Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > amazon download service rocks

amazon download service rocks
macfantn
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2008, 05:02 PM

just bought 3 tracks one .89 one .99 and one 1.28 not sure why it was that much, but they are 256kbps and sound good and they are mp3 format so i can burn an mp3 disc which plays in my car unlike aac from apple. plus drm free rocks, the album artwork is high quality and they load up right in itunes.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2008, 05:44 PM

Buy some punctuation next time you place an order, too.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2008, 05:44 PM

Never mind - I tried thinking.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2008, 06:24 PM

This idiot almost never uses any kind of correct punctuation. He doesn't even try.

I'm not talking about occasional misspellings. I can't spell worth a darn.

His message is lost in his lack of respect for us.

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Buy some punctuation next time you place an order, too.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2008, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
just bought 3 tracks one .89 one .99 and one 1.28 not sure why it was that much, but they are 256kbps and sound good and they are mp3 format so i can burn an mp3 disc which plays in my car unlike aac from apple. plus drm free rocks, the album artwork is high quality and they load up right in itunes.
I don't believe you.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2008, 07:52 PM

Tell us what songs and then we'll decide if you made the right decision.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2008, 08:35 PM

Yea, Amazon was late to the party but they really nailed the music download store. Four times the number of DRM-free labels, lower prices, higher bitrate, and broader compatibility than iTMS.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2008, 08:56 PM

You can burn mp3 CDs with iTunes. I'm not sure why you suggest that you can't.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2008, 08:57 PM

I made the same comment vmarks (and then deleted them), but that doesn't work with protected aac files, right?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2008, 08:59 PM

just bought 3 tracks one .89 one .99 and one 1.28 not sure why it was that much. . .
Amazon charges based on the length of the song.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2008, 08:59 PM

I did try Amazon MP3 download a couple times, it's good and I had no problem with the transaction. However, I rather use the iTunes store, it's easy and no need to go thru the web browser thing.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
I made the same comment vmarks (and then deleted them), but that doesn't work with protected aac files, right?
MP3 CDs, no, but you can still burn CDs.

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Yea, Amazon was late to the party but they really nailed the music download store. Four times the number of DRM-free labels, lower prices, higher bitrate, and broader compatibility than iTMS.
Lower prices? No — it's more expensive in some cases. Higher bitrate? No, it's the same as iTunes Plus, only in an inferior format. Four times the number of DRM-free labels? Yes, but it's got nothing to do with any particular cleverness on Amazon's part. Jobs was talking up the idea before the iTMS was even out.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Lower prices? No — it's more expensive in some cases. Higher bitrate? No, it's the same as iTunes Plus, only in an inferior format. Four times the number of DRM-free labels? Yes, but it's got nothing to do with any particular cleverness on Amazon's part. Jobs was talking up the idea before the iTMS was even out.
I don't know what music you're into, but the majority of the songs I buy (recent major label music) are $0.89; that's 30% cheaper than iTMS Plus. The bitrate is higher than the closest priced iTMS tracks and on par with iTMS Plus. The codec is slightly inferior from a quality/space perspective (although most listening tests can't really tell the difference), but so much more compatible with a wide range of devices that it makes it worth it to me (especially when it's at 256kbps). We have no idea when Amazon was talking to the labels about DRM free.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2008, 11:11 PM

iTunes Plus is $.99 btw.

The only reason Amazon has all the labels DRM free is because the labels are trying to break iTunes' dominance.
Vandelay Industries

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2008, 11:54 PM

I bought Kate Nash Foundations, Vampire Weekend A-Punk and Alkaline Trio Metro.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2008, 12:00 AM

I'm tired of people "praising" Amazon for this.

It has nothing to do with Amazon.

It's only about the MI / labels, that would like to break iTunes' dominance, so they can go back to ripping off the consumer.

Apple is NOT the bad guy here, they are only working within the restrictions the MI dictated to them in the first place.

-t

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2008, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
iTunes Plus is $.99 btw.

The only reason Amazon has all the labels DRM free is because the labels are trying to break iTunes' dominance.
So you do think that as soon as Amazon gets enough market share, they're just going to go "Whoops! Now DRM-free is gone, even though it was a major selling point of our store and all our tracks are in a format that doesn't support any DRM"?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2008, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
So you do think that as soon as Amazon gets enough market share, they're just going to go "Whoops! Now DRM-free is gone, even though it was a major selling point of our store and all our tracks are in a format that doesn't support any DRM"?
Don't you get it ?

It has nothing, *NOTHING* to do with what Amazon wants to offer.

The MI / labels call the shots. They are pimping Amazon out to steal share from iTunes.

-t

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2008, 12:16 AM

What makes you think Amazon will be any more likely than Apple to do something they consider a bad business decision?

What makes you think Amazon will feel forced to obey the RIAA's every decree any more than Apple does?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2008, 12:17 AM

i am not pro amazon or pro itunes, but i do like mp3 so i can burn a 100 tracks or so to a cd to play in my car. My car stereo only reads mp3s not aacs.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2008, 12:21 AM

What makes you think Amazon will be any more likely than Apple to do something they consider a bad business decision?

What makes you think Amazon will feel forced to obey the RIAA's every decree any more than Apple does?
Nothing, because I didn't say that.

