Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > upgrading Mac Mini 1,25GHZ/512/40/56K/

upgrading Mac Mini 1,25GHZ/512/40/56K/
nickname
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 11:14 AM

I have the PowerPC G4 Mac Mini, 1.25ghz, but want to try doing so upgrades to it. I've found numerous pages on how to upgrade the intel solo to a duo, but is there anything else I can do?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2006, 11:48 AM

well you have a g4 so your options are as follows

upgrade ram (1gb is tops unless theres a 2gb stick that fits in there :shrug

upgrade hard drive (mac mini drives shipped with 4200rpm drives, so bumping this to a 5400 or even better a 7200 drive will show noticeable improvements)

add wireless and bluetooth (gotta take this to an authorized apple tech and for $50 you get bluetooth and wireless capabilities added to your machine...although you still have to purchase an airport extreme card to use your wifi)

and last and most dangerous...you could upgrade the processor sorta. there are tutorials on the net on how to overclock your mini, and although i dont suggest you do so...if youre the type who needs the numbers, it is possible. anybody could correct me if im wrong here, but i believe the 1.25 could overclocked to 1.5 with no issues of failure and the like, and best of all...it's free. though if you mess up you lose your mac mini and even if you succeed...it will no longer be covered by apple.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

nickname  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 11:55 AM

got it off ebay. so no apple support.

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 04:31 PM

Then google for the g4 mac mini cpu overclocking vids/slideshows and go for it!

Memory and disk help. An external firewire drive makes a big difference (use it as your boot disk) if you don't feel like opening up the mini to replace the drive.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

Forum Links
Forum Rules