on the wild side
She said, hey babe, take a walk on the wild side
And the coloured girls go, doo doo doo, doo ...

You can see that there is some "objectionable" lyric (which I have omitted) that caused the radio station to expunge the whole verse. Interestingly enough, they don't do anything about the "colored girls" line in the fourth verse... Nor do they do anything about the reference to using Valium-legally or not-in the same verse. Very interesting.

Lately, I've heard a LOT of songs with an interesting new instrument: the "beep." It's funny how they seem to use this instrument just when it seems the singer is about to utter something that's not quite "sanitary."

Which way does everybody see as better for avoiding "FCC entanglements?" Chopping out whole verses, or beeping the "bad words?"

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 08:14 PM

you know what I think?

FUÇK the FCC!!

(and your damn word filter! )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2005, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Which way does everybody see as better for avoiding "FCC entanglements?" Chopping out whole verses, or beeping the "bad words?"
Is this a poll?

Is "leaving the country" an option?

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jun 25, 2005, 08:28 PM

No not a poll really. And while I don't think the FCC is run by rocket scientists, there is some reason for controlling content, at least when kids are likely to be listening. I for one would not want my son to learn that sort of language from the radio. He should learn it from his friends, the way I did-at least he'd learn context and meaning that way.

Anyway, considering how many people don't listen to music on the radio anymore-and use iPods and other similar devices for their music-maybe my question would have been better as "which way is less disturbing to the song?"

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2005, 09:22 PM

I've never heard either Brown-Eyed Girl (not that I'd ever want to hear it again after playing it every weekend for 12 years) or Walk on the Wild Side edited. If it's come down to editing songs that have been aired unedited for over 20 years, then I will also chime in with my Fück the FCC as well.

When I saw Todd Rundgren back in about 91, he did a lovely ballad called Tipper, in which the lyrics went something like:

Tipper, oh, Tipper Gore,

I wannna...

**** YOU!

I lolled. Todd's the Man.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules