Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Audio input device?

Audio input device?
speedballs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2005, 03:23 AM

I need your guys' help. I think I broke my audio input by bending it, I had to plug in a guitar and the adaptor didn't fit too well. So I need to find an alternate way (fixing it would probably be expensive). I know Griffen makes the USB iMic and that might be a good way to go, if it has good quality. Any other ideas? Thanks!

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2005, 12:19 AM

I'm sure there will be people who say the iMic is great and all, but I think it's a chintzy piece that you will wind up regretting. I used one for a few days and was underwhelmed with the overall quality, and I swear to god it made a click noise when I bumped it while trying to record some vinyl from a turntable. The iMic, not the turntable (you smartasses reading along)

M-Audio is your friend. Apple's friend too. You should get nice gear and that way everything you do after that will be that much more 'pro', and you'll feel better about it. Check this thing out-

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...kUSB-main.html

Being a guitar and bass player myself, I think that thing looks badass.
( Last edited by MichiganRich; Sep 13, 2005 at 12:21 AM. Reason: I have klutzy fingers)

speedballs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2005, 12:23 AM

Yeah I've heard quite a few reviews on the lame quality of the iMic as well. We're using this to record a demo cd, but we don't have a whole lot of cash. Would you say this is worth three times the price?

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2005, 05:31 PM

I've never used it. All I know is that the iMic isn't worth one-third its' price.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2005, 09:08 PM

If just 'decent' quality is OK, the iMic will get the job done. But I too have noticed (minor) sound quality issues with it.

speedballs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2005, 10:33 PM

I think I'm going to go with the M-audio device already suggested. It looks to be exactly what I need and will last longer. Thanks for the suggestions!

Forum Links
Forum Rules