Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Windows 10 free upgrade will not be available to pirates

Windows 10 free upgrade will not be available to pirates
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 15, 2015, 11:16 PM

Microsoft will not be providing the free Windows 10 upgrade to owners of pirated operating systems, the software giant has clarified. A blog post by operating systems vice president Terry Myerson doubles back from earlier comments suggesting users of pirated software would receive the update, with the affected users now being required to pay for a full Windows license before receiving Windows 10.

The blog post advises that the offer will apply to "Genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers," not pirates. "These customers purchased their Genuine Windows license from our valued OEM partners, which ensures Windows is properly installed, licensed, and not tampered with." These users will be able to perform an in-place upgrade that will be "seamless," regardless of whether it is performed on Windows 7 or later versions.

If Microsoft is unable to verify that the installation of Windows is "properly installed, licensed, and not tampered with," users will see a desktop watermark advising them of this fact. "If you ever encounter this watermark on a new machine, I encourage you to return the device immediately to the retailer from whom you purchased it and request a Genuine Windows device," Myerson urges, citing higher risks of malware and potential performance issues.

Pirates may not be able to upgrade to a Genuine Windows 10 installation without paying, but they may get some help. "In partnership with some of our valued OEM partners, we are planning very attractive Windows 10 upgrade offers for their customers running one of their older devices in a Non-Genuine state," writes Myerson.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 15, 2015 at 11:49 PM. )

Doodpants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2015, 08:25 AM

I don't understand why Microsoft doesn't just make ALL of their software "not available" for pirates. Then they could end software piracy forever!

prl99
Senior User
May 16, 2015, 03:43 PM

@Doodpants, I think Microsoft considers anyone who fakes an activation code or runs Windows on a non-authorized system (using Fusion???) a pirate. They might consider me a pirate because I took my daughter's old PC running XP (needed it for college) and used its install disk on my Mac. The PC doesn't run anymore and XP runs a lot faster on my old iMac than it ever did on the PC. Am I following Microsoft's license? Not sure. Does that make me a pirate? Maybe in Microsoft's eyes I am. Of course, they won't upgrade to Windows 10 for free from XP so it really doesn't matter.

pairof9s
Senior User
May 18, 2015, 08:32 AM

Pirates are people too...end this blatant bigotry now!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules