Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard install crash

Leopard install crash
ahvaugha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 07:47 PM

I have a dual 2.5Ghz G5 and 10.5 will not install. It is reporting that "The Install could not validate the contests of the "Essentials" package.

It says to restart and try installing again, which i have done several times now reformatting each time to no avail.

Is there something wrong with my computer? I haven't been able to install VectorWorks 12.5 as well do to a decompression issue. I ran TechTool Pro and it doesn't say anything is wrong.

My G5 is inoperable at the moment.

ahvaugha  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 04:39 PM

I guess no one else has had this problem. I guess I'll have to take it to a Genius Bar employee.

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2007, 08:57 PM

It could be a bad disk or a bad DVD drive. Does the disk look OK (no goobers stuck to it)?
Mac Pro Quad: 2.66GHz; 4 GB Ram; 4x500GB drives; Radeon X1900, 23" Cinema Screen, APC UPS
PowerBook G4: 1.33GHz; 768MB Ram; 60GB drive

Are
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 12:47 PM

Hi,
I have a Power Mac G5 2.5 ghz, and are having the same problems to install Leopard. After the verification of the content of the install-DVD, i get a message which says there is a problem validating the content of "System Base" (norwegian...)

Have you found out what causes the problems?

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Are View Post
Hi,
I have a Power Mac G5 2.5 ghz, and are having the same problems to install Leopard. After the verification of the content of the install-DVD, i get a message which says there is a problem validating the content of "System Base" (norwegian...)

Have you found out what causes the problems?
Does the message occur before the install starts or after it has completed part of the installation? If it occurs before any installation is performed, then it would have to be a problem with the DVD or the DVD drive. If part of the OS was installed, you might try checking the hard disk for problems:
1) boot from an OS X install disk (and select the language if you want to)
2) look through the menus at the top and select "Run Disk Utility"
3) select options to check and repair the target hard drive

If part of the install was performed before you get the message, you could try this as a LONG SHOT (i.e., there is little chance that it will help): backup your hard drive to an external drive, reformat your hard drive, partition it with one partition, try reinstalling--if the original error occureds before any installation was performed, don't waste your time by reformatting your hard drive.
Mac Pro Quad: 2.66GHz; 4 GB Ram; 4x500GB drives; Radeon X1900, 23" Cinema Screen, APC UPS
PowerBook G4: 1.33GHz; 768MB Ram; 60GB drive

Are
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 02:30 PM

I have tried different options already... Tried upgrade from 10.4 on my old harddrive, put in new hard drive and selected new install of Mac OS X, nothing works. I went to my Apple shop and got a new installation DVD, but the same problem occurs. So I don't think it's a problem with the DVD. Made a copy of the installation DVD onto the harddrive in Disk Utility, to see if my DVD drive was the problem. But it seems to work fine, it made a copy without any problems. Checked my harddrive in Disk Utility as well, and it seems to work fine. Spent an hour on the phone with Apple Support, but they couldn't come up with any solution. They will get back to me though.

Sent my Install log to Apple support as well, maybe they can figure it out....

I'm a new Mac user, so I don't have much experience in finding what causes errors. Hope someone can help me in the end!

enroute66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 09:03 PM

I've been through this and more. It turned out be a bad piece or memory.
Details at: http//icturecube.blogspot.com

enroute66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 09:03 PM

picturecube.blogspot.com that is .

Are
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 03:02 PM

Brilliant solution!! Pulled out my memory and started with only 1 GB of the original Apple memory, but got the same install error message. Changed it to 1 GB of Kingston memory, probably installed by the previous owner, and the OS X installed without any fuss. So I'm a happy Leopard user now! Will buy some new memory.

Thanks!

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2007, 12:13 AM

I am having the same problem, only my install failed saying it could not verify "BaseSystem". Now I cannot get my Mac Pro dual Xeon to start up. I can get to the Unix prompt, and do things like ls that show me I am at the root, but I can't get the OS to boot. Tried restarting with the "C" key, resetting parameter ram, took out the extra 4 gigs of ram (2 sticks of 2 gig each) I had installed over the 2 gigs I got originally (2 sets of 2 512megs), took out one set of 2 512 to try with just one gig in the upper ram. Nothing- I still just get the Unix prompt.
--
Dan Simonson
<[email protected]>

Forum Links
Forum Rules