Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What kind of video camera should I get to use with the new MB?

What kind of video camera should I get to use with the new MB?
El Maestro
Oct 16, 2008, 12:40 PM

I've been reading through the threads here today and I think we all agree that the lack of FW is a serious sticking point with the new MBs. I'm very interested in the new MB for the form factor and size, but I do import video from a MiniDV camera often. The thing is, my employer will buy me a new camera if I need (they're buying the computer too!). A couple of people here have said that MiniDV is a lousy format...so...what kind of camera can I get that will interface with the new MB? Do any exist?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2008, 12:48 PM

Perhaps an AVCHD camera?

You also have the option of getting the older model MacBook, which actually has a pretty fast (2.1 GHz) CPU and FireWire.

P.S. Wrong forum.

El Maestro  (op)
Oct 16, 2008, 12:58 PM

Yeah, I didn't know where to put it...it's about the notebook specifically, but it's also about a peripheral. If a mod can move it, that would be great!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 02:36 PM

An AVCHD camera with removable flash storage, like the Canon Vixia HF100. You'll also want a copy of FCE to edit AVCHD; iMovie "supports" AVCHD by converting it to another format that quadruples the file size. Say goodbye to waiting for DV to import in realtime over Firewire.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2008, 02:50 PM

MInd you it still depends on your budget and circumstances. At the lower end, miniDV still can be the best bang for the buck, depending on what your needs are.

However, in that situation, you'd need FireWire. If you do get a FireWire-endowed laptop, that allows you to keep your existing camera, and migrate to either a DV based format or AVCHD later when you decide what you need. Sticking with a USB-only machine limits your choices in the future, and prevents you from going back to your old tapes.

El Maestro  (op)
Oct 16, 2008, 03:33 PM

You know, the more I think about it I think I'm going to get an MBP. I still, for the life of me, can't figure out why someone thought it was a good idea to take out the FW! Ah well....

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2008, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by El Maestro View Post
You know, the more I think about it I think I'm going to get an MBP.
The upsell is working!

I still, for the life of me, can't figure out why someone thought it was a good idea to take out the FW! Ah well....
See above.

Forum Links
Forum Rules