The only reason why Apple was able to resist the MI was because of their success in the marketplace. Otherwise, we would have constantly changing prices at iTunes.
The $ 0.99 pricing scheme is brilliant. I *ALWAYS* know what price I will get at iTunes.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2008, 12:22 AM

i am not pro amazon or pro itunes, but i do like mp3 so i can burn a 100 tracks or so to a cd to play in my car. My car stereo only reads mp3s not aacs.
Don't blame Apple, the DRM was dictated by the MI.

If it was up to Apple, they'd offer DRM free AAC. And that would allow you to burn MP3 Data CDs.

-t

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2008, 12:23 AM

No, just that they are preventing Apple from having DRM-free music (except for EMI). They are letting Amazon have DRM-free music as a way to end iTunes' negotiating power over them. The goal is to enable Amazon to grow to be a strong enough threat, which DRM-free is a tool to aid this, so that iTunes will now have to compete with someone. The labels have even stated as much.
Vandelay Industries

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2008, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
iTunes Plus is $.99 btw.
Good point, I forgot their dropped the price.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I'm tired of people "praising" Amazon for this.

It has nothing to do with Amazon.

It's only about the MI / labels, that would like to break iTunes' dominance, so they can go back to ripping off the consumer.

Apple is NOT the bad guy here, they are only working within the restrictions the MI dictated to them in the first place.
We don't really know what went on between Apple, Amazon, and the RIAA. What we do know is the end result: Amazon has the music I want with the freedoms that I want. Apple negiotiated for what they got, as did Amazon, but they both had different priorities (fixed price vs DRM free).

What DRM container would/could they go to?

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
The $ 0.99 pricing scheme is brilliant. I *ALWAYS* know what price I will get at iTunes.
Really? How about those $1.29 tracks we had for a while? Or those $9.99 tracks where you have to buy the whole album with them?

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2008, 12:39 AM

if the aac file is drm free, how can i burn it to mp3 cd without losing quality? I assume that isn't possible.
( Last edited by macfantn; Feb 4, 2008 at 12:46 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2008, 12:39 AM

Really? How about those $1.29 tracks we had for a while?
Stop living in the past. It's over.

Or those $9.99 tracks where you have to buy the whole album with them?
These are hardly the songs people wanna download as single songs.

Imagine Apple doing this for the top 10 singles. Yes, I'd see how people would be upset. But those album-bundle songs are typically B sides.

-t

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2008, 02:37 AM

Ironic, isn't it? In order to break the lock that iTunes Store has over the music industry, they are embracing the one single thing that they worked years on trying to defeat: DRM-free music....
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2008, 03:09 AM

It's not necessarily a bad business decision. The fact that Apple didn't make that decision (to capitulate to every consumer-screwing idea the RIAA comes up with) is the reason the record labels are now trying to take them down.

Because Amazon does not have anything like as strong a vision of this kind of stuff as Jobs and Apple do — and as Amazon knows from being the RIAA's tool against Apple, standing up for reasonable business practices is a good way to get ****-listed.

As I've said before, Amazon just wants to sell stuff. They'll sell pretty much anything you let them. In this case, the RIAA wants to sell high-quality, DRM-free music to try and draw away Apple's customers. It's the digital equivalent of a loss leader. When the RIAA feels its mission has been accomplished and it is no longer bound to Apple, such generosity will no longer be in its interests. Do you really think the RIAA won't try to get a better deal?
Chuck
___

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It's not necessarily a bad business decision. The fact that Apple didn't make that decision (to capitulate to every consumer-screwing idea the RIAA comes up with) is the reason the record labels are now trying to take them down.
Yeah, but the fact that tracks don't cost $2-$3 is also the reason that anyone actually buys them instead of just using Kazaa or whatever. Apple knows this, which is why they price the way they do, and unless they're a bunch of idiots, Amazon is gonna know this too.

As I've said before, Amazon just wants to sell stuff. They'll sell pretty much anything you let them. In this case, the RIAA wants to sell high-quality, DRM-free music to try and draw away Apple's customers. It's the digital equivalent of a loss leader. When the RIAA feels its mission has been accomplished and it is no longer bound to Apple, such generosity will no longer be in its interests. Do you really think the RIAA won't try to get a better deal?
Sure, they'll try. But that doesn't necessarily imply that Amazon will have to give it to them.

Think about it: what direction does heavy competition usually make prices go? Up or down?

[ - removed quote/reply to deleted post - reader50 ]
( Last edited by reader50; Feb 4, 2008 at 07:09 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2008, 01:03 PM

Yeah, but the fact that tracks don't cost $2-$3 is also the reason that anyone actually buys them instead of just using Kazaa or whatever. Apple knows this, which is why they price the way they do, and unless they're a bunch of idiots, Amazon is gonna know this too.
Yes, but Amazon doesn't have the power to enforce this any more than Apple can make all the labels give them DRM-free tracks.

Sure, they'll try. But that doesn't necessarily imply that Amazon will have to give it to them.

Think about it: what direction does heavy competition usually make prices go? Up or down?
This isn't the usual case. The "competitors" have no control over their prices, as far as I'm aware — they're contractually mandated. What competition does is make it so no individual player in the market is too powerful. That's exactly what the RIAA wants, because right now it and Apple are roughly equals and Apple can make demands. If the RIAA can set up lots of "competition," then no distributor has that much power.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules