Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > are the red sox the new yankees?

are the red sox the new yankees?
macfantn
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 11:08 PM

they are on the verge of winning another championship, they contend year after year. they spend more money than any team other than the yankees, they have a nationwide fan base and a great ballpark (best in baseball IMHO). thoughts? opinions?
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2007, 11:25 PM

Sure, if you mean the Yankees w/out A-Rod....

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 11:27 PM

well since he is no longer a Yankee I guess so
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
well since he is no longer a Yankee I guess so
The Royals are going to be awesome now, eh?

abe
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 12:06 AM

The Red Sox Are World Champions!
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 04:09 AM

they are on the verge of winning another championship, they contend year after year. they spend more money than any team other than the yankees, they have a nationwide fan base and a great ballpark (best in baseball IMHO). thoughts? opinions?
Its this irony that prevents me from liking Red Sox fans. They revile the Yankees and yet strive to emulate them. Apparently its only evil to "buy" a pennant when Steinbrener does it, or at least to be outbid by him.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

pinenuts
Baninated
Location: i have moved to another location per peter's message
Oct 29, 2007, 04:24 AM

ummm...hello! their name is RED SOX. if they were the yankees then their name would be yankees. ZOmGz

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 05:18 AM

if you mean that people will start to hate them like the yankees - then yes

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2007, 09:15 AM

They have 75 years of catching up to do.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 09:46 AM

Red Sox fans will never be like Yankees fans... for one thing, Red Sox fans talk funny.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 10:33 AM

Well, just about everyone 'round these parts (St. Louis) hate them already. Probably more than the Yankees.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Red Sox fans will never be like Yankees fans... for one thing, Red Sox fans talk funny.
I'll noodle that some on ma way to tha hoppa.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 02:49 PM

They aren't the Yankees of today,

But they have such a diverse roster right now. yeah they have the big names rolling the big bucks but when was the last time you heard so many players coming up through the Yankee farm system to pull through with such big numbers. Papelbon, Lester, Ellsberry, Youkilis, Pedroia, Delcarman, Bucholtz. All of them started out in either Portland or Pawtucket and climbed their way up.

It seems Steinbrener only uses his farm system when one their giants takes a fall.

I can see how people are going to enjoy hating the sox, but to hate them because of their "Empire" like dominance is pretty low ball. Never once was Terry's employment publicly in question over one games outcome, that to me is just messed up.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2007, 05:56 PM

Nothing is more American than to root for the underdog. That's why Boston picked up so many fans after decades of falling short. That's the reason that I started liking the Red Sox in the early 90's. They became my favorite AL team (but never above my Astros) not because of who they were, but because of who they were not.

They couldn't win the Series. They always screwed up when it counted most. Sure, they spent money, but who cared? They couldn't win!

Now they're loaded, winning, and are expected to succeed. Where's the fun in that?

Forum Links
Forum Rules