Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox: How delete the bookmarks toolbar?

Firefox: How delete the bookmarks toolbar?
jeff k
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2009, 12:25 AM

I used to use Safari Bookmark exporter to update my bookmarks to Firefox once a month. Does not work anymore, so now I just delete all bookmarkd in Firefox and import them from Safari.
Problem is: real tough to delete them, the program always freezed up. Is there a clean, easy to way to delete them in Firefox? thanks

Gregg
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2009, 11:42 AM

I'm not sure if this will do it, but you can try. Find your org.mozilla.firefox.plist file. It should be in your Home folder > Library > Preferences

Move that file to your Desktop, then start Firefox. If your bookmarks are in that file, they should be gone, as a new "clean" file was created to replace the one you moved. If that didn't do it, you can always move that file back and replace the newer one.

Safari has a bookmarks.plist file, but I cannot find one for Firefox.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2009, 08:24 PM

Gregg,
tried, did not work, surprised, thought it would work. even put that plist in trash and emptied it.
Firefox still kept the bookmarks.

Cold Warrior
Nov 2, 2009, 08:32 PM

Firefox > Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks. Delete whatever bookmarks or bookmark folders you want.
While in this Organize Bookmarks window, click the File menu > Import. This will open the import wizard for importing from Safari.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2009, 08:45 PM

Cold, thanks,
what I'm saying is when I do this, what your wrote, it's very slow, beachball comes up.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2009, 09:02 PM

Toss ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/somethingrandom.default/bookmarks.html
Vandelay Industries

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2009, 10:55 PM

Art, that file was not there, what was there is called:
hi5zct1l.default

I tossed that, but strangely, what came up when lauched was this message,
"cannot open firefox, another version is already open"

Gregg
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
somethingrandom
equals
Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
hi5zct1l
Did you restart before that message came up?
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2009, 05:01 PM

Gregg, yes, I restated Firefox. not rebooted computer.

Gregg
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2009, 03:07 PM

Well, I meant rebooting (=Restart). Admittedly, we need a good term for everyone to use when talking about getting into an application. We can't use Restart because that term is in use. It's in your menu. It only means one thing.

Anyway, if another version is already open, (in reality, or just in the CPU's imagination) a Restart should close it.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2009, 03:12 PM

Gregg, you mean rebooting the whole computer. My only question is, that most preference fixes dont' reqire a reboot of the computer.
Have you tested this or am I the gunia pig?

Forum Links
Forum Rules