Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > build_hd_index hogging my CPU

build_hd_index hogging my CPU
zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2007, 01:28 AM

This process called build_hd_index seems to be running every night at around midnight totally hogging the CPU, the parent app is ARD which I do use to control remote machines both to and from work. Why does this need to run? What does it do for remote desktop? and can I somehow stop it from running so my computer isn't churning for hours every night? (Assuming I don't need whatever it is doing)

I notice my memory usage is always way up and I see this process taking 4GB of swap sometimes!

10.5.1 with Time Machine on an Internal 2nd Drive. ARD Active but not running....

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2007, 07:43 PM

Sounds Spotlight related.

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2007, 03:05 PM

If you don't need the index, you could try deleting it from Finder. Use Command-I on the disk icon, then choose the option to delete the index. I think there are also Spotlight options to say that you don't want to index certain things.
Mac Pro Quad: 2.66GHz; 4 GB Ram; 4x500GB drives; Radeon X1900, 23" Cinema Screen, APC UPS
PowerBook G4: 1.33GHz; 768MB Ram; 60GB drive

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2008, 01:07 AM

I found this on Apple support in case anyone is having the same problem...

"It has been suggested in another forum that this can be turned off by selecting the Sharing System Preference, and then under the Remote Management item select options and uncheck the item Generate Reports for all users listed as allowed access."

I've done this just now, so I will find out tomorrow if it makes any difference.

bpja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2008, 08:44 PM

I tried turning off the "Generate Reports" option and it had no effect. I've now renamed the executable buried inside the ARDAgent.pkg to force the issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules