Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Are you a member of the HD revolution?

Are you a member of the HD revolution?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 08:28 AM

Following the news about HD displays and HD movie rentals on the Apple TV has been interesting because I am 100% not interested in spending extra money for HD stuff. I have a 27" TV that is approx. 3 years old. I love it, I know it's not HD but watching movies on it is awesome. If something looks crappy and pixelated on the computer, watching it on the TV makes it look much better (live news streams).

Are you caught up in the hype or are you perfectly satisfied with your SDTV/DVD setup?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 08:32 AM

No, While I now own a 30" (or whatever size) samsung flat screen tv, I've not opted to give Direct-TV more of my money, i.e., signing up for Hi-Def programming.

I think when we replace out main tv (the noted tv above is for the bedroom), I may opt but for now, its being used as a normal lo-def tv.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 08:45 AM

I own a 27" Sony CRT TV that does 720p and 1080i, it also has HDMI input. I also own a Sony BDP-S300 which I picked up for $269.00. I am very happy with this modest setup, it provides a noticeable improvement in sound and picture over my old DVD player. I run the whole thing through an old Onkyo 601 receiver. I'm waiting for things to settle down before I invest much more.
( Last edited by davidflas; Jan 28, 2008 at 10:20 AM. )
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 09:27 AM

I have a full HD setup, but things are changing too fast for me to keep up. Contrast ratios keep improving, TVs keep getting thinner, and Blu-Ray features keep changing. It's not like the old days when a TV lasted 10+ years and was still current.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 09:33 AM

I have an old (9+years) analog set and don't watch tv much at all. I suppose I'll wait until next year when I will be force to go digital, and the prices should be lower to look into HD.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Cipher13
Jan 28, 2008, 09:44 AM

Not interested at all, to be honest. I'll adopt it in the future, no doubt, but right now I see no benefit. No movies I like are available in true HD (any that are I'd bet are upsampled).

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 09:52 AM

I have an HD TV but no way to get real HD content on it it. I have SD sattillie and SD DVD (though my player "upconverts").

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Not interested at all, to be honest. I'll adopt it in the future, no doubt, but right now I see no benefit. No movies I like are available in true HD (any that are I'd bet are upsampled).

I find that hard to believe, unless the only movies you like are obscure titles no one has heard of. Most recent movies (last 5 years or so) are available in HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray (i.e., 1080p).

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 10:26 AM

No. I refuse to buy another TV or switch anything with cable until all 1000 channels are HD. The very few that are HD look great, but stretching a 4:3 image to fit is a crime and ruins the whole deal.
( Last edited by osiris; Jan 28, 2008 at 10:47 AM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I find that hard to believe, unless the only movies you like are obscure titles no one has heard of. Most recent movies (last 5 years or so) are available in HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray (i.e., 1080p).
That's not really true. The catalog for both HD DVD and Blu-Ray are both quite small right now. And the majority of my favorite movies are not available on either format.

However, there are no "upsampled" high definition movies. Film offers a higher resolution than HD DVD and Blu-Ray can offer, so if anything you could say the movies are downsampled to fit onto an HD disc.

And yes - I do have an HD setup. It's almost hard to go back to regular TV now.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 10:31 AM

Actually, HDTV is not hype. I think HDTV is the way tv should have always been. I have two HDTV's at home. A 48" DLP Zenith and a 48" Pioneer plasma.

Here's my analogy of HDTV:

Imagine you are driving through Montana during the spring. Your windshield is a little dusty and dirty like they all are. Imagine seeing the cobalt blue skies and the crystal clear air and the mountains in the distance, so clear you can see the trees. Now get out of the car and look at the view with your own eyes. To me, that's the difference between watching college hoops on regular ESPN and watching college hoops on a 48" HDTV on ESPN-HD.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 10:31 AM

Yup, I've got a 46" LCD and a PS3 at this point. Completely happy with the picture quality on the content side (probably because I'm overwhelmed by the quality on the game side).

The PS3 upscales DVDs quite well and until my cable provider (Shaw) stops screwing customers and offers their HD tuner at a reasonable cost, I won't even consider upgrading to HD cable content.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 10:46 AM

I suppose so. A 1080p set and the base HD package from Dish Network. That's the extent of it though. I have no plans on buying into either disc format. That is, until Star Wars is on one.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 11:09 AM

Yes and love it.

I have a PS3 that came with 10 free BR discs and the picture is remarkable on a 1080i projector.
HD OTA is excellent (especially with sports in HD) and DirecTv HD is also an amazing picture.

I hate watching anything in SD after seeing the sharpness and the vibrance of color in HD.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

pman68
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2008, 11:34 AM

I love it too.

I got in real cheap. Got a great deal on a 32" no name LCD ($395). And it rocks. Especially for sports. Looking forward to the superbowl. go pats!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 11:41 AM

I own 3 HDTVs, 2 HD PVRs, and 1 HD non-PVR cable box.

I also have HD DVD.

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
That is of course false. Most recent moves are still not available in either format.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 12:49 PM

Yes. I have a 40" 720p Samsung, a DirecTV HD DVR, an antenna to get HD locals, and HD DVD (which I feed through Netflix). Love it!

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 12:58 PM

I have a 1080i 42" Plasma with an XBOX 360 connected via HDMI for obviously games and upconverting my standard DVD's (yes I know I should be using a stand alone but this works fine.) My next purchase will be a Blu-ray player once I can get a decent model below $250.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 01:09 PM

I would like to, but there don't seem to be any decent sub-$500 HDTVs (at least, not that I've found while shopping), and I'm not that caught up that I'm going to blow a month's pay just to get picture quality as good as the TV I have now only in HD.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 01:11 PM

Yes, I HDTV

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 01:12 PM

Have a 51" HDTV. Love it.

I use it mostly for gaming.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 28, 2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Are you caught up in the hype or are you perfectly satisfied with your SDTV/DVD setup?
Hype?!?!

Watch a single sporting event in HDTV. It's better than being there.

I watch about 95% HDTV content. It's like the switch from B&W to color. Or like the switch from silent movies to "talkies".

Some people just hate change I guess. I am glad I am not one of those people.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 02:57 PM

1080p 40" Samsung and a PS3 here. Dish Network HD and and an antenna for free local HD. If you think there is no difference between SD and HD, something is seriously wrong.

Gaming and watch NBA and NFL games in HD... is the ultimate.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 03:09 PM

BTW, going from broadcast HD to Blu-ray or HD DVD is also another huge step... if you have a very large screen.

Some broadcast HD can look like ass on a 90" projector image. The artifacts of broadcast HD become very, very prominent when blown up that large. (I notice them on my 42" LCD as well, but they don't bother me as much.)

Railroader
Banned
Jan 28, 2008, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
If you think there is no difference between SD and HD, something is seriously wrong.
Seriously.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
No. I refuse to buy another TV or switch anything with cable until all 1000 channels are HD. The very few that are HD look great, but stretching a 4:3 image to fit is a crime and ruins the whole deal.

One of the things that tipped me over was seeing an HD set which detects letterboxing on SD material, and then stretches it vertically.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 04:31 PM

I wonder if there's a run on HD TVs and services in New York and Mass, with their teams in the super bowl and all. The last few years have spurred the sales of HD TVs in locations that had teams make it to the championship game.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 04:34 PM

Good call. Absolutely there is.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 04:38 PM

i don't own a tv

btw my roommate has a decent 50something HD set, and i think its only really nice when watching the sox, everything else i could care less.

when i move out, I plan on snagging a 65-75 gallon fish tank and some Jewel chiclids which will become my HDTV

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Railroader
Banned
Jan 28, 2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I wonder if there's a run on HD TVs and services in New York and Mass, with their teams in the super bowl and all. The last few years have spurred the sales of HD TVs in locations that had teams make it to the championship game.
I believe Costco changed their loose return policy for this very reason a while a go.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
i don't own a tv

btw my roommate has a decent 50something HD set, and i think its only really nice when watching the sox, everything else i could care less.

when i move out, I plan on snagging a 65-75 gallon fish tank and some Jewel chiclids which will become my HDTV
I've given up on my fish tanks. Too much work, for only a 37" equivalent viewing area.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I believe Costco changed their loose return policy for this very reason a while a go.
I didn't mean exchanging, but purchasing. You are correct though. Costco changed what was probably the most liberal return policy because of abuse from people "upgrading" their TVs.

I'm not much of a shopper, so I haven't been out and about this past week here in Boston but I suspect that stores have been busy.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I've given up on my fish tanks. Too much work, for only a 37" equivalent viewing area.
i see it as interactive HDTV that doesn't come with a $100/mo bill?

I already have a 30 gallon and besides filter changes and plant trimmings once a month, i don't consider it much more work the brushing your teeth every morning.

hey, to each his own.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 05:09 PM

No TV.

You wouldn't believe the amount of Need For Speed Carbon racing work you can get done if you don't own a TV.

Plus, the chicks dig it.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 05:42 PM

I'm one of those guys who can wait 5 years or so and buy when the tech gets way cheaper.

I bought a SNES when the Playstation was out. I bought a Dreamcast when they were 35 bucks. I get 32" SDTVs for free (two of them).

When all this malarky about version numbers and firmware updates vanishes I'll buy whatever is cheap and decent.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 05:50 PM

You own a 360, so shut the hell up.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 05:55 PM

At least I didn't buy the HD-DVD drive!

I also bought my PowerMac the second day after it was announced. I had to take out a $2500 loan to buy everything I wanted.

PM is still going strong, and I'm on my second 360 after only a year.....

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
At least I didn't buy the HD-DVD drive!
I hear that.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 06:00 PM

My breaking point is the decent 1080p 30" LCD TV for under 600. Once I see my video games in HD there will be no going back.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 06:38 PM

My breaking point is the decent 1080p 30" LCD TV for under 600. Once I see my video games in HD there will be no going back.
At that size, a good 720p LCD would be even better.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
At that size, a good 720p LCD would be even better.
Yeah unless you're sitting 2 feet away you wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 07:08 PM

Yeah, don't waste your money and effort trying to find a 1080p 30" TV, unless you plan on using it as a computer monitor on your desk or something.

At any reasonable TV seating distance, the benefit of 1080p over 720p is essentially nil on a 30" TV.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 07:11 PM

A 32" 720p LCD is still out of my price range, hopefully in a year.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 07:15 PM

I have HD mainly for sports. I can see a lot of pixilation on my parents old TV that I didn't used to see (especially around words).

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 08:02 PM

52" HDTV and a PS3.

Can't wait for Wipeout HD.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 08:29 PM

46" Sammy DLP, DirecTV HR20, HD-A2
45/47

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 08:38 PM

A 32" 720p LCD is still out of my price range, hopefully in a year.
That's what I opted for but I've yet to upgrade my direct-tv account and I'm in no hurry to give them any more money.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 08:48 PM

I think almost all HD TV (Dish Network) looks like **** on my projector, too much compression. It's not bad on my 52" LCD upstairs, though.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 08:52 PM

I could be wrong but from what I've read, I thought direct-tv compresses their signal less then comcast. Regardless I'll be dumping them as soon as I can. The weather really does effect the quality of the signal and my wife really doesn't like the problems that are associated with direct-tv

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 09:15 PM

Direct TV and Comcast rubbed me the wrong way, so now I'm with Dish Network and I'm much happier.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules